Weight loss

5-2 diet for nearly 3 years now. It works for me. Works for my parents too, who were trying to lose weight their whole life, and now finally something they can stick to and lost a heap of weight.

5 days eating 2 fasting?

That’s the one. 600 calories on the 2 days. Hard at first, but gets easier. The 5 days you can eat and drink what you want.

IF is the one “diet” where I’m consistently seen people lose/control their weight
I’m slowly building up to the 24hr 1x a week. Once I can do that I’ll look to up my calories and gain weight. Hopefully the fast stops me from getting too fat, gives me a mental break from eating and also control my reflux/heartburn a bit

Are you saying you eat nothing at all for 24 hours straight?

It’ll be the 600cal in 24 hours
I did 20 across Saturday/Sunday on an icy pole and water ok

If you can get your head around it this is pretty good

5-2 diet for nearly 3 years now. It works for me. Works for my parents too, who were trying to lose weight their whole life, and now finally something they can stick to and lost a heap of weight.

5 days eating 2 fasting?

That’s the one. 600 calories on the 2 days. Hard at first, but gets easier. The 5 days you can eat and drink what you want.

IF is the one “diet” where I’m consistently seen people lose/control their weight
I’m slowly building up to the 24hr 1x a week. Once I can do that I’ll look to up my calories and gain weight. Hopefully the fast stops me from getting too fat, gives me a mental break from eating and also control my reflux/heartburn a bit

I was going to say. 600 cal is hard enough. But once you find some foods that work for you it’s good. Nothing beats sauerkraut btw :wink:

5 days eating 2 fasting?

I was going to say. 600 cal is hard enough. But once you find some foods that work for you it’s good. Nothing beats sauerkraut btw :wink:

For me it’s just mental. By the end I was hoping to find food in some pretty unusual places haha
One mistake I made was not drinking enough water to try and suppress my appetite a bit more

I decided at the beginning of this year that I would finally do something about my health, or more accurately lack of health.
Whilst I was employed in a semi physical job, my diet had been appalling for many years, and exercise was virtually non existent, including resistance training.

The scales creep up on you slowly, but unmistakably.
In my case, 2.5 to 3 kilo increase every year from 2009 till the end of 2016.
That equates to 86kg - 105.5kg in 7 years.
Whilst I wasn’t obese at 105ish at 184cm tall (with some muscle on my frame from weight training previously), I could see that if I continued with my unhealthy lifestyle, another 7 years could easily see me at 130kg and in my early 50’s…SCARY

Being Italian, I love bread, pasta, sweets.
In fact, any and all carbs.
There’s no doubt, I was addicted to Carbs and sugar.
I knew I needed some strict rules regarding Carb consumption if I was going to achieve anything worthwhile.
LCHF is a good option for many, but I considered too wishy washy for me, given my addictive personality.
So after doing some reading, and watching a bunch of YT clips, I decided that Ketogenic would be my vehicle towards health and weight loss.
For those unaware, a Ketogenic diet is generally made up of the following Macros…
Percentage of calories from FAT 75%, PROTEIN 20%, Net CARBS (carbs minus fibre) 5%.
I won’t delve too deeply in the benefits of a Keto diet, as it is explained far better online, other than to say those in Ketosis have switched their body from using sugar(glucose) as fuel, to burning Ketones (or their own fat deposits).
This is largely due to a reduction of Insulin in your system {Dr.Eric.Berg describes this very well on his TY channel}.

I thought I would share some of my experiences so far, since beginning on Mon 2nd Jan.
Firstly, the transission was far smoother than I had anticipated, with the worst symptoms being very light headaches in the first week or so, and some mild lethargy.
Not surprising, as I almost completely stopped feeding my body a fuel source that it had been using for 46 years, and I restricted caffeine in the initial stages also.

My energy levels have been quite constant.
I’m not suffering from the dreaded ups and downs associated with a refined carb diet.
Have not suffered from bloating, or any other intestinal problems.

NOW, the biggest plus is…
I feel absolutely satisfied once I eat a meal.
I can go 6 hrs or more before needing to eat again.
My cravings are completely under control, the high fat in my diet has me satiated for longer.
It’s difficult to explain it to someone who hasn’t tried high fat before, but it really does control your appetite.
Even intermittent fasting has been a breeze, whereby some mornings I don’t feel like eating, so will hold off till lunch, then have have dinner later that evening.

