Weird News Tidbits

Quoted Post

What hope do we have for any decent journalism when this is the standard.

Reported in the Murdoch owned Gold Coast Bulletin website

“The men are said to have begun their crime spree in Caboolture yesterday morning when they were pulled over by police in a stolen car.”

Doesn’t anyone read this stuff before it goes to press?

Standard Operating Procedure for Caboolture Police.

Budget cuts biting deep?

Is it fair to target Christianity like this?

If people want to be atheist that is their choice, or any other thing they choose to be, but why denigrate someone else’s belief?

1 Like

And before you say it, no I am not offended, just do not understand the need for such a provocative display againstwhat others believe. Sure they may have been hurt but who hasn’t, all all parts of life not just religion. People get hurt by work, hurt by relationshsips, hurt by many things, they rarely take out billboards about it.

Everything he said in that article is bullcrap.

Quoted Post

If people want to be atheist that is their choice, or any other thing they choose to be, but why denigrate someone else’s belief?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/have-you-escaped-religion-we-have-the-billboard-that-will-make-christians-cross/story-fniym3t1-1227210471125

I agree with the principle in your second line. Everyone is entitled to believe exactly what they wish.

However, I don’t think it’s targetting Christianity, other than as part of the umbrella group of “religion”.

You could draw a paralel between this billboard and Saturday morning door-knocking though. Just don’t tell me what to think, about anything, ever.

Quoted Post

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/have-you-escaped-religion-we-have-the-billboard-that-will-make-christians-cross/story-fniym3t1-1227210471125

Is what’s pictured the extent of it Icey?

Not really seeing where you’re coming from TBH. Obviously I’ll never quite get your religious perspective (and that’s fine) but look around at modern billboard advertising, man. There’s a heck of a lot of stuff that’s walking very very close to a lot of lines, how many boobs do you see advertising frigging socks etc?

Other than the subject matter - ie the delivery, the design - that’s tame.
IMHO.

And (as a general matter) if we’re treading lines, I’d prefer something that people have to think about a bit to get offended by, rather than just mindlessly graphic violence/sex/other stuff. Which basically just desensitise us to every extreme.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Is what’s pictured the extent of it Icey?

Not really seeing where you’re coming from TBH. Obviously I’ll never quite get your religious perspective (and that’s fine) but look around at modern billboard advertising, man. There’s a heck of a lot of stuff that’s walking very very close to a lot of lines, how many boobs do you see advertising frigging socks etc?

Other than the subject matter - ie the delivery, the design - that’s tame.
IMHO.

And (as a general matter) if we’re treading lines, I’d prefer something that people have to think about a bit to get offended by, rather than just mindlessly graphic violence/sex/other stuff. Which basically just desensitise us to every extreme.

Yeah that’s fair and it is why I asked the question.

Oh man.

Ex religious people sprouting to religious people is worse than hearing people who’ve given up smoking ranting to smokers.

I find all religion in offensive, but, that’s just me.

Quoted Post

And before you say it, no I am not offended, just do not understand the need for such a provocative display againstwhat others believe. Sure they may have been hurt but who hasn't, all all parts of life not just religion. People get hurt by work, hurt by relationshsips, hurt by many things, they rarely take out billboards about it.

Everything he said in that article is bullcrap.

effin oath it’s fair!
What, i haven’t read enough ‘Jesus Saves’ tripe on boards yet??

People knock on my door of my home, every week, to promote religion.

Religious flyers appear regularly in my mailbox.

There’s religious billboards on the highway implying I need to wash myself in the blood of someone in order to escape eternal torment.

A casual stroll through the city mall results in people stating similar eerie statements through a loudspeaker for my kids to digest.

And you know that’s all ok as long as everyone’s allowed a voice, can choose to listen or not to listen.

I think in the scheme of things, and unless you’re against the marketplace of ideas, atheists can put up a billboard.

And in relation to that article, guy seems more anti-thiest than athiest. But his opions are no less ‘crap’ than the ones he’s opposing.

Quoted Post

There’s religious billboards on the highway implying I need to wash myself in the blood of someone in order to escape eternal torment.

A casual stroll through the city mall results in people stating similar eerie statements through a loudspeaker for my kids to digest.

And you know that’s all ok as long as everyone’s allowed a voice, can choose to listen or not to listen.

I think in the scheme of things, and unless you’re against the marketplace of ideas, atheists can put up a billboard.

And in relation to that article, guy seems more anti-thiest than athiest. But his opions are no less ‘crap’ than the ones he’s opposing.

I get so sick of people knocking on my door, I have just had gates installed. Once a month on average. “God has come to this house” or " hello I’m bill and this is my wife Mavis".

Like I care. I end up just saying not interested and shutting the door.

But what really annoys me is what gives these people the right to firstly interrupt my day, and secondly think they can tell me how to live my life. Who the hell died and put them in charge.

They don’t know anything about me, yet presume to lecture me on how I can live a better life. It’s insulting, it’s presumptuous and it completely wastes my time.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I get so sick of people knocking on my door, I have just had gates installed. Once a month on average. “God has come to this house” or " hello I’m bill and this is my wife Mavis".

But what really annoys me is what gives these people the right to firstly interrupt my day, and secondly think they can tell me how to live my life. Who the hell died and put them in charge.

They don’t know anything about me, yet presume to lecture me on how I can live a better life. It’s insulting, it’s presumptuous and it completely wastes my time.

giggle

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

ummm… Jesus?

[citation needed]

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

ummm… Jesus?

Even if Jesus did specifically ask these people to interrupt me, I’m still going to give them a right bollocking and tell them to f*uck right off.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

ummm… Jesus?

Lots of people might have died, but nobody put them in charge. There is too many of them.

What a wonderfully accidental turn of phrase there, Scorpio :slight_smile:

My Aunt was converted by Jehovah’s Witnesses who happened to knock on her door one day.

When you think about it, just how many doors would you have to knock on per conversion?

The effort for result ratio doesn’t bear thinking about.

In my Aunt’s case they also landed the six children.

Fair to say the two successful door knockers would have to have had a temple named in their honour.

I work a lot with a company based in Utah, they are nearly 100% Mormon. Not the polygamist types though.

Never once proselytized to me, but if I ask questions about their beliefs they happily answer them. Whenever the Mormons come knocking I’ll always chat to them , they are normally young men far away from home and always very polite. Once they know I know about Mormonism they don’t try and preach and are happy to talk to someone who knows about where they come from. The missionary requirements those young blokes do sure makes them grow up fast. Certainly character building.

The JW’s that come to the door, usually with little kids in tow, are another story, ■■■■ me to tears.

Quoted Post

I work a lot with a company based in Utah, they are nearly 100% Mormon. Not the polygamist types though.

Never once proselytized to me, but if I ask questions about their beliefs they happily answer them. Whenever the Mormons come knocking I’ll always chat to them , they are normally young men far away from home and always very polite. Once they know I know about Mormonism they don’t try and preach and are happy to talk to someone who knows about where they come from. The missionary requirements those young blokes do sure makes them grow up fast. Certainly character building.

The JW’s that come to the door, usually with little kids in tow, are another story, ■■■■ me to tears.

For me it’s the entire concept of knocking on the door of a complete stranger and then proceeding to tell them that they, the door knockers, know better than the stranger, how the stranger should live their life.
Absolutely bizarre. I wouldn’t even tell my best friend how they should live their life, but a complete stranger that you know nothing about?
As I said previously it’s insulting, and it’s presumptuous.