Violence Against Women

Quoted Post

Having said all that... I have no idea what this murder has to do with violence against women. This is not a case of domestic violence, or culturally hidden violence. This is just regular violence from a deranged individual and linking the two only causes people to dig their heels in and deny the real issues of violence against women.
Pretty much.

Some predator raping & killing in a public park is a very very very different thing from domestic abuse.

Counting down to the candle-lit vigil. Never understood what they were meant to do exactly. Is it the locals assuaging some guilt?

Quoted Post

Having said all that… I have no idea what this murder has to do with violence against women. This is not a case of domestic violence, or culturally hidden violence. This is just regular violence from a deranged individual and linking the two only causes people to dig their heels in and deny the real issues of violence against women.

Quite.
I have no problem discussing domestic violence, but I find it being shoehorned into this issue disgusting.

There are far too many levels in the range of violence, from smacking your kid on the back of the leg, to torture and ultimately murder, the causes ranging from anger management, personality change due to drug( and alcohol) consumption, to male dominance and possessive instincts that are a basic part of our psychological DNA, right through to insanity .

We tend to lump them all together under the outcome category “violence against women” but each cause needs to be separated out and dealt with in a manner appropriate to the cause of the violence.

Quoted Post

There are far too many levels in the range of violence, from smacking your kid on the back of the leg, to torture and ultimately murder, the causes ranging from anger management, personality change due to drug( and alcohol) consumption, to male dominance and possessive instincts that are a basic part of our psychological DNA, right through to insanity .

We tend to lump them all together under the outcome category “violence against women” but each cause needs to be separated out and dealt with in a manner appropriate to the cause of the violence.

That ignores the huge cultural and systemic issues though. When a mate tells a story about a chick passing out while drinking and him helping himself, do you laugh it off (he was drunk too! And she would have been up for it!) or call him out as a rapist? When the girl tells the story of passing out while drinking and waking up to find the guy she’d been drinking with had raped her, does the community recognise her as a victim and him as a rapist, or do they chastise her for not being in control? When the hubby gives his wife a black eye, do the guys at the pub shun him or do they nod their heads thoughtfully and sypathise with him for being so pushed that he lost control?

This ■■■■ isn’t edge cases. This ■■■■ happens every ■■■■■■■ day, with otherwise “good” people sticking their heads in the sand or rationalising what should be unacceptable behaviour. I’ve been around it and hang my head in shame for my lack of action. I hope next time I do better.

It’s nothing about the causes. Yes, we SHOULD be putting resources into mental health - suicide is a huge killer of men and mental health is a big part of the reason some men are violent. But people need to stop rationalising this stuff and call it out for what it is. Guys who hit their partners should be pariah’d, at the very least. Guys who rape - in all its forms - should be called out as rapists, not excused.

Doesn’t mean that they guy who makes one mistake and pushes his wife deserves jailtime. It DOES mean that people shouldn’t make excuses for it and say “he was just pushed too far”. He ■■■■■■ up, he should ■■■■■■■ own his failures. Because every time we rationalise - he was drunk, she pushed him too far, whatever - it helps the next guy excuse himself.

And it means that when women are assaulted that cops shouldn’t come out and tell women to take more care in public. They are the victim, not the cause.

Quoted Post

The last couple of days have yet again demonstrated a problem we have in our society. Men hurting/killing women for no reason. A girl walking through a park in broad daylight is attacked and murdered. WTF? Why? Is the Victorian Government doing the right thing by setting up a dedicated Domestic Violence unit? How can we stop this? A couple of years ago, when Jill Meagher was murdered near Sydney Road, Brunswick, there was a huge outcry on this forum and every other type of social media. It seems a deafening silence this time. If men do not speak out against this we are not doing our duty to our daughters, sisters, mothers, aunties and grandmothers.Only men can stop violence against women and it is about time we started telling our mates that violence against women is not acceptable under any circumstances.

