We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

They need to convince the whole list that the week before the season is actually the bye week, and come out firing from the off, rather than three months in.

1 Like

Nope, nobody can.

2 Likes

What did Wei Jingsheng say?

Surely that’s only for DJK thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hehe… we know that guy…

1 Like

Certainly creating a stir…

Orazio Fantasia left with bruises on his arm after constant pinching from Ben Stratton

Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes has called on Hawthorn to act after skipper Ben Stratton repeatedly pinched Orazio Fantasia on Friday night.

While the key defender is expected to be fined by the MRO, Cornes said the Hawks should consider stripping the premiership player of the captaincy for a week after the “cowardly” act.

“Every year the send-off rule debate pops up,” Cornes said on SEN.

“This incident…merits (why) there should be a send-off rule.

MATCH REPORT: MERRETT MASTERCLASS GIVES DONS HOPE

WATCH: BOMBERS’ GOAL LINE BLOOPER ‘UNFORGIVABLE’

“Pinching a defenceless opponent, and it wasn’t just one pinch, it was repeated pinching. You can see on his arm there are seven or eight bruisers that have been left there.

“Let’s say it was 15 times that he got pinched last night, the goal umpire was aware of it. I saw Fantasia making the goal umpire aware of it. Why that wasn’t relayed to the field umpire…is staggering but a fine for this doesn’t cut it. It was one of the most cowardly things I’ve seen all year.

“This is every bit worth a week suspension. Even further…if Hawthorn are serious, is there a club sanction that needs to be handed down if the AFL don’t act on this? A week or stripping him of the captaincy for a week is about right for this.”

Fantasia took the issue up with umpires at quarter-time, before bruises began showing up on the back of his arm in the second half.

“I’ve got a couple of bruises on the arm. He loves to pinch. He’s a good defender. To come back to play on him, I knew it was a tough night,” Fantasia told Channel 7 after the match.

“He has all the tricks in the book. He’s done it every time I play on him. It’s a tough one.”

However, not all Bombers were prepared to brush the action off.

Essendon veteran Cale Hooker took a swipe at Stratton after the game.

“It comes as a surprise, usually the good players don’t have to get involved in that stuff and Ben Stratton is a pretty good player,” Hooker told 3AW.

Essendon coach John Worsfold said Stratton would be punished if his actions were deemed unacceptable.

“There are rules in place I think around the game. Things that happen within the rules are outside the rules. I assume it will take care of itself,” Worsfold said.

“I haven’t seen what it looked like. I really can’t comment.”

Bruises on the back of Orazio Fantasia’s arm. Picture: AAP

Under 2019 AFL Tribunal guidelines, pinching comes under the ‘Fixed Financial Offences’ section, which are listed as “reportable offences which attract a fixed financial sanction only”.

A first offence can attract a $1500 fine or $1000 with an early guilty plea.

A second offence can lead to a $2500 fine and a third offence $4000.

“I don’t think this is a good look for Ben Stratton,” former Western Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy said on Triple M.

“As a captain of your club, I don’t think you want to be a pincher.”

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson said he did not want to comment on the incident until he had seen it and spoken with Stratton.

Stratton’s tactics against Fantasia came just two weeks after he was scrutinised for niggling of Brisbane small forward Charlie Cameron.

Mitch Robinson :heavy_check_mark: @MitchRobinson05

Pinching tactic. First of all, I was thinking how do you let someone do that to you for an entire game. I forgot there are 3 umpires, multiple cameras and you can’t retaliate without giving away a free kick, or risk being suspended… Great system.

10:30 AM - Jun 15, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

50 people are talking about this

On that occasion, the Hawks skipper was captured throwing little jabs to Cameron’s back and arms.

Former Hawthorn teammate Jordan Lewis said the treatment of Cameron was “not within the spirit of the game but it’s within the rules of the game, so that’s the thing that you can’t really police”.

Charles Cameron :heavy_check_mark: @Charles__23

Free kick?

AFL.com.au :heavy_check_mark: @AFLcomau
Pinching and pushing.
How have you perceived Stratton’s treatment to Fantasia? #AFLDonsHawks

Embedded video

10:20 PM - Jun 14, 2019

61 people are talking about this

North Melbourne great David King said the umpires should have acted sooner.

