VFLW - FIRST EVER FINAL - vs Casey @ Casey - 12noon Saturday 3 July 2021 - YouTube, CaseyRadio, 3DJR

Why so serious, Millzy?

Oh, I’m not being critical or even having the slightest thought that you are working towards another Blitz first of a match day thread Mark Ii

1 Like

Ha, this is the longest VFLW game thread (despite me doing barely any commentary)
 and last week was the second longest. I clearly have a lot of pent-up thoughts on the passage of the team’s three seasons!

1 Like
  • The corellas and I were the only ones there for the first warmup.
  • Ugez is there for Millzy :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • The Honey Badger did not need sunscreen. That’s war paint.
  • FIVE MINUTES.
  • That dog got more coverage than La Presidenta
 and did he ever thank her?!?
  • I love the inclusion of tackles and related commentary where we didn’t get a free :sunglasses:.
  • FIVE MINUTES.
  • Who is Nat Attack Poster Girl (also seen in the song huddle)? – @Catherine_Lio
  • Nattie in the pre-game speech and Slender at the half-time speech are about to corpse, or go out and die like a cultist for their teammates.
  • “5”
  • Thank you, anonymous competent umpire.
  • Prespakis: “this pile-on thing is amusingly curious.”
4 Likes

Time-adjusted stats:

Name Disposals Contested Possessions Tackles
Darcy Parish 43 28 7
Georgia Nanscawen 40 31 17
2 Likes

I didn’t quite catch it, but will look again. What a great video!

Can’t believe Bloody Lockett - a dog named after a swan - got more air time than us!

More than you, maybe! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Alex Morcom interview
 start at 41:50

by Brooke Hards (click here for more articles by her)

IN our latest Victorian Football League (VFL) Women’s Player Focus, we take a look at Essendon talent and Calder Cannons graduate Georgie Prespakis after an outstanding performance in her first VFL Women’s final on the weekend.

Q1:

Prespakis started very strong in the midfield being used as Essendon’s main target, continuously kicking it forward to keep the ball alive. Prespakis made use of the football whilst on the ground, resulting in a forward 50 entry their way. With Prespakis laying hard tackles, it gave Essendon’s forwards more opportunity to score. Setting up behind the back of the ball ups let Prespakis the chance to get it over the back and to run and carry because of all the space she already created for herself.

With Casey Demons scoring the first goal of the match, it had Essendon hungrier for the football with Alana Barba being another outstanding player who viciously attacked the ball with everything she has got. Tara Slender showed a lot of effort to boar into the pack inside their 50m goal square but unfortunately could not keep it alive as Casey earned the ball back through a kickout. Prespakis on the other hand kept the ball alive 10 minutes and 45 seconds into their first quarter, laying tackle after tackle to create another ball up as it’s on top of their 50m. With only four minutes to go in the first term, Prespakis bashed through the pack and kicked too much to the right side for one behind.

Q2:

Early start again for Prespakis with a free kick on the left side of the field within 40 seconds in the second term. Holding space around the ball shows Prespakis’ game smarts not just at stoppages but even when the ball is a 50/50, that resulted her in getting the ball and turning side on and banging it into her teams inside 50 that turned into a goal from teammate Jessie Davies. With 10 minutes passed in the second term, Prespakis made her way back onto the ground heading straight for the ball as per usual, with her tackling pressure nailing a Casey Demons opponent and winning a free kick.

She waited a few seconds and opted to play on and boots it deep into the goal square with teammate Mia-Rae Clifford taking a beautiful mark that resulted as a behind for the Bombers making it a 16-point lead. Not long after, Slender met the ball out in front as she does and receives the kick from 30 metres out straight in front of goals and nails it with her left foot.

Q3:

Third term starts with Prespakis starting in the middle again, already showing her elite her ball movement across the ground. Giving away a free quick early, it made her eager to win it back for her team as she tracks the ball very smartly and leaves space at ball ups so she can run through with her speed and be free. After Casey Demons kicked their second goal of the match, Prespakis held her ground in the middle where the ball started to flood the opposite way but turned back and she set herself up perfectly putting pressure on the opposition to not get the ball cleanly. Second efforts late in the quarter helped Essendon put it in their favour but unfortunately time ran out.