Let me provide some context…
As I have had a keen interest in nutrition in the past, I know that my previous diet consisted of approx 3000+ calories a day.Probably nudging 3500 on some days.
And I could easily have snacked on more food late evenings if there were no consequences.

Whilst on Keto, I have budgeted for 2200 per day, and have struggled to reach it on a consistent basis.
So much so that some evenings, I’m consuming a Fat Bomb, or spooning myself Coconut Oil to bump my Fats up.
Point being, I feel full and satisfied.
Over eating has been completely eliminated on this style of eating.

Is it restrictive ?
Yes it is, obviously, but there are alternatives to almost every carb food that I ate previously, it just takes some effort in the kitchen to make it happen.
Fruit is probably the most difficult food to give up (berries excepted), as there is no viable substitute for it, but once achieving your goal weight, some fruit can be re-introduced without hopefully knocking your body out of fat burning mode.

Apart from that, it’s a piece of p*ss.
Don’t want to give up having Pizza once in a while ?
Fine, just make a base with Cauliflower and cheese.
Don’t want to give up sweets ?
Fine, make a chocolate mousse with Mascarpone, Double Cream, Cacao Powder and Stevia.
Don’t want to give up Pasta ?
Fine, make it with Zucchini, and top it with any sauce you can think of (home made, low carb, obviously).

I’m not focussing on the foods I can’t have, rather all the tasty foods I can, that I would not have dreamt of placing in my shopping trolley before.
Such as…full fat Philadelphia Cream cheese, Brie, double cream, fattier cuts of meat/mince and chicken (hello drumsticks, thighs and skin), bacon with the fat on, animal drippings/lard, copious amounts of coconut oil, olive oil & butter.
Also, the fattiest, tastiest and probably most nutritious nuts(macadamia).

Having said all that, I am eating nutritious food, and plenty of healthy fats, along with a Green Superfood blend and Apple Cider Vinegar daily.

So, am I getting results ?
Do I feel better/healthier ?
Is it realistically do-able long term ?

A resounding YES to all 3 of the above.
Weight loss is happening effortlessly.
5kg down after 20 completed days, without a whole heap of exercise or resistance training so far.

I certainly feel better…no question.

I can’t see how eating carbs to the excess that I was before, will ever be introduced into my diet ever again.
This style of eating is easy to follow, once you understand the foods you must limit.
Of course, you don’t have to be FULL KETO all the time.
There are times when LCHF will serve you well, and may in fact be the way to go once your obtimal weight is reached.

Anyhow, I’ve rambled on for long enough.
Just wanted to share my experience, as it’s been a totally positive one, and I know this diet and some others similar have been discussed in the Health forum recently.
If there are any Blitzers wanting to lose weight, or feel better/reclaim their health, I highly recommend doing some research on Keto, or LCHF, or even Paleo.

• This might be my longest post ever !
1 Like

Interesting. Best of luck with it. I assume you need to cut out Alcohol completely in this diet?

Interesting. Best of luck with it. I assume you need to cut out Alcohol completely in this diet?

That one was easy for me as I’ve never been much of a drinker (max 1-2 drinks once a month on ave).
I can understand those that love a casual drink with mates, or enjoy a glass or 2 of wine with their dinner, might find this too restrictive.
Certainly, if you decided that Ketogenic was suitable for you in achieving your health goals, then alcohol would have to be eliminated completely.

Particularly, if you had some weight to lose (like 20kg +), as alcohol will take you away from where you need to be (Ketosis).
Once the majority of the weight has been lost, and/or health restored, I guess you could reintroduce some alcohol consumption, and monitor how it affects your body.

Being in a state of Ketosis is not the goal, health is the goal.
So if you reach a goal weight, and feel healthy, and then have the occasional drink without consequences, that may make you happier in the long term.

Very interesting bltn, sounds like you have hit on something sustainable.

As you saw on my post last page, I’m not in an awfully different scenario as you might have noticed, a bit older, a tiny bit taller and about 5 kg heavier, as well as having a no activity job at a desk. I’ve lost a similar amount in a similar time frame, with a significant activity increase (cycling ~ 5 times a week - about 5 hours total), which is increasing my leg muscle, and I am limiting carbs similarly and getting a bit of intermittent fasting happening (once or twice a week), and using the Apple Cider vinegar twice a day. I am keenly making sure I get plenty of good oils emphasizing omega 3, plenty of proteins (nuts, chia, fish and chicken) and trying to get plenty of greens too. My greens, chia, nuts, yoghurt and berry smoothy for breakfast is probably my main meal and really sets me up for the day.