I know this sentimenet is designed to make men give a ■■■■ about the issue of violence against women but this very sentiment itself ■■■■■ me. That we should talk out about violence about women in reference to their relationship and importance to men, this notion it could be your wife, sister, daughter, mother etc to give it some kind of importance. So what, if a single, childless woman with no family is the victim of violence, it doesn’t ■■■■■■■ matter?

How about we talk out about violence against women because they are humans and are deserving of being able to walk around without fear of being assaulted, raped and murdered no matter what.

If some farkwit wants to hurt a woman/man/girl/dog/living being through physical violence there needs to be contingency for the public to go and beat the ■■■■ out of them before they get arrested.

How good is it with all these rapists getting the ■■■■ beat out off, getting their d**ks cut off and in some cases killed.

It’s a cruel justice but anyone that goes down this track needs to get dealt with.

Any involuntary violence should be punishable by getting the ■■■■ beat out of them.

Quoted Post

Last week two guys got jail for insider trading, one worked at a Bank and the other at the Bureau of Stats. One got over 7 years jail time, the other 4 years.

I watch as guys smash women , breaking bones, putting them in hospital, nearly killing them get good behavior bonds, because they had a tough childhood.

There is no justice in our system. Sure, punish the white collar crims, but anyone who is violent should be put away for a very long time.

yep I used to cringe when I saw wankers who rorted the money system get longer jail terms than those who actually cause violence.

I’ve got a friend that her ex partner had 27 odd charges against him for breaking orders and threatening to kill her. Ended up getting a year behind and a good behaviour bond. Within a couple of days of getting out started after her again, so it went back to court where this lovely man decided to assault a solicitor and security at the court. No doubt he’ll be out in 12 months again just cos.

Ultimately I believe the system is just way to ■■■■■■. how can you say don’t do this because the deterrent is jail time, when in reality people are getting out of jail with violent criminal records after a few years and just continue to re offend, that’s if they get put in jail in the first place. I don’t encourage violence but what is there to really stop people doing it, when it’s more luck of the draw as to whether you end up in jail or not ?

on the Jill Meagher issue I’m still astounded at how many woman just randomly walk alone, by themselves at night while being intoxicated. I remember staright after the incident seeing girls wasted walking down alley ways by themselves and i’m like really. Unfair as it is, people have got to be smarter in todays world.

Quoted Post

Counting down to the candle-lit vigil. Never understood what they were meant to do exactly. Is it the locals assuaging some guilt?

Reflecting on a memory and highlighting the community standing together as one.

But I agree, a lot of the times they are pointless and their meaning is lost with no direct cause.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Last week two guys got jail for insider trading, one worked at a Bank and the other at the Bureau of Stats. One got over 7 years jail time, the other 4 years.

I watch as guys smash women , breaking bones, putting them in hospital, nearly killing them get good behavior bonds, because they had a tough childhood.

There is no justice in our system. Sure, punish the white collar crims, but anyone who is violent should be put away for a very long time.

yep I used to cringe when I saw wankers who rorted the money system get longer jail terms than those who actually cause violence.

I’ve got a friend that her ex partner had 27 odd charges against him for breaking orders and threatening to kill her. Ended up getting a year behind and a good behaviour bond. Within a couple of days of getting out started after her again, so it went back to court where this lovely man decided to assault a solicitor and security at the court. No doubt he’ll be out in 12 months again just cos.

Ultimately I believe the system is just way to ■■■■■■. how can you say don’t do this because the deterrent is jail time, when in reality people are getting out of jail with violent criminal records after a few years and just continue to re offend, that’s if they get put in jail in the first place. I don’t encourage violence but what is there to really stop people doing it, when it’s more luck of the draw as to whether you end up in jail or not ?

on the Jill Meagher issue I’m still astounded at how many woman just randomly walk alone, by themselves at night while being intoxicated. I remember staright after the incident seeing girls wasted walking down alley ways by themselves and i’m like really. Unfair as it is, people have got to be smarter in todays world.

I know a guy who was walking down the street one night and woke up 2 weeks later.

I know another guy who was waiting at a train station one night and ended up being found unconscious laid across the traintracks. He ended up dieing… of pnuemonia. The people responsible were only found guilty of assault.

