VFL - Round 13 vs Casey @ Craigieburn, 2.10pm Saturday 30th June 2018

Can someone tell me how Mutch got BOG over Hind.

The answer to any headline question is almost always ā€œnoā€.

hind doesnā€™t look much when kicking it.

Yeah, like that McKenna fella

To be clear, I never ever said he wasnā€™t working out. If you think heā€™s not working out, you have no idea of the expected development for a guy switching sports like this. And weā€™ve taken Lavender because he has talent and we could get him as a Rookie B.

The entire point is Rookie B spots canā€™t be used on footballers, they have to be used on internationals or guys new to the sport (I believe the academy element has finished, it was temporary).

3 Likes

JDRā€™s idea above about playing him down back has the problem that there are a few guys in the way. But either that, or at a lower league. Somewhere where he can get his hands on it more, since I just find it hard to believe that even if the team wins, if he hasnā€™t felt heā€™s contributed it must be a bit disheartening.

But youā€™d know his mental state better!!!

1 Like

My repeated question is are AFL listed players ever left out if they are fit and available? I didnā€™t think they could be.

As such, it leaves situations like this year, when the side is simply too tall, because all of the listed talls are available.

I too do think about the VFL listed players. But I also wonder if they are there for the team, or to further their own potential career prospects?

1 Like

My question too, . are they allowed to play at a lower level??

1 Like

But whatā€™s the lower league option? It simply doesnā€™t exist I donā€™t think.

Mental state is fine - Iā€™ll compose a longer response about his journey and thoughts in coming days. Heā€™s happy, the Bombers are happy - itā€™s a work in progress!

8 Likes

They are not. And sometimes, the VFL team pay the price for that.

Chin up S_K ā€¦ your boy learned a bit today I reckon and got a couple of touches in the last that showed something.

11 Likes

VFL side has to play AFL listed players in the name of development.
Not great for the VFL side, but good for the AFL listed guys.

1 Like

Donā€™t know if the rules have changed, but Iā€™m pretty sure that some years ago we did have at least one AFL-listed player play at a lower level?

Itā€™s definitely not what you want to do, and it may have been at a time when we had a couple more players on the list?

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™m actually all good. Luke is too! The support he has around him is amazing, a testament to the club!

This is such an amazing ride for us all. Watching him run out in the sash gives me goosebumps every time. He is his own harshest critic but the club is happy with his progress, nothing else matters. Heā€™s never played against adults before and spent some of today on Bernie Vince!

Will he make it? We donā€™t know, and Iā€™d suspect the % of Cat B rookies who do is low. Will we enjoy the ride though? ā– ā– ā– ā–  yes!!!

39 Likes

Yeah for some reason I recall having players coming back via Strathmore/EDFL

Edit: Although could be wrong/mistaken on that.

1 Like

Yes there have definitely been a couple of players who have played a game for Aberfeldie Iā€™m sure.

Canā€™t see anything wrong with Luke playing a couple of games for Abers and hopefully kicking 4 or 5 to get his hands on the footy.

2 Likes

Yeah, but is this in the days of the VFL Development League where youā€™d often see 18 yo drafted ruckman playing in the equivalent of VFL reserves?

Doesnā€™t exist anymore I donā€™t think? If it did, Luke would be a prime candidate.

No, it was EDFL. Not VFL reserves.

Iā€™m not advocating it and I donā€™t know if the rules still allow it (given some clubs are having trouble with ā€œthe points systemā€ as is).

2 Likes

Focus on ā€˜Finding Doryā€™ & allow both the Club & lad some time, please.

4 Likes

This document suggests it may be possible, unless itā€™s only trying to cover a case where someone is sacked from their AFL or VFL club mid-season who then wants to play elsewhere.

Category 6 ā€“ AFL Player ā€“ 6 Points
Player who has played a minimum of one AFL game in any of the current or previous three (3) Seasons.

5.3.2. Category 5 ā€“ State League Tier One ā€“ 5 Points
Player who has played a minimum 5 senior games of VFL, WAFL or SANFL in any of the current or previous three (3) seasons.

1 Like

ā€œThe Nuff is strong in this one ā€¦ā€

1 Like