Victorian Infrastructure (bye bye East West link)

Traffic in this city is unacceptable. Ban people north of the Yarra owning or operating cars.

Isn’t the CBD on the north side? Or is that what you’re saying?

needs to be some progressive thinking about this city

how ever you cut it up, very hard to move the volume of people + mode of transport through the city

• look at making truck only routes (and ban trucks through certain routes) - this is kinda done now but not really achieved
  • review the pricing structure of PT, for a lot of people it is cheaper to commute via car > train/bus
  • give companies incentives /big tax breaks from local councils to open offices in regions, if you allow a company to open a 200 ppl office
    space in say narre warren and give that property free land tax + council rates. For that council the income will come back into the community via the increased local benefit (cafes, parking, shopping etc)
  • put on the agenda for schools to really push to get kids riding to school, riding programs, create safe paths, free bikes etc, this would take off their arvo traffic strain
  • look at turning certain roads into bicycle only and then have parallel car only routes and tram only routes at certain times.

This would encourage people to get on bikes and out of cars (as mentioned above most trips are under 5kms) and would automatically take cars off the road leaving the current freeways etc to move better.

As I said looking at this the wrong way and another road/tunnel is not going to change anything

You need a train going to the airport. It's actually ridiculous that there isn't one.

Yup.
Hardest city in Australia for a tourist to get anywhere
I’m impartial to Brisbane, and absolutely hated Sydney, but getting around was a hundred times easier

Have to agree.
But the thing working for Sydney is google maps holds their train time tables, so it’s very easy to do point to point travel using public transport.
Unfortunately it doesn’t work here.

I think we’re just embarrassed to tell tourists that they have to wait approximately 30 minutes for a 10 minute train ride.

Our biggest problems are that the city loop is too small and all lines lead to the city. Having spent time in Singapore, NY, Paris, Barcelona and Rome, the closest we have anything like their networks is Sydney. Melbourne just wasn’t set up well to begin with as our train network is a broke web with no intersecting cross links while the other cities have many links with no real central point. The waiting times for trains were around 5 minutes and switching between stations was relatively easy (even though it can be rather timely). If we are to follow the world trend (I.e. City living) then we need to have better public transport networks because more people living in the city driving cars will not reduce traffic crossing the city in the mornings and afternoons.

You can tell how bad our public transport is when there is a major event in town. While other cities can deal with it (probably due to previously getting funding to hold Olympics, World Cup, etc) we just don’t move a large amount of people effectively and well.

This new link is the first step to linking the broken web. But it won’t solve everything. Just like the East West link wasn’t going to solve everything. Upgrading the public transport has been ignored for so long, it’ll take some time to get it to a point where trains are helping reduce the number of cars on the road.

Last thing…
Cost of travelling on public transport in Melbourne is farking disgraceful for the terrible service we get. I’m pretty sure a weekly ticket in NY or Paris is far cheaper and allows you to go further. For memory you could go from Brooklyn to Manhattan to Bronx (around a 40 minute train ride) and still be in the same zone and still be cheaper than here in Melbourne.

Traffic in this city is unacceptable. Ban people north of the Yarra owning or operating cars.

Isn’t the CBD on the north side? Or is that what you’re saying?

Yes.

You need a train going to the airport. It's actually ridiculous that there isn't one.

Yup.
Hardest city in Australia for a tourist to get anywhere
I’m impartial to Brisbane, and absolutely hated Sydney, but getting around was a hundred times easier

Have to agree.
But the thing working for Sydney is google maps holds their train time tables, so it’s very easy to do point to point travel using public transport.
Unfortunately it doesn’t work here.

I think we’re just embarrassed to tell tourists that they have to wait approximately 30 minutes for a 10 minute train ride.

Our biggest problems are that the city loop is too small and all lines lead to the city. Having spent time in Singapore, NY, Paris, Barcelona and Rome, the closest we have anything like their networks is Sydney. Melbourne just wasn’t set up well to begin with as our train network is a broke web with no intersecting cross links while the other cities have many links with no real central point.

Correction, our PT was designed & laid out pretty well - in the 50s - city population about 1.5M. The problem was the loop that was conceived, wasn’t built until the 70s (population ~2.7M), and hasn’t really had any significant improvements since (current population about 4.7M).

If they put through another 2-4 lines through the loop (or some other way through the city) and improved all the signalling, the thing would work a ■■■■-ton better, but that would involve work, and money, and take 2 or 3 terms of government. They won’t do it.

I’m pretty sure we have fewer operating stations & less operating lines than we had in about 1900 too… isn’t that nice? Used to have one Fairfield to Oakleigh, and Rushall to Royal Park (so almost half of a loop), up to Warburton & Healesville, Whittlesea, Red Hill…

Blue are current, Yellow is proposed, Red is closed former lines

Who here has actually used Skybus?

I use it whenever I go to/from Tulla and have never, ever had a problem with being late for flights or whatever. I honestly can’t see how a train service would be any different.

Have to agree. But the thing working for Sydney is google maps holds their train time tables, so it's very easy to do point to point travel using public transport. Unfortunately it doesn't work here.

I believe they released the full set of data last month, so hopefully google transit isn’t too far away.

