Voluntary suspensions

You’d only take voluntary suspension if you thought you were guilty wouldn’t you? There’s no point otherwise.

The main issue is solidarity. No player is going to go to his team mates and say “hey, because I’m injured, I’m going to bank some provisional suspension time in while you guys are playing so that if we are suspended, I can be back playing again quicker than you”.

This is bizzarre… (regarding the OP)

Firstly, if we go whole hog and sit out the season, we WILL NOT get good draft picks. No administrative body is that stupid. Even if we just put a few key players under provisional suspension it will not give us good draft picks. That would be text-book tanking FFS.

Secondly, you suggest our injured players book their injury time as suspension time? And this is even a REMOTELY plausible offer? “Yes judge, I know I’m on trial for this very serious offence but I just broke my leg and will be stuck in the house for 2 months. Despite thinking I’m innocent how about we book that two months up as ‘house arrest’ time just in case I’m guilty and it get’s knocked off the top of the sentence?”. Judge: “You’re an idiot. Bail is hereby revoked”

As for “putting pressure on the AFL”. Not sure if you’re aware but the AFL found us not guilty and were happy to let the matter rest. WADA is the problem now. The AFL deserve a big **** you for their behaviour but WTF is “putting pressure on” them going to achieve? That they expedite the process? Give us our picks back?

All the nays are based on the assumption it is made public. It could be confidential(yes im aware of how that has gone to date). But for arguments sake why couldn't Jobe, Colyer and Bellchambers be on provisional suspensions. No one would know as they are not expected to be playing. I wouldn't propose the whole list sit out, but for those already out, its actually a smart option.

It’s a “smart option” only if WADA, ASADA and the AFL are ■■■■■■■ retarded enough to buy into it.

This is bizzarre... (regarding the OP)

Firstly, if we go whole hog and sit out the season, we WILL NOT get good draft picks. No administrative body is that stupid. Even if we just put a few key players under provisional suspension it will not give us good draft picks. That would be text-book tanking FFS.

Secondly, you suggest our injured players book their injury time as suspension time? And this is even a REMOTELY plausible offer? “Yes judge, I know I’m on trial for this very serious offence but I just broke my leg and will be stuck in the house for 2 months. Despite thinking I’m innocent how about we book that two months up as ‘house arrest’ time just in case I’m guilty and it get’s knocked off the top of the sentence?”. Judge: “You’re an idiot. Bail is hereby revoked”

As for “putting pressure on the AFL”. Not sure if you’re aware but the AFL found us not guilty and were happy to let the matter rest. WADA is the problem now. The AFL deserve a big **** you for their behaviour but WTF is “putting pressure on” them going to achieve? That they expedite the process? Give us our picks back?

We have already booked six months in provisional suspensions. There is no way that WADA could defend not providing us with the no substantial fault nor negligence discount so the maximum penalty is theoretically 12 months after 50% discount. Any player that has booked 12 months in provisional suspensions would have no risk hanging over their head, so in essence, regardless of the tribunal finding, they would be done with it.

There is nothing in the code that says ‘a player may only be suspended when they are injury free’ and there is nothing in the code that suggests that provisional suspension is equal to an admission of guilt. I sincerely hope our long term injured players are booking time, it would be crazy if we were not doing that.

I would like to be provisionally suspended from driving because I was in my car this morning. I didn't speed but there was potential that I could speed so I should sit out from driving until the police tell me I didn't speed.

Yep, makes sense to me.

Technically it’s “well I’ve got home and not going to drive again so I will ‘provisionally suspend’ myself until I need to go to work at 8:30 tomorrow morning”.

The real worry (from an actual justice POV, not that that has much to do with our boys) is the logic that an injured player or a player who doesn’t have a match scheduled for months can suspend themselves.
You could feasibly knowingly do something wrong and have half your penalty served when you weren’t playing anyway.
Which makes it a complete Clayton’s penalty.

How is that fair? There doesn’t seem to be justice being served at all. If you’re guilty of doing the wrong thing, you should be forced to sit out your actual job during work hours… not on your weekends & holidays.

Hey can we get myers’ suspension backdated to when his injury occurred?

I would like to be provisionally suspended from driving because I was in my car this morning. I didn't speed but there was potential that I could speed so I should sit out from driving until the police tell me I didn't speed.

Yep, makes sense to me.

Technically it’s “well I’ve got home and not going to drive again so I will ‘provisionally suspend’ myself until I need to go to work at 8:30 tomorrow morning”.

The real worry (from an actual justice POV, not that that has much to do with our boys) is the logic that an injured player or a player who doesn’t have a match scheduled for months can suspend themselves.
You could feasibly knowingly do something wrong and have half your penalty served when you weren’t playing anyway.
Which makes it a complete Clayton’s penalty.

