Watched the replay this morning and while I don’t think we were amazing there were a couple of goods things.
- Myers had a good game, the congestion suited him for the most part. Heppel out might have helped.
- Redman and Guelfi played really good games and were involved some of our more exciting chains of play. Definitely looked at home in the seniors.
- I thought Tippa played well too. His pressure and repeat efforts are inspirational, and he’s got 12 goals for the year. Threatens to break games open but even when he doesn’t he’s valuable.
- At one stage in the 1st Q it was turning into a shoot-out and we slowed it down, switched it across the ground (back through our defensive 50) and came back the other side, brought it back into the corridor, hit up Tippa just outside 50 who got a 50m penalty for some protected zone infringement. Made me a bit nervous but it took control of the game and we probably should have done it a bit more, especially in the 3rd Q when we kept missing shots (and so did they).
- Too much bombing it in when Brisbane always had players back. It was very congested up forward which made clean shots hard to get. Needed to think our way through forward entries more.
- Pretty scrappy game and probably lucky Brisbane were just as crap in front of goal as we were.
- A win is a win but we wouldn’t have been as lucky against the Weagles, We will need to step-up.
- A good sign was that as soon as Brisbane did put the heat on and started a come back that was when we got it together. Basically we responded well to the pressure rather than capitulating.
Pretty crappy game and not a great replay to watch but good to see everyone cracking in - the effort was definitely there and we overcame the opposition in front of us.