Q4:

The Casey Demons 4.1 (25) were catching up to Essendon 4.5 (29), with Prespakis on again in the midfield. She showed a lot of good passages of play throughout the previous three quarters. With a hot heated three minutes into the last quarter being in Casey’s end the whole time, it put Essendon under pressure, but with Prespakis’ tricky skills with a backwards handpass to her player trying to clear the ball out of the oppositions 50 was becoming a struggle. With Essendon only up by three points it was crucial everyone stayed focused. Prespakis tried her hardest to keep up with the play, but it became a little bit difficult after her enormous endurance effort throughout the whole game, but she still continued to run, and push hard to make contests.

SUMMARY:

Georgie Prespakis showing her talented skills throughout four consistent quarters, with ending up with 14 disposals, 10 tackles, nine clearances and two inside 50s. The promising young talent showed her game smarts are a level up from what she is used to playing, and playing with and against senior opponents who have already had the taste of playing the top level. The athleticism shown from her from a tough game shows a really exciting and bright future for the young talent becoming something real.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: VFLW - semi-final vs Pies @ Victoria Park - Saturday 10 July 2021 at 12noon

This may not be a surprise for anyone who saw her run on after the final siren, but Gardner has been out of the moon boot for a few weeks and put this out just now

Still a pretty outside chance, especially as we’ve been going alright with the replacement tall defenders.

Since DraftCentral botched large parts of their attempt to provide the top stat-getters for week one of the finals, here’s my go at it (source is AFL website):

AFL Fantasy Points (not to be confused with Fairy Dust Points):
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon) – 128

Disposals:
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon) – 28

Kicks:
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon) – 18

Tackles:
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon) – 12

Frees for:
Georgia Nanscawen (Essendon) – 6

Clearances:
Georgie Prespakis (Essendon) & Olivia Fuller (Geelong Cats) - 9

Handballs :
Olivia Fuller (Geelong Cats) – 15

Hitouts:
Olivia Fuller (Geelong Cats) – 36

Goals:
Tara Bohanna (Southern Saints) – 2

Inside Fifties:
Jessica Matin (Southern Saints) - 7

Marks:
Amelia Velardo (Collingwood) – 7

1 Like

Casey were understandably in less of a hurry to talk about the game.

By Brendan Tibballs - 7 hrs ago

The Casey Demons’ 2021 VFLW campaign has come to end, suffering a three-point loss to Essendon 5.2(32) to 5.5(35) in their Elimination Final on Saturday.

It was a game of halves at Casey Fields, with the Bombers owning the first and the Demons taking control in the second.

With the home and away season done and dusted, the rebel VFLW finals series became the focus of the Casey Demons - their maiden appearance. Essendon had finished on the same number of wins for the season (eight wins and six losses) and the two teams were only separated by percentage.

Both sides met back in early March where it was the Bombers by eight points. After the restart of the season, the Bombers had won their last two, defeating Williamstown and Darebin. For the Dees, they came in with a win and a loss, but against a tough Bulldogs outfit last week, it was a great tune-up that Casey needed for this final.

It was a hot footy early on in the first quarter. Essendon jumped out of the blocks and continued with moving the ball convincingly into their forward 50. However, it was Casey that was able to rebound from a play to move it down the ground, for Tahilia Fellows to score the first goal of the game.

The Bombers then continued to pepper the goals, failing to convert any majors. At quarter time, it was the Demons with a three-point lead. The defence working overtime, Gabby Colvin (six touches), Nicole Hales (five touches) and Brenna Tarrant (five touches) the leading possession-getters.

The second quarter was all Essendon. The Bombers scored four unanswered goals and the Demons just didn’t have any answers to their dominance.

Casey’s backline was under the pump once again, with Tarrant and Colvin continuing to work tirelessly, and Eliza West busy in and under. At half time the deficit was 23 points, and the Demons had some work to do.

After the half-time break, it was a different Casey side that emerged from the changerooms. The girls were fierce in their attack on the ball and kept pressuring the Bombers to make mistakes.

