VFLW - Round 9 vs Cats @ The Hangar, 11am Sat 20 May 2023

QUARTER THREE:

• Clear Bronx Cheer when Sutton gets a free for high contact.
  • LOL, I reckon I can hear the gears slowly rotating in THAT ump’s head before she pays us fifty for the Cat failing to STAND. Such a slow call.
  • We really should have goaled from that, at 2:30. Bugger.
  • Bateman has switched to Gilligan and concedes the leading mark on the wing.
  • At this time we can see Pearson is on McKee.
  • Kendra plays a very deliberate role: e.g. go to 7:06 to see her swapping to the fat side while the Cats have the ball, and no opponent in sight. Either that, or a Cat just interchanged off-camera…
  • Prpic filling space a kick from the stoppage.
  • Hurrell tackle at 8:35 is brutal. Dicker cops a handy one at 9:10 too.
  • Dicker very definitely doesn’t do anything untoward at 10:25. THAT ump is nearest and misses it, but another sees it and pays fifty. I see no evidence she was reported for it, and while the sleep-running Cat apparently has a glass jaw she’s up rapidly.
  • Nice from-behind CLUNK by Orritt at 12:20. Her kick is… not so nice.
  • The baby giraffe (Tamsin) gets applause for a one-handed collect on the run at 13:45
  • Crook is now on McKee.
  • That Froggy rebound was sooooo out of bounds.
  • Davidge takes her contractually-obliged CLUNK at 16:15… pity about Hurrell’s worse-than-nothing kick resulting from it.
  • At this stage I see Ford and then Grunden standing the mark and realise I haven’t noticed them since the first quarter.

QUARTER FOUR:

• Pearson starts on McKee, neutralises a high kick in and punches a behind shortly afterwards.
  • At the kick-in, McKee is on her own. Hurrell is in the same postcode? Our kick-in is sent back in, McKee has a two-on-one vs Crook, and kicks her second goal. No idea what happened there.
  • At the next clearance, Hurrell appears to be on (well, trailing badly) Abbey McDonald. Pearson is on Cheryl de Groot. Crook is on McKee.
  • The “late” “sling” tackle at 4:00 paid by THAT ump down the ground… holy ■■■■ that’s a bad call.
  • Pearson is now on McKee. Around and around we go!
  • Emma Gilligan, take a bow: sensational screen allows Mckee to sprint away from Pearson and take the mark and kick her third goal. No one could defend that.
  • At 6:20 THAT ump is kind enough to not pay a STAND fifty versus the Cat after Hurrell’s intercept mark.
  • What the hell is going on at 7:40? The Cat is on Manfre and NO ONE is one Wilson. You can hear the screams for Chloe (Leonard) to go to Wilson, but it’s too late. Wilson marks, in range.
  • And misses :frowning:
  • At 10:00 THAT ump does the motion for “dropping the ball” rather than “block”. They’re vaguely similar, but no. Not arguing the actual free, as Ryan clearly corked Fuller.
  • At 11:10 the ump is very kind to Courtney and does not call a behind when she walks behind the goal post to kick sideways. Merely calls it back.
  • The scoreboard fails to update at 13:20 when Ford rushes a behind. Crook kicks in just as the ump grabs the flag, so it was understandable it could be missed.
  • HOLY ■■■■. At 13:25 Mia stumbles and then flips over the fence at pace! There’s a pit outside the fence there too; would have just missed it. Clearly I was too busy working out if a score had just happened…
  • There was a double whistle on that too. Landed on her right tailbone, it seems.
  • Watching the replay, she got pushed. The Cat (Houtsma) immediately went to check, though.
  • Davidge botches a kick at 14:25, but makes up with a follow-up bump to get it back for us.
  • Lovely intercept mark on the run by Richardson at 14:45… also a botched kick!
  • My estimate (yes, I got a tape measure out for my screen) is the kick for Manfre’s mark was 14m. Still not legal, but not as horrendous as I called at the time.
  • Was a nice lead and aggressive play-on by Ford Grunden to make that happen. Orritt did the actual kick to Manfre.
  • You can see as Liv lines up that Mia’s back is still hurting.
  • With four minutes left, we convert and trail by 2.
  • Mia comes in to hug/lift Manfre, and immediately regrets that. Heads to the bench.
  • A prone Crook nearly gets her head and/or hand stomped in by a careless McKee at 17:00.
  • That final free is… not valid. Nolan is not impressed. A stoppage would have still been enough time for the Cats to survive, though.

Let’s look at our post-AFLW starting mids. This is only a sample of 12 centre throw-ups, but still useful. Sutton and Dicker missed only one each.

Player Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Total
Sutton 2 5 1 3 11
Dicker 2 4 1 4 11
Russell 1 3 1 4 9
Davidge 1 4 1 6
Molan 1 3 4
Prpic 1 2 1 4
Ryan 1 2 3
Grand Total 8 20 4 16 48

85 Gallivant photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=gallivantphoto&set=a.904468280640838

Pre-game (cause it’s raining) Pearso and Willo say bye to Tia.

“Froggy” Molan is a point of difference for our squad, purely on size.

1 Like

Jayda Richardson had a relatively quiet return to the team.

Mia! Mia! Mia! Goal! Goal! Goal!

sorry

Meg working hard at ground level.

1 Like

Mel Bateman with sore fingers on both hands.

Chaston clearly has a plan.

McKee has the leap on Tamsin Crook.

Manfre belts it as far as she can.

If I had a slide off Bullant Hill onto the ground, I’d be the only spectator who goes to Hangar huddles.

‘This photo works on so many levels!’

(Kendra to Bateman is the plan)

Where’s the 5th bench player?

Goal #2

Sutton lays a cuddle in advance of The Beast arriving.

Reese finds someone shorter than her.

1 Like

I’m not sure that at this stage Mia needs the reminder to “FIGHT”.