How is that fair? There doesn’t seem to be justice being served at all. If you’re guilty of doing the wrong thing, you should be forced to sit out your actual job during work hours… not on your weekends & holidays.

Yeah, that’s why ‘time’ based penalties don’t work in professional sports. You need to be suspended for actual games because anything up to a 6 month penalty can be consumed in the off-season. Injuries are something else though - if someone clocks someone on the field and then pings a hamstring, it doesn’t matter if they are injured during their suspension - they are still serving time.

Ignore the voluntary suspension crap.
If by some great chance, the case ends in this off season and they are surprisingly given a 1 year backdated suspension, can the six months they used up last pre-season and the six months this pre-season (an extra one or two in some players instance) count towards their suspension?

Would be silliness on stilts if after all this crap they were found guilty but no one misses out on any games.

• obviously, I don’t think they should be found guilty.

For clarity, we never took a voluntary suspension, we were provisionally suspended by the afl and we chose not to contest that.

Also, Zebba nailed it above.

If some injured players did decide to go down this path - could they also decide when their suspension ends (I understand its voluntary)? or would they be stuck if this drags well into 2016-17?

It seems odd that they could pick and choose when they are or aren’t suspended - the system thus far hasn’t favoured the players

For clarity, we never took a voluntary suspension, we were provisionally suspended by the afl and we chose not to contest that.

Also, Zebba nailed it above.

Just to be clear, I’m liking the first sentence. My post was just an expression of disbelief and amazement.
If some injured players did decide to go down this path - could they also decide when their suspension ends (I understand its voluntary)? or would they be stuck if this drags well into 2016-17?

It seems odd that they could pick and choose when they are or aren’t suspended - the system thus far hasn’t favoured the players

Not sure… but IMO worth exploring

Regardless of what has happened to date, the AFL has a vested interest in looking after us here within the boundaries of the code they have signed up to.

I’m still waiting for them to return our 2013 final series spot. We could have been top 4 if we weren’t shafted. Won’t be forgetting that soon. We’re innocent and any talk of anything voluntary needs to be shot down straight away.

I wish we didn’t voluntarily cooperate when they investigated us the first time. But we did and we’re here, nothing well comes from trying to do the right thing when dealing with the AFL and ASADA/WADA. incompetent people.

Close this thread.

Ignore the voluntary suspension crap. If by some great chance, the case ends in this off season and they are surprisingly given a 1 year backdated suspension, can the six months they used up last pre-season and the six months this pre-season (an extra one or two in some players instance) count towards their suspension?

Would be silliness on stilts if after all this crap they were found guilty but no one misses out on any games.

• obviously, I don’t think they should be found guilty.

It can. Bizarrely.
Crowley was ‘suspended’ for the 6 months after their prelim. Yet another area where the WADA codes bears no relation to logic or the real world. A footy ‘year’ is the ~27 weeks between round 1 and the GF.
The other 25 weeks of the calendar year you may as well be suspended anyway.

Actually, given we have already taken six months in provisional suspensions, and the likely penalty is 12 months, it is entirely plausible that a guilty finding will not result players being suspended for a single match. Tell the AFL to provisionally suspend us again from the first day of the off-season.

Wouldn’t that be a ■■■■■■

or tell them to not make an issue of it 2 and a half years ago. or tell them to give us a premiership or tell them replace farkCarlton with university. what the ■■■■ are we talking about here?

Actually, given we have already taken six months in provisional suspensions, and the likely penalty is 12 months, it is entirely plausible that a guilty finding will not result players being suspended for a single match. Tell the AFL to provisionally suspend us again from the first day of the off-season.

Wouldn’t that be a ■■■■■■

WADA appealed a not guilty verdict but they’d accept a 12 month suspension that resulted in no games being missed?

For (apparently) using actual prohibited substances Cronulla got 3 weeks and WADA said that was fair because the decision had been so slow.

We should be being automatically inserted into the final series as we must be in the black by now.

For (apparently) using actual prohibited substances Cronulla got 3 weeks and WADA said that was fair because the decision had been so slow.

We should be being automatically inserted into the final series as we must be in the black by now.

WADA also accepted the penalties because of ‘delays’.
We had nine months between Aug 2013 and SCN’s. Then the six months in the off season that was a ‘provisional suspension’. Then the delays due to waiting for the Dank appealing. That could amount to another year.

It’s plausible that they could give us two years back dated and still no games missed.

Heck, if they stretch it out long enough, they could give us a four year back dated suspension (yeah - I know this length of suspension came in after our case) and not miss a game.