Alyssa Bannan grabbed an opportunity with a cheeky soccer kick off the ground in the goal square only to follow it up moments later with a nice set shot to bring the Demons back within 11 points. Emma Humphries had been battling hard all day and produced a nice shot on the run from 45 meters out, to make it a four-point game.

Eden Zanker had the chance to grab the lead late in the quarter but only managed a behind. The Demons were inspired and had flipped the game right on its head, as the Bombers had no answers for them.

Jackie Parry in the ruck was causing problems while West, Colvin and Sammie Johnson were doing the damage around the ground. At the last break, Casey was only down by three points and had the momentum.

In the last quarter, it was once again Casey doing all the attacking. Repeat inside 50 entries had the Bombers defence working hard. Shelley Heath snuck in a goal out the back of the pack to give the Demons a three-point lead.

Casey continued to pressure and one of the very few times the Bombers had it near their forward line, a 50-metre penalty was awarded, handing them a sure goal and regaining the lead.

With three minutes remaining, there was still time for the Demons to win back the lead. A few entries into forward 50 but the Demons just couldn’t capitalise and eventually, time got away from them, losing to Essendon by three points.

It was a great effort by the Demons, however, they just fell short at the final hurdle.

“We went in with the theme to win contests,” Casey Demons coach Peter Mercoulia told Melbourne Media post-game.

“We were appreciating it was our first final and the importance of physicality and driving the ball forward, and what that does in finals with increased pressure. Essendon showed that and credit to them, outperformed us in the first half.

“And obviously we just couldn’t get the job done in the last.”

At half time the game looked to be drifting towards a one-sided affair. With the chance to reset, the Demons came back out firing and put on four unanswered goals themselves in the third term.

“It was more just around going back to the basics,” Mercoulia said.

There was no real power behind the actions we were doing, and we wanted to match Essendon in that area.

“The girls drove their legs more, took on tackles as well as making their own tackles stick, which I felt they did.

“We also had some personnel changes as well, which changed the look of the side and our game style, which made a big difference for us.”

Despite the resurgence after the main break, it just wasn’t meant to be for the Demons, falling just short of their first finals win.

It was a great effort this season from the Demons, captain Johnson explaining the bond between the girls and the drive to be better.

“I’ve seen a lot of individuals grow this season, not just in football but in all areas of life, and it’s been a pleasure to have been able to lead them this season,” she said post-game.

“It’s been great to be involved here at the club. We’ve got a solid group of girls here and have become much closer through the year.

“However, at the end of the day, we all just want to win more games of football.”

While it wasn’t the fairytale ending the Casey Demons were hoping for, the girls and the coaching staff did a tremendous job this season in making it to the finals.

Casey Demons 1.0 1.0 4.1 5.2.32
Essendon 0.3 4.5 4.5 5.5.35

Goals: Alyssa Bannan 2, Tahlia Fellows 1, Emma Humphries 1, Shelley Heath 1
Best: Jackie Parry, Eliza West, Casey Sherriff, Shree Fairchild, Sammie Johnson, Gabby Colvin

1 Like

Finally got round to finding the time to watch this.

Was so worried in the last that we were going to fall at the last hurdle, 
 what a great win.

Well done BomberChicks!!

Thought Nalder was good, McIntosh Ugle, Ahrens. Gillard needs to hold her marks, and she’d be terrific.

4 Likes

By Celie Hay

With five minutes to go in Saturday’s VFLW elimination final against Casey Demons, Essendon found itself staring down the barrel of an early finals exit.

After a 23-point lead at half-time, the Bombers conceded three straight goals in the third quarter with an early fourth-quarter major giving Casey a three-point lead.

Enter Lauren Ahrens.

If there was any defender you wanted kicking for a potential match-winning goal in an elimination final, it would be the reigning Gold Coast Suns club champion and AFLW 2021 All-Australian squad member.

Ahrens looked calm and confident from the outside as she composed herself after being awarded a 50-metre penalty and direct shot at goal, but she admits her heart was racing.

“I was extremely nervous. I tried to act pretty cool about it but I was pretty scared walking up there. I didn’t want to disappoint the team,” Ahrens said.

