Wally sacked

Vale Wally. Set up the 93 GF when he ran through Mil Hanna.

Do you honestly believe that?

It was massive.

It was massive.

The hit? Ooh yeah, it absolutely crushed the cranium, was awesome to watch.
Did it in any way affect the result of the match? Nah... But it became a nice way of pretending that Wally contributed to that premiership.

It was massive.

Did it in any way affect the result of the match? Nah... But it became a nice way of pretending that Wally contributed to that premiership.

Rubbish.

It was massive.
Rubbish.
Complete rubbish.
Yes, Essendon had put a gap in them in the first quarter, but moments like that define wins.
On a quite literal level it allowed Long to walk into the goalsquare moments later with Hanna writhing on the ground thirty metres away.
Pretty handy goal from him not long after too, which just rubbed salt into the wounds.

A goal? From who, Wally? You sure? I remember him nearly kicking one which ended up falling short.

Athorn was on Long, we were never losing that game, and no amount of 20 year hindsight will ever convince me that Wally deserved to be there, or that he justified the selection.

But that’s old wounds for me, ones I shouldn’t have opened. Damn ■■■■■ boring off season…

IIRC then almost immediately after the Long goal the ball went down to our goalsquare where 2 very anxious Scum defenders, one was SOS I think, stood back and watched as Wally grabbed the ball off the pack and kicked a goal. The Scum fans must have been aghast that none of their own players were interested in payback. GAME OVER!

You can't do it now but you sure could do it then.

Good luck Wally!

PS It's all history now but the Scum were red hot favs too, we were supposedly just making up the numbers.

A goal? From who, Wally? You sure? I remember him nearly kicking one which ended up falling short.
Athorn was on Long, we were never losing that game, and no amount of 20 year hindsight will ever convince me that Wally deserved to be there, or that he justified the selection.
But that's old wounds for me, ones I shouldn't have opened. Damn ■■■■■ boring off season...

I'm sure.
The Hanna hit was massive.
Long walked into a one-down Carlton defence immediately after.
Wallis beat two defenders in the goalsquare to kick another not long after that.
And your prejudice is hanging out of your shorts.

Well I clearly don’t remember that goal, will give me a good reason (like I need one) to rewatch that GF.

And yes, happy to admit my prejudice, but it’s clutching at bald straws to claim that bump set up the win.

The flag was always ours.

Isn't his son a decent prospect?

Should be interesting. 

Should be interesting. 

Will make no difference.

I believe the reason was he lied about being a database administrator on his CV.

YES.

Should be interesting. 

Why would it change anything? 

Should be interesting.

Will make no difference.

I understand we can still take him under F/S regardless, just might be a bit awkward is all given we 'sacked' the old man.
And there is ways the possibility that if the old man holds a grudge he is in the kids ear as soon as the contract is up.
We'll see.

Should be interesting.

Will make no difference.

I understand we can still take him under F/S regardless, just might be a bit awkward is all given we 'sacked' the old man.
And there is ways the possibility that if the old man holds a grudge he is in the kids ear as soon as the contract is up.
We'll see.

Stop buying the media crap that we sacked him. He was let go when his contract expired. To sack someone is to terminate their contract early, not decide you don't want them after they have served their contact.

We have looked after him and his son will come to Essendon if we want him at the club. Don't forget Dean Wallis has been involved with Essendon since the late 80s. Today will not change the fact that Essendon is like family to him. 

Should be interesting.

Will make no difference.
We'll see.
Stop buying the media crap that we sacked him. He was let go when his contract expired. To sack someone is to terminate their contract early, not decide you don't want them after they have served their contact.
We have looked after him and his son will come to Essendon if we want him at the club. Don't forget Dean Wallis has been involved with Essendon since the late 80s. Today will not change the fact that Essendon is like family to him.

He got the ■■■■. Tell yourself whatever you like.
Not sure he was feeling the 'family' love today either.

Should be interesting.

Will make no difference.
We'll see.

I guess all this is a great testament as to why you should never go into business with your 'family' then..

Should be interesting.

Will make no difference.
We'll see.

The fact he stayed 18 months too long suggests that he didn't get the ■■■■ - he was given more than enough respect. Reading his quotes I think he sounded very realistic about what went down. No grudge whatsoever for mind. 

Sensationalised journalism in keeping with the whole year.  If Wallis was out of contract then he wasn't sacked, his contract was not renewed.

I loved Wally as a player, he may have played vital roles in the 1993 and 200 premierships, howevr, he was a disaster in 1999 against the blues when he was caught in possession late in the game.

Many players stood tall when Wally played.

Lol at the plebs arguing the principle off being sacked versus let go out of contract. He wasn't good enough, get over it.

Was very lucky after the gambling debacle. But we need the best at the club and he isn't at the particular role he was supposed to do.

perspective

Wallis was selected in the 1993 GF because he was an enforcer, something which Sheedy valued highly. Fortunate to get selected, yes he cleaned up Hanna - Hanna was a decent player at the time, but not as good as Hanna in 1988.

2000 grand Final. Had either the best or the second best year of his career. Was imperious at CHB. I rated him third BOG after Hird and Blumfield.