I think you are probably having a more rapid weight loss, and sustainably enjoying your eating, so good on you. I am enjoying being fitter again and am considering getting some upper body cardio happening to make sure I am functionally fit as well as aiding weight loss.The best thing is just saying no to sugar and starch, and feeling much better, losing cravings and really enjoying good food in my main meals. I feel as if the attitudinal switch which I needed flicking has been flicked.

I was involved in a taste test of food at a nursing home yesterday, which I arranged last year before knowing I’d be on a new diet, I ate the food which unfortunately involved a lot of processed and frozen foods with plenty of starch, low quality oils and sweet dessert. I enjoyed the taste of the dessert, but I felt totally rubbish on the way home, feeling much tireder than I should have and felt uncomfortable and less well.

It is an unfortunate fact, that the more you experience healthy food and lifestyle, you suffer more when you don’t follow it, or at least are more sensitive to not feeling as well, because you have felt the difference.

I really feel like I can maintain good eating and activity until I reach my goal of losing 30kg.

So after 23 days I have lost about 5 kg and attempting to keep up a pace of 1 kg a week.

3 weeks down, only 26 weeks to go???

@SCarey

I went back and re-read your post from the 9th of Jan.
Yes I do remember reading it now.

It’s amazing how close our goals are in terms of number of kilos we’d like to lose, the time frame, and the method in which to achieve it.

Wholeheartedly agree with the importance of saying “no” to sugar and starches.
Whilst the first week might be difficult for some, the cravings disappear, and hunger control is a breeze when eating whole nutritious foods.

I don’t want to be one of those people with an inclination to post every meal on Instagram (I don’t have an account), but I read your above post whilst preparing dinner, so I snapped a pic.

I’m only eating twice today, so this was a reasonably high calorie meal (850cal).
Piece of Perch
Bacon, pizza sauce and cheese on Zucchini (plenty of coconut & olive oil)
Cos Lettuce drenched with Ranch dressing

Ate it straight off the tray !

@bltn

Looks delicious.

I’m definitely in the same mindset, and it does taste and feel good.

All of you who are trying to be healthy and trying to change your lifestyles, ■■■■■■ good on you, so very hard. My bogey is having too many extra drinks on fri & sat night, any tips would
be appreciated :slight_smile:

All of you who are trying to be healthy and trying to change your lifestyles, bloody good on you, so very hard. My bogey is having too many extra drinks on fri & sat night, any tips would be appreciated :)

Steer clear of moi.

Update weight loss on Keto after 45 days…

Down to 97.5kg this morning, after starting at 105.5kg on 2/1/17

Only doing 1 weights workout per week for about 25-30mins, and 2 x 12min circuits per week.
Average 2200 calories per day.
No hunger, no cravings, no temptation to stray.
Easy weight loss, no fluctuating energy, no dizzy spells, never think about food.
Just effortless, and satiation levels that I have never experienced in my 46 years.

@SCarey
How are you going on your journey ?

I am still going okay, although stalled a little this past week. Still down about 7 kg since just before Christmas.

Dal Santo has let himself go a bit

@SCarey

It’s amazing how close our goals are in terms of number of kilos we’d like to lose, the time frame, and the method in which to achieve it.

Whilst the first week might be difficult for some, the cravings disappear, and hunger control is a breeze when eating whole nutritious foods.

I don’t want to be one of those people with an inclination to post every meal on Instagram (I don’t have an account), but I read your above post whilst preparing dinner, so I snapped a pic.

I’m only eating twice today, so this was a reasonably high calorie meal (850cal).
Piece of Perch

looks good, after eating the perch and the pizza not sure if i would be interested in the salad.

@SCarey

Piece of Perch

looks good, after eating the perch and the pizza not sure if i would be interested in the salad.

Yer, I had trouble consuming the amount of green leafies that are necessary whilst eating LC, so now I sauté a sh*tload of baby spinach just enough to wilt it down, and add in any fat I feel like for flavour, and it’s very tasty.

Green Thickies!! (or smoothies)

Green Thickies!! (or smoothies)

Good idea to get more in the diet, in a more user friendly way (I guess).
I don’t like the texture of kale, but can’t ignore it’s amazing benefits, so morning kale smoothie with wheatgrass it is !