VFLW - Round 9 vs Cats @ The Hangar, 11am Sat 20 May 2023

QUARTER FOUR:

• Pearson starts on McKee, neutralises a high kick in and punches a behind shortly afterwards.
  • At the kick-in, McKee is on her own. Hurrell is in the same postcode? Our kick-in is sent back in, McKee has a two-on-one vs Crook, and kicks her second goal. No idea what happened there.
  • At the next clearance, Hurrell appears to be on (well, trailing badly) Abbey McDonald. Pearson is on Cheryl de Groot. Crook is on McKee.
  • The “late” “sling” tackle at 4:00 paid by THAT ump down the ground… holy ■■■■ that’s a bad call.
  • Pearson is now on McKee. Around and around we go!
  • Emma Gilligan, take a bow: sensational screen allows Mckee to sprint away from Pearson and take the mark and kick her third goal. No one could defend that.
  • At 6:20 THAT ump is kind enough to not pay a STAND fifty versus the Cat after Hurrell’s intercept mark.
  • What the hell is going on at 7:40? The Cat is on Manfre and NO ONE is one Wilson. You can hear the screams for Chloe (Leonard) to go to Wilson, but it’s too late. Wilson marks, in range.
  • And misses :frowning:
  • At 10:00 THAT ump does the motion for “dropping the ball” rather than “block”. They’re vaguely similar, but no. Not arguing the actual free, as Ryan clearly corked Fuller.
  • At 11:10 the ump is very kind to Courtney and does not call a behind when she walks behind the goal post to kick sideways. Merely calls it back.
  • The scoreboard fails to update at 13:20 when Ford rushes a behind. Crook kicks in just as the ump grabs the flag, so it was understandable it could be missed.
  • HOLY ■■■■. At 13:25 Mia stumbles and then flips over the fence at pace! There’s a pit outside the fence there too; would have just missed it. Clearly I was too busy working out if a score had just happened…
  • There was a double whistle on that too. Landed on her right tailbone, it seems.
  • Watching the replay, she got pushed. The Cat (Houtsma) immediately went to check, though.
  • Davidge botches a kick at 14:25, but makes up with a follow-up bump to get it back for us.
  • Lovely intercept mark on the run by Richardson at 14:45… also a botched kick!
  • My estimate (yes, I got a tape measure out for my screen) is the kick for Manfre’s mark was 14m. Still not legal, but not as horrendous as I called at the time.
  • Was a nice lead and aggressive play-on by Ford Grunden to make that happen. Orritt did the actual kick to Manfre.
  • You can see as Liv lines up that Mia’s back is still hurting.
  • With four minutes left, we convert and trail by 2.
  • Mia comes in to hug/lift Manfre, and immediately regrets that. Heads to the bench.
  • A prone Crook nearly gets her head and/or hand stomped in by a careless McKee at 17:00.
  • That final free is… not valid. Nolan is not impressed. A stoppage would have still been enough time for the Cats to survive, though.