Welcome Home Harvs?

Great. A spud. Just what we ******* need. May as well have just given "Wallet" the job.

I disagree, i thought he did an okay job at Freo, also I dont think he had an opportunity to show his worth. I belive the Dockers said at the time, he was only let go because Lyon was available.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.

Goodwin seems bound for Brisbane which some say is a good thing as Goodwin was a part of "the not a good look, club" both at Adelaide and Essendon.  It is time for a changing of the guard and for us at the EFC to clean up our act.

The only "good look" for EFC according to much of the footy public is the bottom of the ladder for the next 10 years. I for one could not care less how we look any more. Put it this way, if Bashar Al-Assad could get us a flag then I'd have him as coach.

Great. A spud. Just what we ******* need. May as well have just given "Wallet" the job.

I disagree, i thought he did an okay job at Freo, also I dont think he had an opportunity to show his worth. I belive the Dockers said at the time, he was only let go because Lyon was available.
From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.
He did a rebuild with Mark Johnson and Solly and a Carr (did they also get John Barnes as an assistant?). Then that failed, miserably, so they stopped letting him have any say at all, from then on they went OK.
Fair to say he learnt off Sheedy.
4 years and a bit, 1 finals win, 40%, meh.
I think Solly was ok for them, in particular when you consider it was in a time when they lost a lot of players with experience, furthermore I think Connolly got him to the club. Anyway every club has one or two bad trades etc., however to be fair let‘s see who he brought into the club and who he developed over those years. Some are playing at other clubs at the moment, however a very large bulk are playing this weekend. Those with asterisk played finals under Harvey.
I don‘t think Harvs gets enough credit for the foundations he set in place at Freo.
Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*
Sure, half their current side played under a guy who was there 2 years ago. Good point.
Freo stopped letting him have any say in recruitment after his 2nd or 3rd year. They got Lloyd in and he was the brains behind recruitment.
Johnson was there in 2004, and I'm not entirely sure why you're including guys who've either never gotten a kick, or left, as being successes.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.
He did a rebuild with Mark Johnson and Solly and a Carr (did they also get John Barnes as an assistant?). Then that failed, miserably, so they stopped letting him have any say at all, from then on they went OK.

I think Solly was ok for them, in particular when you consider it was in a time when they lost a lot of players with experience, furthermore I think Connolly got him to the club. Anyway every club has one or two bad trades etc., however to be fair let‘s see who he brought into the club and who he developed over those years. Some are playing at other clubs at the moment, however a very large bulk are playing this weekend. Those with asterisk played finals under Harvey.

I don‘t think Harvs gets enough credit for the foundations he set in place at Freo.

Palmer

Mayne*

Johnson*

Hill*

Suban*

Ballantyne

Clarke

Walters*

De Boer*

Pearce

VanBerlo

Broughton*

Morabito*

Fyfe*

Roberton*

Barlow

Silvagni*

And I agree, he did okay there at a club who minus the off field problems was for years effectively like another St Kilda.

There are better coaches than Harvey out of work (some, who've since been snapped up at other clubs) who may've been able to step in after Round 23 but he is just a better fit and I feel for 22+ rounds we'll have to go with that. Goodwin would've been an optimum but now I feel it has to be Bomba hopefully remaining as the consistent in the background re. gameplan. He and Harvey I'm sure can work together. He's not Norm Smith but no chump either.

As I've said this is not a straightforward, open the chequebook and get the best in the land appointment. It's as much about fit and remembering who the actual coach is of Essendon, with an extended contract.

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*
Sure, half their current side played under a guy who was there 2 years ago. Good point.
Freo stopped letting him have any say in recruitment after his 2nd or 3rd year. They got Lloyd in and he was the brains behind recruitment.
Johnson was there in 2004, and I'm not entirely sure why you're including guys who've either never gotten a kick, or left, as being successes.

Puhhhh……lease. Do you really think the Coach didn‘t have a say in the recruiting direction, then subsequently the development of these players? I guess if he didn‘t have input, nor involvement in the direction of the recruiting team, I guess the assistants developed and coached them into the finals as well?

There is no doubt when Brad joined them, there recruiting lifted from amateur to elite, however Brad was brought in by Harvs in 2008, at the start of his first full season in charge. So your insinuation that the club brought him in to stop Harvs is farcical.

