Weight loss

I wonder if mentioning that having plentiful, vigorous and lengthy intercourse, leads to more calorie burning will lead to more of it.. might be pushing it..

fixed

And you canvassed the idea on blitz. That will seal the deal

:smiley:

I lost just on 20kgs about five years ago through a very strict exercise and diet regime. It's slowly all come back on as the discipline slipped. It's very easy to give up and I'd got to the very sad point last week where instead of being able to do the 300 challenge without too much trouble I was barely capable of doing 5 minutes on a cross-trainer. This thread inspired me to get off my fat ā– ā– ā– ā– , embrace exercise again and, trust me - it's they key- watch what I eat. Thanks guys!

Your problem wasnā€™t discipline. Your problem was the diet you were on sucked. If you canā€™t do it forever it sucks. Fullstop. If your TV stops working you donā€™t blame yourself, same with stupid diets.

Megz, youā€™ve said that sort of thing before, and I know youā€™re a dietitian, but donā€™t you think that for many people, keeping their weight under control really does require some discipline?

In the past many people didnā€™t have enough to eat, food availability depended on the season, junk food didnā€™t exist, advertising of food didnā€™t exist, TV didnā€™t exist to entertain us and keep us indoors, and the way you got to the shop to buy food was by walking there.

Lifeā€™s different now. Food is everywhere, portion sizes are immense, weā€™re bombarded with saturation advertising telling us to have a Mars bar or a sweet sport drink or a ā€œsnackā€ (the eqivalent of a small meal) mid-morning at Maccas. Malnutrition is (with a few exceptions) a thing of the past, obesity is an epidemic and getting worse, and the average Australian is significantly overweight.

In the face of all that temptation, donā€™t you think that many people need to make a real effort in order to lose weight and get themselves in reasonable shape? And that part of that effort has to involve deciding on a sensible eating regime ā€“ i.e., a diet ā€“ and sticking to it ā€“ i.e., discipline? And if the person, after doing this for a period of time, perhaps years, begins to succumb to the temptation to miss days of exercise, have that chocolate muffin or whatever, is that always the fault of the diet the person chose to follow? Or is it sometimes that the person gets a bit slack and stops following it ā€“ i.e., lack of discipline?

Iā€™m not saying that there are no bad weightloss diets. The protein only, no oil, paleo, Pritikin, no doubt many others, theyā€™re all essentially fad diets and hopeless for the long term. Two Dogs didnā€™t say that he was on one of those, he said he was on a strict diet regime, and discipline slipped. My 1450 calories a day is a diet regime, and if I get slack over Christmas and bust the limit day after day and put on weight, I regard that as my fault, not the dietā€™s.

In todayā€™s society keeping control of your weight really does require constant attention to what you eat and how much exercise you do. Thereā€™s no effortless diet, and wherever effort is required, thereā€™s always the temptation to relax, just this once. And just this once more. And again.

Sure, so called discipline is important but whatā€™s MORE important is to figure out why your eating what youā€™re eating. Boredom? Angry? Tired? Happy? Sad? Etc etc. If you can dig deeper and figure this out and work on it then discipline is unnecessary.

I want a ciggie!!! waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I lost just on 20kgs about five years ago through a very strict exercise and diet regime. It's slowly all come back on as the discipline slipped. It's very easy to give up and I'd got to the very sad point last week where instead of being able to do the 300 challenge without too much trouble I was barely capable of doing 5 minutes on a cross-trainer. This thread inspired me to get off my fat ā– ā– ā– ā– , embrace exercise again and, trust me - it's they key- watch what I eat. Thanks guys!

Your problem wasnā€™t discipline. Your problem was the diet you were on sucked. If you canā€™t do it forever it sucks. Fullstop. If your TV stops working you donā€™t blame yourself, same with stupid diets.

Megz, youā€™ve said that sort of thing before, and I know youā€™re a dietitian, but donā€™t you think that for many people, keeping their weight under control really does require some discipline?

In the past many people didnā€™t have enough to eat, food availability depended on the season, junk food didnā€™t exist, advertising of food didnā€™t exist, TV didnā€™t exist to entertain us and keep us indoors, and the way you got to the shop to buy food was by walking there.

Lifeā€™s different now. Food is everywhere, portion sizes are immense, weā€™re bombarded with saturation advertising telling us to have a Mars bar or a sweet sport drink or a ā€œsnackā€ (the eqivalent of a small meal) mid-morning at Maccas. Malnutrition is (with a few exceptions) a thing of the past, obesity is an epidemic and getting worse, and the average Australian is significantly overweight.

In the face of all that temptation, donā€™t you think that many people need to make a real effort in order to lose weight and get themselves in reasonable shape? And that part of that effort has to involve deciding on a sensible eating regime ā€“ i.e., a diet ā€“ and sticking to it ā€“ i.e., discipline? And if the person, after doing this for a period of time, perhaps years, begins to succumb to the temptation to miss days of exercise, have that chocolate muffin or whatever, is that always the fault of the diet the person chose to follow? Or is it sometimes that the person gets a bit slack and stops following it ā€“ i.e., lack of discipline?

