VFL - Round 2 vs Casey @ Casey, 3PM Saturday 2 April 2022

Kicked two after all that’s happened recently. I didn’t expect him to play more than a half or to even find much of the footy. Good in that aspect that he hit the scoreboard and seemingly spent a lot of time on the ground

2 Likes

Walla had 11 disposals and kicked two goals.

If he did that in the firsts, he would be in the best players. Perkins had about the same and some gave him votes. You are a very hard marker.

5 Likes

VFL is not the AFL. I love Walla, but he is still way off AFL level.

2 Likes

Eyre has looked best in defence.

Might benefit playing in the backline.

1 Like

This is how I saw it. He didn’t do a lot of repeat sprints and didn’t get back in defence with much energy. Just low on petrol tickets.
Needs at least two more VFL games.

5 Likes

Would be nuts to suggest Walla should play next week. I still see him as 2-3 weeks at least in the VFL to get up to the fitness required for repeat sprints… which his role requires

6 Likes

It’s only his second season.

Just let him settle into his forward role for 12 months then reassess.

4 Likes

I think what stands out with Walla is his class and skill with ball in hand.

4 Likes

Waterman’s hands were clean today.

Last season, he was just way too fumbly.

I thought he was easily our best. I know he didn’t get all the possessions…… but he led the fight back, and took his chances infront of goal.

6 Likes

Conforti had 18 disposals today.

Played well.

Good, lets wait till he gets his hands dirty

Then we will know he truly wants it/means it

When you say bests I assume you mean from the AFL listed players?

Because if not then Joe Atley was our best IMO.

1 Like

He was the most ‘AFL level’ player on the ground yesterday by a country mile. Zerk next, daylight the rest.

1 Like

I thought Waterman was good but I would put Hobbs’ performance yesterday ahead of his.

1 Like

Would we be better off playing tippa at a lower level of fitness anyway? His sense and ability to get 2 or 3 goals would always be there regardless. He just wouldn’t be able to do pinch hit in the centre bounces

So now we know why he “unexpectedly” slipped to 13th in the draft. Clarke MkII?
Lets hope he can correct it, or he will need to maximise his “handball to kick ratio” like Cunnington and give up on being a “metres gained” type mid like Merret…

VFL is one thing, AFL is another speed and level completely. He was gassed after the first few minutes of the game. Needs a couple more weeks imo.

1 Like

It’s also an incorrect statement, his disposal was not dodgy. He made a couple of mistakes but all players do that. His kicking isn’t going to be laser brilliant and something he will need to always be mindful of but it isn’t terrible.

2 Likes

His kicking action is fine. He’s not like Clarke. He’ll play soon enough. It’s probably more positional needs that they’ll be evaluating.

1 Like

I’d be stunned if he’s playing seniors before round 6. Too much chance of re-injury as the pace and demands rise.

4 Likes