“It was pointed out at quarter-time, so they’ve had time enough to assess it … and they (the umpires) still haven’t acted on it,” he told Fox Footy.

“They’re asking for trouble … what, are we waiting for Fantasia to respond?

“You’ve got a chance to knock this on the head straight away.”

Lindsay Gilbee :heavy_check_mark: @LindsayGilbee

Niggle is fine but I think pinching is crossing the line!

10:04 PM - Jun 14, 2019

See Lindsay Gilbee’s other Tweets

Former Fremantle tagger Ryan Crowley was fined $1200 for pinching North Melbourne’s Brent Harvey in 2013 under a misconduct charge.

Harvey claimed at the tribunal hearing the pinching “didn’t happen once, it happened 300 times”.

Stratton’s pinching was not the only time in the match got physical, with a long-time rivalry reignited as Essendon and Hawthorn players got involved in an old-fashioned three-quarter time scuffle.

Mark Robinson :heavy_check_mark: @Robbo_heraldsun

The pinch heard around the world …

SI Extra Mustard :heavy_check_mark: @SI_ExtraMustard
An Aussie rules football player pinched an opponent so hard his arm was covered in bruises 👀

Embedded video

12:43 AM - Jun 15, 2019

54 people are talking about this

The two teams clashed on the wing in what quickly became an all-in push and shove, which appeared to centre around Essendon ruckman Tom Bellchambers who clashed with counterpart Ben McEvoy.

Hawthorn small forward Paul Puopolo went back to Bellchambers for words after the two teams had begun to separate.

The scuffle did not help the Hawks, who trailed by 23 points at the final break before fading away to go down by 19 points at Marvel Stadium.

2 Likes
16 Likes

8 Likes

Did he??

He said none of those words.

Fkn Journos. :roll_eyes:

“There are rules in place I think around the game. Things that happen within the rules are outside the rules. I assume it will take care of itself,” Worsfold said.

Yes. That IS what he said.

5 Likes

Bit harsh to rate stringer worst he had 2 goals to half time and umpires were crucifying him.

I did like this bit about Clarke though.
Dylan Clarke

Playing in just his third game, Clarke was magnificent in his shutdown role, taking Jaeger O’Meara out of the game. While O’Meara had 24 disposals, many of his possessions were in junk time, and his efficiency of just 54% is well below his average. Clarke, for his part, had 23 disposals at 82%, as well as five clearances. Has made himself an important part of Essendon’s midfield setup as the Bombers make a run towards finals

And Breust
Breust was totally irrelevant, with only 10 possessions and the solitary mark. Kicking only one goal, itself coming from one of the softest free kicks seen this season,

6 Likes

Cornes is a bit of a flog isn’t he

1 Like

Also illustrates Conor’s big first half, and O’Meara being ineffectual throughout.

WJ: It’s a lovely day today, isn’t it?

JR: Actually, it’s a bit cloudy.

Jake first down field free, soft, goal
Connor in the back free , soft , goal plus momentum
Begley low diving mark not paid
Kicking in danger free, soft, goal?
Tippa had his head pulled off again 15 mtrs out, no free, play on
Chamberlain re invented the laws of physics, diving on the ball while standing up, goal?
Guelfi hip and shouldered off the goal line, can’t do that any other time while a player doesn’t have possession, goal

We really should have flogged these poo and wee flogs

2 Likes

Basically, that China sucked.

1 Like

My dissent is that daggy? :crazy_face:

1 Like

“You’re so short you must be related to the coach!”

12 Likes

Chappie!!!

Nah man… dont do it… not when we’ve won the game. Umpiring wasn’t as bad as a lot of other games.

One major thing that I noticed out of last night’s game was the actual spirit and how the young guys celebrated goals by getting around one another last night in droves.

It was something that a lot of us thought was missing in the first half of the year, that enthusiasm when someone did something positive in the game.

The celebrations by Langford and Parish were particularly noticeable. Langford was even smiling constantly after the game as he was running around the fence hand slapping the fans back to the race.

These younger guys seem to be creating a close bond with one another which can only serve the team well going into the future. Just need the coaches to keep them playing and growing together consistently now.

11 Likes