Iā€™m not saying that there are no bad weightloss diets. The protein only, no oil, paleo, Pritikin, no doubt many others, theyā€™re all essentially fad diets and hopeless for the long term. Two Dogs didnā€™t say that he was on one of those, he said he was on a strict diet regime, and discipline slipped. My 1450 calories a day is a diet regime, and if I get slack over Christmas and bust the limit day after day and put on weight, I regard that as my fault, not the dietā€™s.

In todayā€™s society keeping control of your weight really does require constant attention to what you eat and how much exercise you do. Thereā€™s no effortless diet, and wherever effort is required, thereā€™s always the temptation to relax, just this once. And just this once more. And again.

Sure, so called discipline is important but whatā€™s MORE important is to figure out why your eating what youā€™re eating. Boredom? Angry? Tired? Happy? Sad? Etc etc. If you can dig deeper and figure this out and work on it then discipline is unnecessary.

I want a ciggie!!! waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

ā– ā– ā– ā–  it, have 16 hamburgers instead!

Weightloss update

After what I call a rough patch (A friendā€™s childā€™s birthday, Chinese New Year and Shrove Tuesday at work) I still managed to lose 7kg in 3 and a half weeks and my waistline has shrunk another 0.5cms (now 106.5). After the rough patch I still burnt 1kg

Iā€™m still not doing overly exertive exercises just staying on my feet and getting an average of 11,000 steps during the working week. Using my fitbit to monitor my eating plan, Iā€™ve been allowed 2000 calories to get to my weight goal by June (wether or not I get there at that time is yet to be seen) and yesterday I ate about 1400cal. (2x shakes and chicken wrap with small serve of chips.

Weightloss update

After what I call a rough patch (A friendā€™s childā€™s birthday, Chinese New Year and Shrove Tuesday at work) I still managed to lose 7kg in 3 and a half weeks and my waistline has shrunk another 0.5cms (now 106.5). After the rough patch I still burnt 1kg

Iā€™m still not doing overly exertive exercises just staying on my feet and getting an average of 11,000 steps during the working week. Using my fitbit to monitor my eating plan, Iā€™ve been allowed 2000 calories to get to my weight goal by June (wether or not I get there at that time is yet to be seen) and yesterday I ate about 1400cal. (2x shakes and chicken wrap with small serve of chips.

Good work. Kids parties are difficult when all the food served is junk food. I fill up before going.
Weightloss update

Good work. Kids parties are difficult when all the food served is junk food. I fill up before going.

Tell me about itā€¦ I skipped breakfast to allow the extra caloriesā€¦ I was surprised that there were some pretty decent options:

• Meat balls
  • vegetarian rice paper rolls.
  • Mini quiches
  • Mini lettuce cups (mince, carrots in a lettuce leaf)

I generally stay away from cold foods that have been left out awhile and are warm (like the rice paper rolls). I feel rude not to eat at kids parties.

Going to Fountain Gate tonight for Valentines Day to see Deadpool so tonight will be a bit of ā€œlet ourselves goā€ with a popcorn combo and dinnerā€¦ Goin to be working my butt off today by doing a detailed cleaning of our carsā€¦

Our blender died.

So for a lol I bought a Nutri ninja thing. Iā€™ll be extracting nutrients til the early morn.

Jugs are way to big for practical use, but thatā€™s ok.

I did the CSIRO about 18 months ago and lost 14 Kgs in around 15 weeks, Now I run 2 times a week 8-10 k run and bike one or 2 times a week around 25-30klms per session, whatever time permits but I do at least 3 cardio sessions a week. I pretty much eat what I like now but learned about portion sizes and my conscious gets the better of me when I eat badly for more than a day or so.
I think weighing yourself ever day also helps to keep you focused on maintaining a weight

Our blender died, so went and bought an AS SEEN ON TV EXTREME NUTRI NINJA.

Let the cellular extraction begin!

I did the CSIRO about 18 months ago and lost 14 Kgs in around 15 weeks, Now I run 2 times a week 8-10 k run and bike one or 2 times a week around 25-30klms per session, whatever time permits but I do at least 3 cardio sessions a week. I pretty much eat what I like now but learned about portion sizes and my conscious gets the better of me when I eat badly for more than a day or so. I think weighing yourself ever day also helps to keep you focused on maintaining a weight
Or makes you obsess and freak out over every little fluctuation which are entirely normal. I actually recommend that most people don't weigh themselves at all. It's very much a personal thing.
I did the CSIRO about 18 months ago and lost 14 Kgs in around 15 weeks, Now I run 2 times a week 8-10 k run and bike one or 2 times a week around 25-30klms per session, whatever time permits but I do at least 3 cardio sessions a week. I pretty much eat what I like now but learned about portion sizes and my conscious gets the better of me when I eat badly for more than a day or so. I think weighing yourself ever day also helps to keep you focused on maintaining a weight
Or makes you obsess and freak out over every little fluctuation which are entirely normal. I actually recommend that most people don't weigh themselves at all. It's very much a personal thing.
I started weighing myself daily but now only do so every 3 / 4 weeks.

