Victorian Infrastructure (bye bye East West link)

Have the myki prices dropped a lot recently? I don't catch trains all that often but I remember the old daily zones 1&2 being about $13. I recently took a train & was surprised all day travel only cost me $7.52

You’re probably in zone 1 only now?

Nah I did a search on the myki sight & according to that zone 1&2 fares are the same as zone 1 only. If you only want zone 2 its $5.20. Not sure when that changed but it certainly makes travel from zone 2 into the city way more affordable.

Have the myki prices dropped a lot recently? I don't catch trains all that often but I remember the old daily zones 1&2 being about $13. I recently took a train & was surprised all day travel only cost me $7.52

Nah I did a search on the myki sight & according to that zone 1&2 fares are the same as zone 1 only. If you only want zone 2 its $5.20. Not sure when that changed but it certainly makes travel from zone 2 into the city way more affordable.

And if you arrive at your destination before 7am, it’s free!

Still got to get home but that makes it less than $4 a day.

Run loop trains only. No suburban train should run through it. All stop at Flinders, Spencer St, Richmond or North Melbourne. Can then run extra trains and have loop trains going in either direction every 5 minutes or so.

Run loop trains only. No suburban train should run through it. All stop at Flinders, Spencer St, Richmond or North Melbourne. Can then run extra trains and have loop trains going in either direction every 5 minutes or so.

They already do that. Regardless whether it’s suburban or not a train runs through the loop every two or three minutes.

It would be good if one platform was dedicated to the loop only with trains leaving and arriving every few minutes.

We already have two key stations (North Melbourne and Flinders) that would be able to feed directly into it but I’m not sure it speeds up movement thouI’m

Changed on 1 January

And if you arrive at your destination before 7am, it’s free!

Still got to get home but that makes it less than $4 a day.

Used to be 7:15, have they changed it to 7?

They already do that. Regardless whether it’s suburban or not a train runs through the loop every two or three minutes.

It would be good if one platform was dedicated to the loop only with trains leaving and arriving every few minutes.

We already have two key stations (North Melbourne and Flinders) that would be able to feed directly into it but I’m not sure it speeds up movement thouI’m

I meant the ONLY trains running through the loop are trains that just do the loop. The excuse for not running trains more frequently is that the loops at capacity. Removes the need for lines to run through the loop therefore should be able to run them more often.

I was told today that that there may be a police enquiry into the East West Link contract and payments. The story is that the previous Government signed contracts and then gave the Consortium an open cheque to draw down on. By the time the Labor Government was elected $339 million had been spent. An audit is being undertaken and up to $100 million could be recovered.

The Consortium agreed to sell all its assets to the Government for $1.

Could get very nasty for Michael O’Brien who authorized it all.

I meant the ONLY trains running through the loop are trains that just do the loop. The excuse for not running trains more frequently is that the loops at capacity. Removes the need for lines to run through the loop therefore should be able to run them more often.

Currently trains that don’t run through the loop go through the extra (riverside) platforms on Flinders St or Southern Cross. Would we need more space to run them through the city, or just turn them around at Richmond or North Melbourne? Buggered if I’d known what happens to the north-eastern lines that go through Jolimont. They’d have to turn around somehow.

I don’t think you got the full gist of megz’ post.

Suggestion was they should run separate loop trains, and not run the suburban trains through the loop at all.

I am no engineer but I would of thought running all south east services direct to flinders and north west to southern cross. Then run 2 platforms that just run the loop all day… Surely that would free it up

I am no engineer but I would of thought running all south east services direct to flinders and north west to southern cross. Then run 2 platforms that just run the loop all day... Surely that would free it up
IMHO would help.

Surely it can’t be that simple, otherwise they would have done it

There was talk of a Doncaster rail link as well as improvements to existing infrastructure. I am tipping that if the existing rail system was upgraded and more reliable, more people would use it and less people would be on the road. 

What fantasy world do you live in? The Doncaster rail link will run parallel to and 2.5km north of the Lilydale line, who is going to use it? As for the rail link to the airport are the people in the Western or Northern suburbs going to catch a train to Southern Cross to use it?
If a plane leaves at 6:00am how long will it take the people in the Eastern suburbs to get to their 4:00am checkin? Hour and quarter plus to get from Belgrave, Lilydale, Packenham, Mornington etc. 20 minute changeover, another 30 minutes to Tulla not forgetting the time it takes to get to your departure station. And then there is the small issue of flying into Melbourne late at night. Would you want to ride the rail network late at night with all your luggage after arriving at 10:30pm, collecting your luggage at going through a 40 minute customs search before facing a two and a half hour journey home.
No, the rail connection is an expensive fantasy for inner city dwellers. If you want to get to the airport it is taxi, car or airport bus.

Build the line out to as far as Warrandyte/Donvale and suddenly the services to Lilydale will become less full from Ringwood inwards. It would also help the Hurstbridge line easing pressure in and around Eltham and Greensborough.

[quote]There was talk of a Doncaster rail link as well as improvements to existing infrastructure. I am tipping that if the existing rail system was upgraded and more reliable, more people would use it and less people would be on the road.[/quote]

Build the line out to as far as Warrandyte/Donvale and suddenly the services to Lilydale will become less full from Ringwood inwards. It would also help the Hurstbridge line easing pressure in and around Eltham and Greensborough.

Realistically, how much pressure is on these lines? The problem of adding another line is that all it does is mean another train that will have to bottleneck in the city. It won’t really attract a huge amount of new commuters because currently the area lies between 2 existing lines. If you live in Doncaster for example you can drive 10 minutes to the Lilydale/Belgrave line. I don’t think reducing that drive time by 5-8 minutes is going to be a big deal breaker. I have no issue with the new line & can see future benefits, I just don’t think its a burning priority & I don’t think its going to have anywhere near the positive effect on Eastern freeway traffic.

As for a train line to the airport - I can honestly say I have never caught a train to or from an airport anywhere in the world. I wouldn’t realistically consider using it if it was available in Melb as it just wouldn’t be convenient. The large portion of air travellers are business related & so write off these travel expenses anyway. I just can’t see huge numbers using the service. Is there any reason why buses aren’t fulfilling the PT requirements? Again is a train to the airport from Southern Cross that saves 5-10 minutes really going to be a deal breaker? I know myself, after hours on a plane the LAST thing I want to do is spend 2+ hours on public transport getting home.

^^^ Agree totally. The free tram zone is a great step forward though and would satisfy most tourists.

[quote]There was talk of a Doncaster rail link as well as improvements to existing infrastructure. I am tipping that if the existing rail system was upgraded and more reliable, more people would use it and less people would be on the road.[/quote]

Realistically, how much pressure is on these lines? The problem of adding another line is that all it does is mean another train that will have to bottleneck in the city. It won’t really attract a huge amount of new commuters because currently the area lies between 2 existing lines. If you live in Doncaster for example you can drive 10 minutes to the Lilydale/Belgrave line. I don’t think reducing that drive time by 5-8 minutes is going to be a big deal breaker. I have no issue with the new line & can see future benefits, I just don’t think its a burning priority & I don’t think its going to have anywhere near the positive effect on Eastern freeway traffic.

This is all echoing my thoughts. The loop is the cause of a lot of the issues and it's always been the out clause for politicians - "can't put more lines in, the loop can't cope with more trains". No such issues about new roads though and city roads are actually decreasing in capacity... Upgrade the loop (or take load off it somehow) and we can plot more trains in and out and getting around the CBD gets a lot easier.

The other big issue though with the Ringwood lines is parking. Can’t park at any of the eastern stations after about 6:30 or (6 in a lot of cases) which makes commuting either painful or impossible. And bus services out here are a joke. So while I agree that a new line 5-10km away from an existing line is pretty hard to justify, there’s still no real solution for large numbers of people. There needs to be big parking at or around stations for “drive to the next line” to be viable.

There was talk of a Doncaster rail link as well as improvements to existing infrastructure. I am tipping that if the existing rail system was upgraded and more reliable, more people would use it and less people would be on the road. 

What fantasy world do you live in? The Doncaster rail link will run parallel to and 2.5km north of the Lilydale line, who is going to use it? As for the rail link to the airport are the people in the Western or Northern suburbs going to catch a train to Southern Cross to use it?
If a plane leaves at 6:00am how long will it take the people in the Eastern suburbs to get to their 4:00am checkin? Hour and quarter plus to get from Belgrave, Lilydale, Packenham, Mornington etc. 20 minute changeover, another 30 minutes to Tulla not forgetting the time it takes to get to your departure station. And then there is the small issue of flying into Melbourne late at night. Would you want to ride the rail network late at night with all your luggage after arriving at 10:30pm, collecting your luggage at going through a 40 minute customs search before facing a two and a half hour journey home.
No, the rail connection is an expensive fantasy for inner city dwellers. If you want to get to the airport it is taxi, car or airport bus.

It is brilliant logic that a publicly subsidised service that doesn’t serve a lot of people means we shouldn’t improve it. Kudos.

The main issue at the heart of melbourne infrastructure issues is that the train network is only good if you need to go between certain suburbs and the city, the tram network only goes about 20km, and everyone else has to use a very few freeways and toll roads. For everything. And that leads to bottlenecks. That’s the big picture. I just can’t see how it’s economically (or environmentally) sensible or even possible for that to continue when we hit 6 or 8 million people, which we will within 2-3 decades.