VFLW 2023 Squad

Well I bet 16 of them are spewin they didn’t now

In 2017, all the AFLW clubs passed on Ash Riddell.

Turned out to be an absolute gun when signed the following year by Norf!

I’d take that bet.

16 is an oddly specific number.

Anyway… take the final word from her, today.

1 Like

The difference is that Riddell was 21 in 2017 while Ugle is 26 - Then you add in the increased talented pathways in the last 5 years and the job is harder for Ugle.

She’s focusing on other stuff.

Scary thing is I think she actually trained in that.

1 Like

Various other “last training day” photos/videos, and I can provide zero extra recognisable players.

AFLW #1 Caitlin Sargent present and is probably going to want to get some extra games into herself before the next AFLW season.

Bella no longer has her arm in a sling.

1 Like

The list rules for the 2022 VFLW season were (summary):

1. Standalone clubs will have lists of 40, with AFLW-aligned able to sign 30 non-AFLW players
  2. Once the AFLW season is complete, all clubs can sign an additional 15 AFLW players
  3. AFLW-aligned teams must field five under-22 development players, while standalone clubs must play three
  4. Indigenous players who are yet to make their VFLW debut, NAB League players and NGA members can be signed as Category B development players

So rule 1 nominally reduces our list by 10 (but see the comment below the line later on).

But rule 2 means we can bring in 15 AFLW players (not necessarily from our AFLW list). This rule may or may not change given the AFLW and VFLW seasons no longer overlap.

Rule 3 means up to two more kids-ish players each week.

Rule 4: more Tiwis, please. Depending on the scheduling of the NAB League, players may be available to us earlier than in previous years. I assume the AFL will want to continue to run the junior girl and boy seasons with minimal overlap.

For the record: we started 2022 with 30 senior players on our list and 8 development players (including 27yo Radford :sunglasses:), so 2 short of what was allowed.

We added (at least) 9 more players during the year. That included Barba after the AFLW season ended, with everyone else being an 18-19yo out of the NAB League (4 of the 8 got to play).

1 Like

Back on those likely junior top-up inclusions: Cannon Amy Gaylor training as part of the AFLW Academy at The Hangar.

1 Like

Pioneer Lila Keck

1 Like

Ex-Bomber Tanya Hetherington is one of the coaches.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is new news, but:

Clubs can field AFLW-listed players from round one of the VFLW season

180cm Western Jet Krystal Russell appears to be training with us.

“Krystal Russell lead the NAB League Girls for hitouts in both 2021 and 2022, and booted the sole goal of her Western Jets career with the very last kick of the season – it just so happened to win her side the 2022 premiership.”

2 Likes

If today’s posting is indeed from last night… Mia-Rae is very busy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoGrUdRBchO/

Seems we have a Melanie Bateman from Murray South East, or QLD, or with a basketball background in the USA. Or all of that, and presumably one of the first two featured.

2 Likes

NAB League (sorry, Coates Talent League) has been re-scheduled and as a result you can expect fewer under-agers to play sustained games of VFL(W).

Fixture out “soon” :crazy_face:

Note that as the competitions have been stretched out for six months all the way to the end of September I assume there will be many byes, a stack of female talent will be drafted away before the closing rounds and finals, and their finals will be further relegated to being a mere speck up against the opening rounds of the AFLW and the AFL finals.

… the girls will kick things off on a later start date of March 18, a week before the boys season gets underway on March 25.

Grand Finals for both competitions will be played on the same weekend (September 23-24)

Victorian programs in the Coates Talent League will shortly come together for preseason testing under the eye of Rookie Me. The girls are scheduled do so on March 5 at Narrandjeri Stadium, with the boys to follow on March 12 at Maribyrnong College.

The AwFuL website has updated for the new season, but sadly they haven’t entered our (any?) team list(s?) yet.

To be actually fair, that’s probably because they’re not finalised yet.

Help!

Also, that rugby player keeps coming to training. You can’t finish on 99 games…

1 Like

Looks like she agrees!

2 Likes

Leah Spargo finally on our list?

EDFL Premiers Division team-of-the-year back pocket in 2021. Had at least one ACL to overcome. Keilor/Western Jet.

(post by Clifford)

2 Likes

Two of four quarters. AFAIK she’s the punter/kicker/whatever that role is called, so gets off easy physically.

1 Like