Weight loss

Ha, I’ve plateaued although I’m happy with results so far. Reached an equilibrium of exercise vs beer. Must admit though I’m heaps fitter, can go ride for around 3 hours without any problem.

4 Likes

So no sugar at all?
Do you drink coffee with milk?
Carbs?

1 Like

Don’t want to bore people but since you’ve asked: no breakfast save two decaf filter coffees and full cream milk. I eat the same lunch every day: 6-8 olives, 6-8 baby cukes, 2-3 pickled onions, about 15 grams of Mersey cheese and a few bits of sun dried tomato. Dinner is usually something like a good-sized piece of grilled salmon and capers and a salad (baby spinach, gojis/ cranberries, Spanish onion and balsamic vinegar). I have one small takeaway flat white in the afternoon and two bananas if/when I’m peckish during the afternoon. Lots of water.

2 Likes

Been on 16/8 intermittent fasting for almost three months. Have not lost a kilo. Not a word of a lie.
Not as bloated though.
My diet is iffy. Don’t eat anything like TwoDogs described above.
It’s not pies and hot dogs, just sandwiches and a meat-based diet.
Exercise is ok, walk 30kms a week.
But like everything it just comes down to what you put in your cakehole.

1 Like

That’s not a lot of food and hardly any carbs.

1 Like

I was curious, so I ran the numbers thru the CalorieKing App.
Hopefully it’s accurate.

I estimated the quantities based on your post.
Let me know if any of my guesstimates are wildly out.

A little over 1300 calories per day is low-ish for anyone, let alone a male.
Without knowing your activity levels, an extra 500 cals a day wouldn’t hurt.
At least spike it up a few days a week so your body doesn’t drop your metabolism (the ole starvation response).

Anyhow, here are the numbers…

2 Likes

Thanks so much for doing that! Bloody fascinating. I was actually wondering if I was starving myself in a scientific sense (rarely feel hungry) and you’ve shown me I may well be. In recent days I’ve added a couple of pieces of cut watermelon to the evening meal and I’ll probably add something like bok choy and field mushrooms or some corn cobettes to the main course. I do appreciate your kind intentions!

No worries.
I’m not an expert, and I’m certainly not an expert on your body.
It’s merely a hobby.
When I read Shelton’s post above, my curiousity got the better of me.

Of course, if the Salmon portion for dinner is say, twice as big as I budgeted for, then the Protein and Fat numbers increase significantly.
Perhaps you are throwing in more cranberries and gojis in that salad, or there is some Olive Oil not accounted for somewhere.
It’s possible, though not probable, that the final energy figure could be closer to 2000cals, but you would need to weigh all your portions for 1 day to be sure.

:+1:

1 Like

Understood😁. I’m conscious of the body starving itself defence mode and I’m going to deliberately try different foods in the coming weeks to change things up a little. That said, I’m rarely hungry and the inclination to eat rubbish has well and truly disappeared. Someone told me when I started the 16:8 approach that a diet became a lifestyle after 60 days and I’m now well past that. I guess that aspect of it is true. I don’t regard what I’m doing now as something that has a finite life or end period. It just is what I do now. That’s quite a different psychological approach and is quite impactful.

1 Like

Its take about four weeks to make the change from one habit into another in the physical body then mental and emotionally up to six to eight weeks OR; they bust and return to their old ways.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too worried. If you’re feeling good and have plenty of energy, then there can’t be too much wrong. You’re getting a healthy dose of protein with the salmon (or whatever else you organise dinner around), and there seems to be a fair bit of fibre depending on the quantities of fruit and veggies that you eat. The only food group I noticed lacking was carbs. Personally I can’t live without bread and luckily I don’t have any allergy problems. Megz would have a much better idea than me about whether there are flaring deficiencies in your diet.

2 Likes

Bread was by far the hardest thing to give away. We ate a lot of bread- sourdough usually but sometimes I’d opt for those tiger rolls or something crunchy and then I’d also load up on white chocolate and berry scones for morning tea. I was hopeless so I just had to go from flat out to full stop. Missed it initially but am past it now.

3 Likes

I stated as much in the OP of the Low-Carb thread.
I love all that stuff…bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, but I can’t eat them in moderation.
I had to cut them out entirely, and simply find substitutes that were palatable, and would maintain the framework of my new eating plan.
If I didn’t, I know I’d be headed towards 120kg now and metabolic disease.

The sacrifices are worth it and after a while, don’t feel like sacrifices at all !

1 Like

Don’t they say nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. ‘They’ have obviously never had Smith’s salt and vinegar chips on a sourdough Vegemite sandwich🤒

4 Likes

Can’t say you’re tempting me there. Make it a big donut with pink icing though …

2 Likes

I was sitting at 103kg in early December and within a few months was able to hit 82kg and I’ve managed to sit around that mark ever since, I still eat some bad food almost daily but with the dropped weight I can now burn off what I eat better.

After playing in the blitz charity game early this year I had a 2km time trial for footy the next day (ugh) I got 9.28 which was pretty average but I’ve now got that down to 8.08. We had our first training back today and I could certainly feel the difference as I finished the running block in top few in group which is a major improvement from where I was last year.

13 Likes

Awesome! Congratulations on your achievements.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread after a long hiatus.

I got down to 80kg and then life caught up. I stopped going for walks, exercising and ate crap.

My clothes went from a Large to 2XL and before you know it back to 98kg.

Trying to avoid the shakes for meal replacement and just eating healthier (wife ordered Hellofresh). Love the variety but concerned about the portions for a family of 4 considering last night we had rustic handmade chips, 2 pork schnitzels each (penko crumbed) and coleslaw with pear. There were 4 schnitzel left over.

Biggest change I have done is cut the junk food and soft drink. Opting for Lo Bros kombucha and apple cider Cola over diet coke.

In 3 days I have lost 2kg with no exercising but reaching the 8000-10,000 steps a day.

3 Likes

Got to Oct last year and realised a jacket I owned didnt fit my belly anymore. I had to change things…was just eating and drinking through ISO

Got on the Manshakes…Lost 8 kilo since then. Down to 84 from 92.
Manshake breakie
Snack
Manshake lunch
Snack
Dinner

Still have KFC and Beers on the occasion. Stepping it up thou and Im off the Beer until my 40th bday end of March.

This all with regular walking and some weights.

2 Likes

I know this is getting away from convention mate, but frankly normal sucks (for some people anyway).

Consider compressing your eating window.
Simply cut out 1 meal, perhaps Breakfast, meaning that you will be Fasting for between 14-16 hours in a 24 hr window.
It may mean that your other 2 meals are slightly bigger in total calories, and that’s fine.
Just have black coffee or tea in the morning.

NO SNACKS between the 2 meals.
Your blood sugar stability and subsequent Insulin control will facilitate satiation and craving control.
I.e. You won’t be hungry, even though logically you think you will (before you start).

You need to find an eating plan that achieves satiation, whatever that means for you.
Energy balance (calories v calories out) will look after itself when you find this.

I firmly believe that an ideal weight set point should be achievable with just diet.
Of course exercise is beneficial for so many other reasons, and will naturally speed up your weight loss.
I reckon just continue the daily walking, and buy a pair of second hand dumbells to do some basic resistance training in your garage.

3 Likes