On PT pricing, am I the only one who thinks that it’s ridiculous that a 5 min tram ride down st kilda rd costs the same as a trip from Sunbury to Pakenham? Surely you should pay more the further you travel.

Who here has actually used Skybus?

I use it whenever I go to/from Tulla and have never, ever had a problem with being late for flights or whatever. I honestly can’t see how a train service would be any different.

I’ve used it a few times and it’s fine. $18 though for a half hour trip is a fair rip-off, they’re often packed to the rafters, and the terminal feels like a cave. Those things would IMHO be better on a train.

Took the 901 bus out to the airport on the weekend, dropped me off right at he Qantas domestic terminal, it was great, then took a train from Sydney Airport into Circular Quay, very nice, train was great and cost me $36 for the 2 of us.

Coming home on the other hand, the Circular Quay station was closed so they were ferrying people to Central Station on a regular bus with suitcases, kids it looked like a nightmare so I decided to lash out and catch a taxi, $35, cheaper than the train…then got to Melbourne was going to catch the local 901 bus back but couldn’t find anywhere to top up my Myki…how can there not be anywhere to top up or even buy a Myki at the airport?

So I called my son and he came and got us

Moral of the story, cars are better :slight_smile:

I lived in Sydney, the public transport system up there sucks.

then got to Melbourne was going to catch the local 901 bus back but couldn't find anywhere to top up my Myki........how can there not be anywhere to top up or even buy a Myki at the airport?
The ticket gumbies now have EFTPOS machines with them to pay fines on the spot. No fucken chance you can top up your myki on a train or tram though. Arseholes. Love someone to take them to court for that except I'm not sure "being an ■■■■■■■■" is against the law, unfortunately.
then got to Melbourne was going to catch the local 901 bus back but couldn't find anywhere to top up my Myki........how can there not be anywhere to top up or even buy a Myki at the airport?
The ticket gumbies now have EFTPOS machines with them to pay fines on the spot. No fucken chance you can top up your myki on a train or tram though. Arseholes. Love someone to take them to court for that except I'm not sure "being an ■■■■■■■■" is against the law, unfortunately.

No chance that argument will fly with lawyers…it’s their stock-in-trade. The old dictum is that 95% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.

Took the 901 bus out to the airport on the weekend, dropped me off right at he Qantas domestic terminal, it was great, then took a train from Sydney Airport into Circular Quay, very nice, train was great and cost me $36 for the 2 of us.

Coming home on the other hand, the Circular Quay station was closed so they were ferrying people to Central Station on a regular bus with suitcases, kids it looked like a nightmare so I decided to lash out and catch a taxi, $35, cheaper than the train…then got to Melbourne was going to catch the local 901 bus back but couldn’t find anywhere to top up my Myki…how can there not be anywhere to top up or even buy a Myki at the airport?

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/news/myki-machines-installed-at-melbourne-airport/

Interstate and international visitors can now purchase and top up a myki card on arrival at Melbourne Airport.

myki machines have been installed in Terminals 2, 3 and 4, providing visitors with more ways to purchase their ticket to travel on public transport before they reach their destination in the State.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/news/myki-machines-installed-at-melbourne-airport/

Interstate and international visitors can now purchase and top up a myki card on arrival at Melbourne Airport.

myki machines have been installed in Terminals 2, 3 and 4, providing visitors with more ways to purchase their ticket to travel on public transport before they reach their destination in the State.

Well there you go, landed in Terminal 1 (Qantas/Jetstar terminal) and couldn’t see any signs (I seriously looked) so just walked out.

Edit: Just re read it and all buses leave from outside Terminal 1 yet there are no Myki stations in Terminal 1noe at the Bus stop, majkes perfect sense

Or, you know, make sure you’ve got enough on your myki. Grown ups can manage to do things like that.

And I’m lead to believe that terminals 2, 3 and 4 all have machines for myki top ups. Pretty sure you can get them at the Skybus thing too.

Or, you know, make sure you’ve got enough on your myki. Grown ups can manage to do things like that.

And I’m lead to believe that terminals 2, 3 and 4 all have machines for myki top ups. Pretty sure you can get them at the Skybus thing too.

Yes I know, buying a ticket on the mode of transport you’re on is crazy. Especially considering they actually pulled out all the metcard machines when Myki went in.

Yes I know, buying a ticket on the mode of transport you’re on is crazy. Especially considering they actually pulled out all the metcard machines when Myki went in.

The money is in fines, not ticket sales. Why do you think we have unmanned stations, no tram conductors, difficulty in buying/topping up a ludicrous Myki system, but half a million ticket inspectors to extract fines on the spot. Cynical, nasty economics at its best/worst.

Correct. More to the point the taxpayer still supports the system to a large extent. They probably run the system at break even or just fractionally above, and the fines are their profit margin.

Have the myki prices dropped a lot recently? I don’t catch trains all that often but I remember the old daily zones 1&2 being about $13. I recently took a train & was surprised all day travel only cost me $7.52

Have the myki prices dropped a lot recently? I don't catch trains all that often but I remember the old daily zones 1&2 being about $13. I recently took a train & was surprised all day travel only cost me $7.52

You’re probably in zone 1 only now?