Watching AFL on a TV without foxtel

I’m not sure that’s a response to my post, … but if so, … a) Yes, I know. and, …b) being able to watch it happening in no way helps me with the issues I have with it,… and c) it doesn’t necessarily reflect the throughput of my connection, it may ( & most often does) just reflect what KAYO can supply at that moment.

I tested many times when it would only supply me 720p,… but I could also stream something else at the same bit rate through another browser page, so while my connection clearly had bandwidth available to receive 1080, KAYO just couldn’t, or wouldn’t supply it.

I came to the conclusion they deliberately set it up the way they have just in case server demand outstripped their server capability.

Edit: And while I accepted that in it’s Inaugural year & initial implementation, … I won’t be as understanding if it happens again this year.

I agree that’s it’s farking annoying, having just max or ‘lower’ options. However… I don’t think it’s set up to supply lower res. I think it bases its switch on consistency of bandwidth. So, you can stream at 1080, but occasionally get freezes, or go too low and get constant supply. It also takes too long to determine that your buffer will handle highest res (or higher res). So when I know that I can handle it, I set it to max, and it’s always fine. Keep in mind with wireless, there is often peaks and troughs to the signal.

I’m 99.9 % positive it is.

I always use a LAN to watch it, and always had plenty of Bandwidth available on my connection to receive & run 1080. As I said, I tested that many times by running another stream at 4 5 or 600 m/b’s ps, whle KAYO was only delivering 720.

Also, … it would only occur whilst watching Games live. Everytime I watched after peak times on replay, . she was 1080 all the way, … which sometimes, if/when watching via a tethered Mobile data plan, … I may not want, and would well prefer just the 720.

They really need to change it.

1 Like

Hmmm.
I never have that problem, mate.
You’re wired in, not wireless, you say?
I don’t have an answer :frowning:

1 Like

I swallowed my pride and got Foxtel :disappointed:

1 Like

So, just for reference, … are you saying you had 1080 the whole way, on every AFL game you watched live last season??

Most of my mates that use Kayo and have solid 100mb ftp speeds (tested) still can’t get whole games at 1080p. I think it’s more an issue of what traffic Kayo can handle.

I just suck it up and use Foxtel for the footy season. $55 a month.

2 Likes

ring up and say your gonna cancel. I did, I’m now paying 39 a month and free iq4 box

3 Likes

Yep. I’ve heard of that exact same thing happening many times.

I think kayo a offering 3 month subscription for free

I went from 65 a month to 39, no questions asked

iq4 is really good too

1 Like

Kayo and Netcast it to the TV, same as I do with Disney+

Last season…I had 5.5 farking mbps

1 Like

Amazon don’t care. Would be worse than murdoch, them getting the rights.

Jeffs a ■■■■.

They offered me the same deal but was only for 6 months I said make it permanent and I will stay they wouldn’t do it so I canceled after being with them for over 10 years.

So, . is that Yes or No?? :smirk:

1 Like

Except prime is WAY cheaper than poxtel. And Murdoch is a way bigger ■■■■ than Jeff

1 Like

Let you know how I go tonight

1 Like

That’s not to say it would still be the same price once having paid for the AFL streaming rights though, yeah?

thanks for the promo, signed up
just need someone to remind me to cancel in 3 months lol

1 Like