VFLW 2023 Squad

Norf and the Pies appear to have locked in their VFLW list today. Some might speculate that meant all other clubs did as well…?

Norf have stolen Marianna Anthony from us. They didn’t mention getting Liz McGrath back as ruck, though.

Pies actually posted a list, not just an article. DeMatteooooooooooooo not on it.

NOPE :rofl:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/miarae.cliffo4/3036340637512545247/

(this story will expire at some point; suffice to say she was doing not-kicking things and got smashed, starting a minor brawl. Up and shook it off)

Is a “back three”.

Every other club announcing stuff (including a couple Irish arrivals). Not us. No idea if there is any basis to the below speculation.

Kendra doing some casual crunches (set of 8).

3 Likes

Honey Badger don’t take requests. Doing this instead.

(not clear if she’s cheating and using the pillar for balance)

2 Likes

Peanut made me snort.

Juniors draw released: 13 teams (Tassie added) generally playing each other once across 25 weeks. Calder also play a game vs the Bears Academy to make it a total of 13 games, while Bendigo play GWS and NT and only play 11 of the other teams.

So intermittent opportunities to play for EFC, and likely never for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Caitlin Grech (Cannons/St Bernards, 166cm defender, 19yo in May) on the list?

Close to the final list (26 featured here)?

Plus Gardner, presumably

Comments also hint to a Maddy Pearson and/or Maddy Gray. Photo too murky to call.

2 Likes

The Sun lover just can’t wear black.

1 Like

Look, I got no idea where Mia-Rae is ranked at the Melbourne Rebels, but their squad is 32 and apparently you need 22-23 per game (and she is one of three labelled wings and you need at least two of them), soooooo…

SuperW March 25
VFLW March 26
SuperW April 1 (in Fiji)
VFLW April 2 (not in Fiji)
SuperW April 8
VFLW April 8 (but 4hrs earlier)
SuperW April 14
VFLW April 16
SuperW April 21
VFLW April 22

… and then hopefully they don’t make finals :smiling_imp:

EDIT: named in the starting 15 for this Saturday’s practice match.

1 Like

Essendon squad for this weekend’s practice match…

2 Likes

I got research and data entry to do when I get home!

1 Like

Mia-Rae is a beast.

1 Like

Before I go into more detail on newbies:

• I see Bella Clarke is listed as 3cm taller than last year (173–>176). Her jumper number also got divided by 3.
  • Scarlett Orritt upgraded from 39 to 26.
  • Dicker 166–>168cm.
  • G.L.O.R.I.A is a less undersized ruck via 173–>176cm.

Feel free to disbelieve any of those height changes. But those Bella and G.L.O.R.I.A changes would be nice.

1 Like

This 27 is not the entirety of the 2023 VFLW list, but you can make some fairly obvious conclusions from it.

• There are very few CONFIRMED losses to the squad that are NOT linked to the AFLW (of which there are many, but some may play for us anyway).
  • Those few changes include Marianna Anthony (gone to Norf), Nicole Julian (to Willy), and CBomb (retired).
  • It’s extremely likely there are quite a few more than that (e.g. I don’t think we’ve seen Jesse Davies all pre-season).
  • Various players are named in numbers that have been held by others previously, and fairly obvious conclusions can be made (e.g. Russell in Quigley’s #6, and Jayda Richardson in Nalder’s #30).
1 Like

Phone training time!

Ugle Huta Huta Huta Huta Clifford Krystal Krystal Krystal Krystal JamieeLee JamieeLee JamieeLee Bateman Bateman Bateman Bateman Bateman Cornish Grech Grech Grech Grech Grech BellaClarke BellaClarke Tamsin Spargo Spargo Spargo Spargo Kendra Jorja Jorja Jorja Jorja Jorja NatMac MadGray MadGray MadGray oh ■■■■ there are two Batemans and one of them also clashes with LilyRoseWill LilBateman LilBateman LilBateman LilBateman MelBateman MelBateman MelBateman MelBateman MelBateman Orritt HartAluni HartAluni HartAluni HartAluni JaydaRichardson JaydaRichardson JaydaRichardson Prpic Prpic Prpic Prpic Prpic Prpic Prpic yeah that autocompletes awfully ChloePrpic ChloePrpic ChloePrpic ChloePrpic ChloePrpic ChloePrpic ChloePrpic a bit better Sutton Sutton Pearson Pearson Pearson Pearson Pearson Pearson too many bloody Maddy variations Pearson not great but no choice Manfre GraceDicker GraceDicker Elarmaly Elarmaly Wilson Wilson Wilson

1 Like

#2 Manaia Huta

• Played for Darebin in 2021 and 2022.
  • Western Jet in 2019 and 2020.
  • Listed in the Bests often at Werribee as a junior.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/manaia-huta/

Got tatts since then, see photo posted earlier. Younger than I had guessed!

#5 Zoe Hurrell

AFLW Bin Chicken, sacked already. Is from Sydney, so… interesting.

Below was clearly written by an AFL apologist, or someone from Sydney who knows no better.

At just 20 years of age, Zoe Hurrell already has 10 seasons of AFL under her belt and a list of accolades to go with it. She spent six seasons playing with her junior club Willoughby Mosman Swans, followed by a year with her senior club at Sydney University, before joining North Shore Bombers in 2020. Hurrell played for NSW/ACT and the Eastern Allies in 2018/2019. She was named in the ‘Team of the Year’ for AFL Sydney Women’s Premier Division, while also placing third for the rising star. She also played in the Under 19s QBE Sydney Swans Academy side last year. A versatile player having strengths are at either end of the ground, she is a good reader of the play and likes to play off half-back.

I do remember this goal against us… got her into the first kick first goal club.

Coming full circle:

1 Like