I weigh myself every day. I donā€™t obsess about it, itā€™s just part of the routine. It fluctuates from one day to the next, but over a week or so it gives a good idea whether Iā€™m gaining, losing or staying put. I could forget about weighing and just go on whether my trousers are feeling tight or loose, but watching the scales gives me a warning before they start to get tight.

Once a week for me. Same scales, same time, same conditions.

Went away to Dubai for five days with my wife. We booked in all you can eat and drink (Alcohol) restaurants for each night. Ate to my hearts content and canā€™t remember how much I drankā€¦thought I was going to burst each night. After the trip the next morning I was too scared to weigh myself after a heavy five daysā€¦lo and behold I forced myself to take the plunge and get on the scales and suffer the consequences so I can get back on track. Unbelievableā€¦lost over 1/2 kg. I put it down to the fact that each night I started with heaps of sushi followed by whiskey and coke and sashimi followed by whiskey and coke then some grilled fish followed by whiskey and coke and then more whiskey and coke and so onā€¦Had no bread or sweets until only a small amount on the last day and very very small amount of rice with one of the many pot dishes followed by whiskey and coke. On the last day had to be helped by my wife to walk back to the hotel. Didnā€™t (couldnā€™t) have any breakfast nor lunch so dinners were the only meals and was careful not to have too many carbs. As the week wore on I was using less coke in the whiskey too. To sum it up had a great five days away and it didnā€™t cost me any weight gainā€¦I reckon the alcohol killed all the fat moleculesā€¦Go figure!!!

Less stress will result in higher testosterone production in the body which will help burn fat
(Not to mention all the other chemical/hormonal crap that goes on with stress that I havenā€™t got my head around yet)

Yes, yes, blenders will die when you furtively stick large screwdrivers into themā€¦

Yes, yes, blenders will die when you furtively stick large screwdrivers into themā€¦

Went away to Dubai for five days with my wife. We booked in all you can eat and drink (Alcohol) restaurants for each night. Ate to my hearts content and can't remember how much I drank...thought I was going to burst each night. After the trip the next morning I was too scared to weigh myself after a heavy five days....lo and behold I forced myself to take the plunge and get on the scales and suffer the consequences so I can get back on track. Unbelievable....lost over 1/2 kg. I put it down to the fact that each night I started with heaps of sushi followed by whiskey and coke and sashimi followed by whiskey and coke then some grilled fish followed by whiskey and coke and then more whiskey and coke and so on....Had no bread or sweets until only a small amount on the last day and very very small amount of rice with one of the many pot dishes followed by whiskey and coke. On the last day had to be helped by my wife to walk back to the hotel. Didn't (couldn't) have any breakfast nor lunch so dinners were the only meals and was careful not to have too many carbs. As the week wore on I was using less coke in the whiskey too. To sum it up had a great five days away and it didn't cost me any weight gain...I reckon the alcohol killed all the fat molecules...Go figure!!!

Was it diet whiskey?

What about just, ā€œAll this salt and sugar and deep fried food tastes good, and filling up on it and washing it down with a Coke makes me feel nice and full. And if I cut out the mid morning snack of muffin and latte with two sugars then I get hungry.ā€ I mean thereā€™s a reason why junk food contains all that crap: it tastes good and it gives you instantaneous satisfaction. Why is it always some psychological reason rather than the fairly obvious one that itā€™s nice to eat lots of tasty foods and sitting on your aarse doing nothing is easier than getting off it and working up a sweat?

If you wanna eat that, then go for it. But why on earth would you expect to lose (or even maintain) weight doing it?

I tried all these diets, all at once, ate everything mentioned and put on 10 kg!

Thatā€™s the problem with diet advertising. They donā€™t say it explicitly, but the implicit message is, You can really pig out on all this delicious stuff day after day and youā€™ll look like Elle McPherson in a couple of weeks!

Itā€™s not surprising that most people who sign up donā€™t last the course.

Statistical fact (at least as of 2011): less than 10% of people with a Fitness First gym membership use it over a 6 month period, and something like 70% have never used memberships they have paid and signed up for

Thereā€™s a gym chain in the US I was listening to a podcast about, all of their gyms have 10x more members than the place can hold at once. Because they know no-one turns up. For the ones who do they come to use the massage chairs while the workout gear is hidden in a back room.

Itā€™s the most cynical business model Iā€™ve seen and it works a treat. When the first one opened up near by I gave it three months. Now there are 4 of this style of gym within a 5k radius. The idea that enough people will pay for something they wonā€™t use is mental.

Itā€™s actually a more common business model than youā€™d think too. Costco bases their stores around the idea of you having a membership and never coming in

With Costco, you just need to buy a couple of big ticket items and youā€™ve made your money back in one go. Now Iā€™m so far from town, I make sure I go every time I am in town, but if this drops off, Iā€™ll drop off.

There there, you've got years months weeks left, at least.