VFL - Round 2 vs Casey @ Casey, 3PM Saturday 2 April 2022

Most of the talls appear to be developing okay. A bit concerned about Eyre though. Doesn’t really look like a natural footballer.

List looks a bit out of balance. A lot of talls and not much ground level skill and speed.

Hobbs looks as advertised. Looks good by hand, hunts the ball well but kicking needs a fair bit of work.

With a few more games under there belts Brand or McBride will be knocking on the door soon hopefully.
Will Hurley play Ressies anytime soon?
would love some pressure on our AFL backmen.

Brand looks really good. He has Fletcher’s guile IMO.

Walla looked a month off being playing weight TBH. He showed his skill… But we know he has that already.

2 Likes

Hobbs is short now?

But I do love Blitz. We want a big bodied contested beast. We want a big bodied contested beast. Oh, and we want him to have elite kicking skills.

Those guys go pick 1-3 in the draft, if you’re lucky enough there is one that year.

2 Likes

Um, aren’t the rumours that Richmond had planned to take him? What makes you certain he wouldn’t have been picked up?

Pretty sure that was deliberate. Give ourselves lots of chances to build the spine, then replace talls who don’t make it with smalls.

I’d argue it was more an acceptable coincidence than a deliberate strategy given how 2020 unfolded.

Sorry nino but this is an absolute stupid call from you

2 Likes

Oh, I agree it wasn’t originally in the plans.

Not enough Brand hype, there is something there for sure. Just a good defender.

6 Likes

Was really the boss of that Cannons backline in his U18 year.
If he can get to a point where his fitness is up to it we could have a really important piece.
Will watch his year with interest!

2 Likes

I’ve been a massive fan of what I’ve seen so far this year. Definitely looks a bit quicker than I was led to believe too.

Can see big things in his future with a bit of luck. I’d really like to see him debut at some point this year

1 Like

I agree. I really like what he brings and have yet to see him play a bad game. Solid as a rock.

I’d actually love to see him take a few more kick ins. He can be so damaging with that monster right boot (again, Fletcher-esque).

2 Likes

Would certainly be giving him the job over Zerk (Sorry Zerk, that kick-in was pretty brutal)

1 Like

If Zerk doesn’t get his look in in the next couple of months I can see Brand jumping him in the queue by then.

Yeah brand looked quicker this week which is good. Zerk is ok but still does some dopey things like being run down in a tackle taking an eternity to get rid of it.

1 Like

Why not give him a crack in the seniors

He’s not ready.

My opinion:

I’d say Atley was our best, most consistent midfielder. 26 disposals and 8 tackles, always cracking in. He’d be very short odds to take out the best player this year for the club.

Waterman our best AFL listed player. 3 goals and 16 disposals up forward (in low disposal games) and was a constant rare strong body that actually held his body in the contest. Comes in for mine, our forwardline could use a strong body to help Wright.

Hobbs our best AFL listed in the midfield. Got 24 disposals, 7 clearances and kicked a goal from a set shot. Had a good last quarter too and getting very close to an AFL debut. A few dodgy kicks probably down to bad decision making than the actual kicks,. He needs to come in asap.

Zerk-Thatcher our best down back for mine, and with a dodgy Stewart he’s in the frame for a call up. Got a fair bit of the ball, 9 marks and made some excellent last second spoils to save the day. Had a few diabolical kicks which resulted in opposition goals but overall a very good day.

Bryan had a very good battle with Daw in the ruck. Both had 13 disposals and 26 hitouts each but I think Daw just shaded him on the day. He’s probably not quite cooked yet but I’d be tempted to have a taste test and bring Draper out and replace him with Bryan. He’s far more athletic, just needs more body size. I think Bryan might end up being the better player in the long run.

Voss shows signs, not out of the realms of possibility he gets a callup but doubtful. The positives are his strength in the contest. Always manages to dish a handball out in a tackle which is rare for us, and thought he presented well around the ground for 7 marks and a goal. Still don’t know what position he actually plays.

I like Baldwin. He had some great moments and whilst he didn’t have a big game he seems to have some smarts in the contest. I love his tackling efforts and his strength in the contest, not as good as last week so maybe they’ll keep him in the 2’s

Tippa kicked 2.2 in a good first outing, and disappeared for large chunks of the game. He still has that magic touch about him, just needs the fitness base. Kicked a few good goals but he’s another 2 weeks away in the VFL minimum for mine. Chasing and fitness just not at AFL standards yet.

McDonough gee whiz. Not sure what version we got but he looks miles off. Kicking looks panicked and he looks like a bog average VFL player out there. I don’t see any obvious strengths and I haven’t seen his much vaunted kicking skills yet.

Hird. I don’t know, he played OK, but do I see him playing AFL on the wings? No. Same as Ham, undersized, average skills and average pace. Does a few nice things from time to time. Doubt he’ll make AFL level.

I like Brands game. Can see him getting a game as that defensive dour stopped down back and would love to see him replace Stewart for some games once we realise the season is over at about Round 13. Also looks bigger, or is that just me? Looks like a Rutten style clone as a player.

I’m predicting Eyre might be delisted by either years end or next years. I don’t see it. Other than those pre-season reports I’m yet to see anything special and he had a pretty bad game again. Few marks, little impact. Baldwin miles ahead.

Lord, not much said cause he does…little. Well nothing I saw anyway, only had 7 disposals. So far the recruits haven’t been impressive.

Fejo no impact and hamstring at half time. Bad day.

14 Likes

All of them.
I can definitely see him as a forward that plays a few cameos through the middle.

Kind of a less explosive Stringer but better overhead. (Positional comparison rather than skill based at this point of course)