VFL Signings - Season 2024

Some do train with AFL through pre-season.
But most VFL players have day jobs so can’t do it.
During the season, AFL train in the mornings and VFL will train at night.
Again, most are working during the day so can’t do much.
VFL is a bit tougher to sort out because some of the VFL list will be playing EDFL rather than VFL. So their training program will differ to the ones that played VFL the weekend before.

Also, there is the problem of IP if VFL is shared with AFL. even the way teams train through the week is to plan a particular way to exploit the opposition. This info shouldn’t be in the hands of players who are part time.
VFL do know the AFL gameplan as far as basics. So our ‘chips in’ play this year was known at VFL level. The plan means different things depending on where the ball is on the ground and is only used sparingly, so it’s not quite as easy to prepare for it.

7 Likes

In the main, separately, but in pre-season they might have the odd 2-3 players in training/intraclub/match sim.

1 Like

Pleased we’ve made a signing, hopefully it continues.

Hope the signings we make don’t leave mid way through the season if they don’t get drafted.

1 Like

I’m back!

big-chungus

2 Likes

Are you Alec Waterman?

2 Likes

Back at Claremont.

That’s a pretty decent pick-up for the VFL side.
Quietly impressed.

Former Adelaide midfielder Jackson Hately has signed with Essendon’s VFL side for the 2024 season.

The 23-year-old joins recent signing Xavier O’Neill and newly appointed VFL Senior Coach Blake Caracella in committing to the Bombers for the upcoming season.

Hately is excited to build on his career in the red and black.
“The club is unbelievable, the facilities are great. I’m really excited to get stuck into it,” Hately said.

“Chatting with Essendon over the last few weeks, I feel like it’s the best opportunity for me on the field. There’s a sense of wanting to create a really strong VFL program, and that’s something I want to buy into.

“I’m really excited to play my best footy here.”

Standing at 191cm, Hately’s strong frame complements a terrific inside game, highlighted by a dominant 2023 SANFL season that saw him take home the Crows’ SANFL Club Champion Award and earn Team of the Year honours.

Initially drafted by the Giants with the 14th pick in the 2018 national draft, Hately notched 13 games in two seasons before requesting a trade back to Adelaide ahead of the 2021 season.

A career-best performance against the Cats in round 11 of the 2022 season saw Hately collect 27 disposals and lay eight tackles, showcasing his potential as a contested player.

Hately averaged 17 disposals per game across his 15 games with the Crows, impressing in limited midfield opportunities during his three years with the club.

Still in the early stages of his career, Hately will bring important physical presence to Essendon’s VFL midfield mix in 2024.

39 Likes

Absolutely fantastic get! He will be outstanding on the inside at VFL level.

9 Likes

Hmm, signing a recently delisted ex-first-round BBM to the VFL squad. Honestly it looks like we’re giving him a chance to play for a senior gig next draft.

20 Likes

Good news.

Geez, the actual investment in a competitive VFL program is the best offseason development to date.

14 Likes

This really is chalk and cheese stuff compared to previous years

3 Likes

Making some really solid moves here

last years VFL midfield at stages was
Rasinac, Walla, Davey and Wanganeen…will be great to have some size in the midfield at VFL level.
potential mid season draft chance you would imagine.

7 Likes

It’s moves like this that makes me think that Vozzo gets it.

He’s a stealth type operator but seems such an improvement from the former GM of Marketing masquerading as a CEO.

8 Likes

Thought this guy was no good.

Like it.

Wonder if these signings have any impact on what we do at the draft? Would we go for a Stevens if we have Hately to play as a big body in the reserves, or would we use that pick for someone else?

Explains why he is playing VFL.

He may well be one of those inbetween levels players. Too good for VFL etc. Perhaps it will click for him.

1 Like

Mid Season Draft maybe!