Why the ■■■■ is it only when women are hurt that we talk about how “people have got to be smarter”?

I know another guy who got beat up in a packed taxi queue and now can’t hear out of one ear.

I know one girl who got raped at a party while other people sat in the next room laughing. They probably all commented about how she wasn’t being very smart when she ran out of the party in the middle of the night on her own, but I wouldn’t want to make assumptions.

But yeah, people need to be smarter. They aren’t doing themselves any favours… FFS.

Quoted Post

If some farkwit wants to hurt a woman/man/girl/dog/living being through physical violence there needs to be contingency for the public to go and beat the ■■■■ out of them before they get arrested.

How good is it with all these rapists getting the ■■■■ beat out off, getting their d**ks cut off and in some cases killed.

It’s a cruel justice but anyone that goes down this track needs to get dealt with.

Any involuntary violence should be punishable by getting the ■■■■ beat out of them.

Surely you jest?

Quoted Post

If some farkwit wants to hurt a woman/man/girl/dog/living being through physical violence there needs to be contingency for the publicly to go and beat the ■■■■ out of them before they get arrested.

Sharia Law has a bit going for it.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
If some farkwit wants to hurt a woman/man/girl/dog/living being through physical violence there needs to be contingency for the publicly to go and beat the ■■■■ out of them before they get arrested.

Sharia Law has a bit going for it.

except the whole premise of women not being equal, but I get your point

back on the earlier point regarding the cops

my mate works for them and he said if even a speck of the actual cases made it to the public - no one would leave their house

He said women are ok to catch cabs home by themselves, provided they are sober

that is a glaring statement about our society and yes it needs to change

Our society in general is extremely violence prone, and violence obsessed. Just have a look at what the average punter enjoys as tv viewing for a start. We need a massive rethink on what we find acceptable/glorify. A good realistic look at that would be a good starting point.

Only had one “dodgy” cab driver. Although I think it was just a bit of a case of making inappropriate comments to a customer (not about me personally either).

This guy who’s been charged sounds a right toff.

I might give myself up now, but before I do, I’ll wander into the Christian bookshop and digitally rape one of the staff.

When he’s got a heap of form.

Should go the same way as Bailey and the guy who murdered Sarah Cafferkey. Never to be released…ever.

Going to be hard to get an unbiased trial. A fair trial would have had him pushing up daisies by now.

Quoted Post

This guy who's been charged sounds a right toff.

I might give myself up now, but before I do, I’ll wander into the Christian bookshop and digitally rape one of the staff.

When he’s got a heap of form.

Should go the same way as Bailey and the guy who murdered Sarah Cafferkey. Never to be released…ever.

Going to be hard to get an unbiased trial. A fair trial would have had him pushing up daisies by now.

Justice would see a medieval form of punishment, before eventual public execution.

Would make wonderful reality television - think of ratings.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
The last couple of days have yet again demonstrated a problem we have in our society. Men hurting/killing women for no reason. A girl walking through a park in broad daylight is attacked and murdered. WTF? Why? Is the Victorian Government doing the right thing by setting up a dedicated Domestic Violence unit? How can we stop this? A couple of years ago, when Jill Meagher was murdered near Sydney Road, Brunswick, there was a huge outcry on this forum and every other type of social media. It seems a deafening silence this time. If men do not speak out against this we are not doing our duty to our daughters, sisters, mothers, aunties and grandmothers.Only men can stop violence against women and it is about time we started telling our mates that violence against women is not acceptable under any circumstances.

I know this sentimenet is designed to make men give a ■■■■ about the issue of violence against women but this very sentiment itself ■■■■■ me. That we should talk out about violence about women in reference to their relationship and importance to men, this notion it could be your wife, sister, daughter, mother etc to give it some kind of importance. So what, if a single, childless woman with no family is the victim of violence, it doesn’t ■■■■■■■ matter?

How about we talk out about violence against women because they are humans and are deserving of being able to walk around without fear of being assaulted, raped and murdered no matter what.

Because you need to try reallllly hard to coax the empathy out of some people.

So… Any “Mens rights” activists in here?