VFLW - GRAND FINAL vs Saints @ North Port Oval, 12:15PM Sunday 3 July 2022 - SHINY THING ACHIEVED

Team Ave For Ave Against Percent
Essendon 65 17 392%
St Kilda 38 29 132%

All we have to do is actually do it.

1 Like

Obviously the 72-62 between us in our two games is a tad closer!

I fixed the broken quote @PH_WARFRadio already brought to us!

ESSENDONā€™s rebel VFLW Grand Final against Southern Saints this Sunday wonā€™t just be an attempt to complete the second undefeated premiership in the leagueā€™s six-season history.

It will be the culmination of four seasons of hard work and commitment to a cause started by the team and its coach Brendan Major when the Bombers entered the competition in 2018, winning just one game and picking up the wooden spoon, improving to six wins in 2019, 10 and a preliminary final appearance last year and a 14-0-2 record this year.

While just seven players remain at the club from that 2018 squad and as few as five will play in the Grand Final, those players and the eight who arrived in 2019 form the core of Majorā€™s mainstays ā€“ but the build has been about so much more than that ā€“ itā€™s about buying in as a united group, including the coach.

ā€œItā€™s hard to encapsulate that many seasons and that much hard work and so many people involved,ā€ Major said on Monday as he wore his signature red scrunchie on his right wrist.

ā€œFrom the start the club has been fantastic in its support of womenā€™s football and support of the program.

ā€œAs a staffing group and a coaching group we focused on the fundamentals and put our people first and as the years have gone by weā€™ve just maintained that focus on good people and developing our people and creating a space for them to develop ā€“ theyā€™ve taken that responsibility to develop and weā€™re here because of that

Itā€™s when youā€™re your playing [group] comes to you and says wear this (the scrunchie), you wear it, itā€™s as simple as that.

ā€œThereā€™s no superstition, anything that makes me more connected to the playing group Iā€™ll buy into, so if the players ask me to do something, Iā€™ll do it.ā€

Major admitted Essendon would go into the Grand Final as favourites on the back of its undefeated season, but was quick to say he didnā€™t expect it to be a walk in the park against a very competitive opposition with their tails up.

ā€œIf you look at the two contests weā€™ve had with Saints, it was a draw and it was 10 points and it could have gone either way ā€“ it was close for most of the game and the first half they had most of the run of play,ā€ he said.

ā€œAlthough statistically without losing a game this year I can understand why people would say that, but we expect a very even game this week, I donā€™t think it is going to be too favoured one way or the other.ā€

The NAB AFLW Draft on Wednesday night adds another layer of intrigue to the contest, but Major was confident his players would be ready for the agony or ecstasy for individuals selected or overlooked.

ā€œWhether they be at Essendon or another club, our whole focus in the VFLW is to get players drafted ā€“ yep, weā€™ve had on field success in terms of wins and thatā€™s great, but over the years, weā€™ve had success in preparing players for the next level,ā€ he said.

ā€œThereā€™s no doubt the draft on Wednesday will affect players differently but that is going to be exactly the same for both sides.ā€

Major said the Bombers had a couple of days off on preliminary final weekend and almost a clean bill of health for the Grand Final, with the efforts of Nicole Julian (calf) and Eleanor Cornish (hamstring) to force their way back into the team set to create a tough night at the selection table on Thursday.

ā€œWe did our normal training sessions and then we gave them the weekend off,ā€ he said.

ā€œWeā€™ve got a fantastic high performance and medical team and theyā€™ve prepared the players very well so we think weā€™re in a good space and the break was what we thought the best thing for them was, so it was just business as usual.

ā€œThereā€™s a couple of little niggles as youā€™re always going to have at this time of year so selection this week will be difficult, but thatā€™s not unexpected for the last game of the season.ā€

Twitter: @BRhodesVFL

4 Likes

Itā€™s red and black, but whatevs.

2 Likes

I dedicate this to you, @theDJR

edit: I sent it after the Frew mention, but it got soā€¦ so much worse.

1 Like

Faaaaaaark me.

Frederica / Joanna / Nansgawen :crazy_face:

See, it could be worse, @CJohnsā€¦

That did slightly cheer me up in a warped way

3 Likes

Iā€™m willing to let it go on the grounds that you donā€™t really get to know these girls namesā€¦

waitā€¦

Theyā€™re all AFLW signed! There were social posts! Articles! sigh

but really Iā€™m just excited to see and hear people talking about them. It makes me extremely happy

6 Likes

I think I just worked out this will be game #50 for me.

(Ignoring practice games, the invitational vs GWS where Laan put Mackrill on her posterior, Calder ā€œreserveā€ games, etc)

Excuses for the other 12:

• 3 = hate travelling to the NT and Colac
  • 2 = was travelling to the NT
  • 2 = COVID (the lock-out Prelim, where they told me to depart forthwith from the pool car park; and Norf this year while having COVID; I did watch a Willy game over the fence standing on my boomerang box when COVID said the crowd of ~10 couldnā€™t enter)
  • 1 = Mumā€™s 70th birthday, interstate
  • 1 = to Perth to beat Freo in 2019, and make the AFL finals; I did sit in a park earlier in the day and watched the stream as we torched the top-of-the-ladder Pies
  • 1 = watched VFLM lose in a clashing game, before I got smart
  • 1 = lazy, watching the stream from Sandy, back in 2018 when streams were a novelty
  • 1 = canā€™t identify the reason; not good enough!
2 Likes

Weak excuses man, weak excusesā€¦

I havenā€™t been to 50 games but went to the 1st one, a sunny Saturday morning at Windy Hill, they have come a long way very quickly.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t very quick that first game; took till the third quarter before QUIGLEY became famous.

The Cult of Mackrill may have been triggered by this pickup, spin, and being-annoying-enough-to-get-sniped after the kick. Also, Moreau :white_check_mark:

Alternate view of the crowd going full Cale Hooker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EssendonFCW/status/992982986344751104

My footage of the Quigs goal is better. The crowd certainly erupted!

Thereā€™s no many peeps that can say they were in the crowd the day Darcy V from FC single handedly destroyed us. I think myself, @PH_WARFRadio and @theDJR were the only ones in the Hird Stand.

Frew = more goals in a year than Vescio. Iā€™m healingā€¦

2 Likes

Every red and black blooded Bomber fan should get along to this. Come and have a birthday beer with Humbert and watch the girls give it to the hapless Saints.

BYO food, the North Port pies are rubbish!!

3 Likes

And the Borough Burger is no more (or so I was told at the start of last season!)

Bloody interfering Health Department!

Ooohhh, I said bloody and it didnā€™t get censored. Is this because Labor are back in office?

1 Like

You bastard.

(I removed those two years ago from the US-inspired filter. No, Iā€™m not taking nominations for what other words to remove.)

1 Like

I worked in IT for a British law firm and had access to their swear filter list. It was all so British ā€¦ Bellend, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , ā€œBeef curtainsā€, Bollocks, B0llocks, B0!!ocks ā€¦

1 Like