“I sort of got pretty close to the mark and just kicked it through off a couple of steps and it was probably one of the best feelings ever. It’s pretty unreal.”

Lauren Ahrens celebrates her match-winning goal on Saturday. (Photo: Celie Hay)

The Bombers had to fight hard in the dying minutes to keep their narrow lead, but Ahrens’ goal was enough to seal their maiden finals victory with celebrations erupting on the final siren.

“It was absolutely unreal. I think we all were riding on high and still are a little bit. Just to be a part of such a great group at the moment, it’s such a great feeling. Everyone’s pretty stoked about it,” Ahrens said.

“It was pretty ecstatic. I haven’t really been in many big wins like that before so it was just fantastic and reward for the girls’ effort over the last few years as well.”

The 29-year-old first joined Essendon for the 2019 VFLW season but returned to the Bombers this year in round 10 after playing 16 games across two AFLW seasons for the Suns.

Ahrens is relishing the chance to be involved in the club’s first finals series but will be using this VFLW season to improve her skills ahead of her third year in the AFLW.

“I’m loving my footy so much. A little bit of a change up down here and it’s just really enjoyable footy at the moment. I’m really motivated to get out there and keep doing my best for the club,” she said.

“I just want to play footy with my mates and touch the footy as much as I can outside of the AFLW season. I just really want to enjoy myself and let my hair down and just enjoy playing footy.”

With the focus on fun for Ahrens, she quickly felt right at home at the NEC Hangar, with Essendon’s VFLW program having the right balance of serious and light-hearted moments.

Like Ahrens, the Bombers know when they’re enjoying their footy they play their best, but their excitement to be out on the field has become evident to the wider club.

“Everyone is just getting around each other so much and they honestly just love footy. Xavier (CEO Xavier Campbell) said it to us the other day about how the club recognises how we all just love footy so much and I love that as well,” Ahrens said.

“Everyone is just frothing so much to play footy and getting around each other to get it done, so it’s been really enjoyable to be a part of.”

Throughout her two seasons with the Bombers, Ahrens has witnessed the growth in Essendon’s VFLW side but is most excited about the improvements of her fellow teammates.

“I think the program as a whole is continuing to develop but we’ve kept a pretty similar list,” she said.

“It’s the players’ development from 18-year-olds who have stuck around and didn’t get picked up who are now 20, and to actually see how much they’ve improved is exciting.

“All these players who have played a lot of senior women’s footy now are improving week in and week out, so whether it’s skills or game sense, all those things are just improving.”

One player who has stood out to the AFLW defender is 19-year-old Alana Barba.

The pair first played together in 2019 when Barba was a top-age Calder Cannons player and stepped up to play four VFLW games for the Bombers.

Barba has become a central element to the Bombers’ line-up, with her development impressing Ahrens.

“Alana Barba has been absolutely killing it. When she came in in my first season, she was still quite young and new to senior footy,” Ahrens said.

“But she’s just grown so much and is impressing me so much. I’m super proud of her and she is killing it.”

Alongside Barba, her fellow midfielders have also impressed Ahrens with the group becoming a dominant force for oppositions to overcome.

“But even all our midfield. I was looking up at them at one point and I was like, ‘These guys are elite’,” Ahrens said.

“I wouldn’t want to come up against them with Georgie (Prespakis), ‘G’ (Georgia Nanscawen), ‘Ugez’ (Courtney Ugle). They are all playing so well, so hats off to them.”

(L-R) Alana Barba, Courtney Ugle and Lauren Ahrens celebrate a recent win. (Photo: Celie Hay)

Ahrens and her teammates will come up against the benchmark team of the VFLW in Collingwood on Saturday.

With a Grand Final spot on the line, Ahrens insists the Bombers will prepare as usual ahead of the semi-final.

“It’s just another week so we will focus on getting through each session and making sure we are ticking all the boxes that we need to do,” she said.

“It’s just another game and we’ll prepare like we do normally. We won’t be getting ahead of ourselves and just getting everything done.”

The Bombers will take on the undefeated Magpies from 12pm at Victoria Park on Saturday, with the winner advancing straight to the VFLW Grand Final on July 25.

1 Like

Goal #1: