Violence Against Women

The last couple of days have yet again demonstrated a problem we have in our society. Men hurting/killing women for no reason. A girl walking through a park in broad daylight is attacked and murdered. WTF? Why?
Is the Victorian Government doing the right thing by setting up a dedicated Domestic Violence unit? How can we stop this?
A couple of years ago, when Jill Meagher was murdered near Sydney Road, Brunswick, there was a huge outcry on this forum and every other type of social media. It seems a deafening silence this time. If men do not speak out against this we are not doing our duty to our daughters, sisters, mothers, aunties and grandmothers.
Only men can stop violence against women and it is about time we started telling our mates that violence against women is not acceptable under any circumstances.

here we go

1 Like

Quoted Post

here we go

What do you mean Barnz?

It propogates the whole ā€˜women should be scare of being out aloneā€™.

1 Like

Nope.

This is not a man thing. Itā€™s a murder thing.

1 Like

Why do we need to specify the ā€˜against womenā€™ bit?

Why not just address ā€˜violenceā€™ in general.

3 Likes

Quoted Post

Nope.

Agreed Wim. But why is it always men doing the murdering?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Nope.

do you seriously believe that?

1 Like

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Nope.

do you seriously believe that?

I am struggling to remember the last time a woman murdered a man in this city.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Nope.

Itā€™s not ALWAYS men, but te number would be > 90%.

I donā€™t understand why it turns to physical violence. Iā€™m lucky in that I donā€™t know anyone who has hit their wife/gf before but if I did I would like to think I would step in. However I can understand why there are those who donā€™t, probably because they are just as scared of their mate as the wife is.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Nope.

We donā€™t agree on anything, letā€™s make that clear.
This is not about the patriarchy, or old rich white men, or men.
Itā€™s about a murderer.

We donā€™t need a change in community values, because community values are already firmly entrenched that murdering people is wrong.
And we donā€™t need libtards shamelessly hijacking an awful tragedy by wanking on about privilege and shaming all men as if this is something secretly in all of them.

1 Like

ā€œThe man accused of stabbing Melbourne schoolgirl Masa Vukotic to death has been charged with her murder and a slew of other offences, including rape, robbery and assaultā€ reports The Age.

And the bleeding hearts oppose the death penalty and call it barbaric.

IMO the death penalty is the perfect cure for the above mentioned scum. Much more sensible than housing and feeding such ā– ā– ā– ā–  at the taxpayers expense.

2 Likes

Last week two guys got jail for insider trading, one worked at a Bank and the other at the Bureau of Stats. One got over 7 years jail time, the other 4 years.

I watch as guys smash women , breaking bones, putting them in hospital, nearly killing them get good behavior bonds, because they had a tough childhood.

There is no justice in our system. Sure, punish the white collar crims, but anyone who is violent should be put away for a very long time.

Quoted Post

Quoted

But donā€™t women also murder other women?

As has been stated a couple of times above, this is about violence in general.

Society needs to work out what would possibly compel one person to think about and then go out and perpetrate a random act of violence upon an innocent person going about their daily business? Why is that personā€™s thought process so obviously damaged that they would believe that performing an act of this kind would bring them some sort of sick pleasure or relief? Why do they feel that they canā€™t find any help, professional or otherwise, before they go out and commit these crimes?

We need to find the underlying causes as to why these types of things keep occuring and not just trying to treat the symptom or being reactive when itā€™s all too late.

Easier said then done but something clearly needs to happen fast.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Nope.

We donā€™t agree on anything, letā€™s make that clear.
This is not about the patriarchy, or old rich white men, or men.
Itā€™s about a murderer.

We donā€™t need a change in community values, because community values are already firmly entrenched that murdering people is wrong.
And we donā€™t need libtards shamelessly hijacking an awful tragedy by wanking on about privilege and shaming all men as if this is something secretly in all of them.

Brilliantly articulated, and exactly my thoughts also.

See below. Posted 2 times. This information will eventually be released. I guess its kept quiet for the purposes of a ā€œfair trialā€

It appears Sean Christian Price is a convicted sex offender, who threatened to kill women and was placed on the sex offenders register.
He was convicted in 2004 and sentenced to 8 years including psychiatric incarceration.
His history included attacking girls and women near their homes.

Its happened again.

Criminal insane violent people let back into society to do what they threatened to do before.,

http://www.mako.org.au/temp_p.html

Sean Christian Price

Sickening.

Its pretty hard to argue after seeing some of the rap sheets of convicted killers (of women) that violence against women isnā€™t seen as a lesser violence in our judiciary system. It certainly doesnā€™t mirror public values.

Violence against women is a very real issue and is a very different beast to violence in general.

My current girlfriendā€™s ex was abusive - at various times he has headbut her, pushed her to the ground and kicked her, and a number of other things. She is the most kind, beautiful person Iā€™ve ever met and it boggles my mind that anyone would do this to her. Her children now come back from him with bruises. She has approached the police and approached human services. She has been told it is now her word against his and the best she can do is build a dossier of his actions and get as much evidence as possible. Meanwhile she has to share 50% custody still AND pay child support (he is a wealthy spanish man whose assets are all hosted overseas and he claims a yearly ā€œincomeā€ of less than $1000 dollars, despite yearly ski trips, trips to fiji, trips back to spain, etc).

He also lives in a very tight-night, small community, and his behaviour is not condemned or even spoken about within that community. She is now the one that is considered an outsider because she moved away from him. People have witnessed his actions but attempt to justify them as minor failures on his part and he is still a ā€œgood personā€ and a ā€œgood fatherā€.

This is a cultural problem, and itā€™s a major systemic failure.

On the flipside, I was assaulted by an ex once. As it happened the only thing I felt was frustration about not being able to hit back for fear of the results. But I also knew this was my choice - I COULD have fought back and she would have been helpless - a 5ā€™6" 55kg woman against a 6ā€™1" 95kg ex-bouncer? I made a choice to let her do it and not hurt her back.

The women in these situations often have NO choice. They are helpless when it happens and they are helpless after the fact when the system and community let them down.

We should be opposing all forms of violence, there is no doubt of this. But violence against women is a much bigger issue that DOES deserve special focus.

Having said all thatā€¦ I have no idea what this murder has to do with violence against women. This is not a case of domestic violence, or culturally hidden violence. This is just regular violence from a deranged individual and linking the two only causes people to dig their heels in and deny the real issues of violence against women.

1 Like