Harvey deserves a lot more credit for the foundations he built within Freo.

As for the names, I went through what I remembered, I think I did a pretty good job without going through the drafts one by one.

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*

I'm not sure why Harvey's record re recruitment is very relevant here. Assuming Hird is coming back in a year, wouldn't the stand in coach's role be all about game day strategies, tactics, training, communicating with (current) players etc (presumably informed by Thompson)?

As long as Kepler Bradley isn't brought back as the "steak knives".

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*

I'm not sure why Harvey's record re recruitment is very relevant here. Assuming Hird is coming back in a year, wouldn't the stand in coach's role be all about game day strategies, tactics, training, communicating with (current) players etc (presumably informed by Thompson)?

The insinuation he was a terrible coach because he brought in Solly, Carr Etc....

I agree, this is not the key lever we need, I believe we need an experienced coach who is willing to fill a role for 12 months and then step aside and stay on as an assistance.

I think Harvey proved himself as a coach who was able to develop and improve players. I don‘t think he is an extraordinary match day coach, however I do think he is at the same level with most coaches.

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*

The insinuation he was a terrible coach because he brought in Solly, Carr Etc....

I agree, this is not the key lever we need, I believe we need an experienced coach who is willing to fill a role for 12 months and then step aside and stay on as an assistance.

I think Harvey proved himself as a coach who was able to develop and improve players. I don‘t think he is an extraordinary match day coach, however I do think he is at the same level with most coaches.

Get on the phone to super tactician Dean Laidley...actually, he probably doesn't have a working phone.

Well I for one would love it if Harvs was senior coach for the year.  The recruiting stuff has absolutely nothing to do with this scenario, he won't be involved in the recruiting process regarding any choices made.

Harvs would bring something missing in our play, something Brisbane showed us when they played us earlier this year; a bit of Sheedy mongrel.

Sure, they went overboard that day, and lost a few to suspension, but the point is, we're fairly soft, and we could do with some of our blokes putting the frighteners into some of the blokes at other teams.

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*
Harvey's relevant to Freo's current success in the same way Schwab is relevant to Hawthorn's. He got em Buddy Hodge Mitchell Roughead etc.

Harvs would bring something missing in our play, something Brisbane showed us when they played us earlier this year; a bit of Sheedy mongrel.

Sure, they went overboard that day, and lost a few to suspension, but the point is, we're fairly soft, and we could do with some of our blokes putting the frighteners into some of the blokes at other teams.

Have to agree with that.

Have to agree with that.

Me too, but at what cost? The match review mob isn't generally very kind to us and I don't expect that to change

Palmer
Mayne*
Johnson*
Hill*
Suban*
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters*
De Boer*
Pearce
VanBerlo
Broughton*
Morabito*
Fyfe*
Roberton*
Barlow
Silvagni*
Harvey's relevant to Freo's current success in the same way Schwab is relevant to Hawthorn's. He got em Buddy Hodge Mitchell Roughead etc.

OK, but just in case you missed the point, I'm suggesting that the circumstances are very different here - we're not after input into recruiting and list management, so Harvey's record on that with Freo isn't really relevant.

Have to agree with that.

Me too, but at what cost? The match review mob isn't generally very kind to us and I don't expect that to change

Very true. But I'd like to see guys like Myers, Pears, Watson, Hooker etc make use of their size and strength. Run through the odd bloke, lay tackles that hurt, that sort of thing.

Have to agree with that.

yep. gotta be smart about it.

mrp wasnt too kind to bris that day either.

Have to agree with that.

Very true. But I'd like to see guys like Myers, Pears, Watson, Hooker etc make use of their size and strength. Run through the odd bloke, lay tackles that hurt, that sort of thing.

Oh, you mean monster them. OK, cool!

I disagree Mero. I reckon the boys know they can handle themselves and do it at the footy. I think they are quite confident about it.

The Swans are the team to copy and its all at the footy.

Running through people just gets you weeks.

I think we do it just right and we are not intimidated by anyone.

Harves would complement the coaching panel well.  

Can still remember the days when "young" Harvey left me gobsmacked . How he didn't get killed I don't know , such was his desperation and desire for the contest .   

Have to agree with that.

Ah, yes boot, back to the good old days.  Add Kommer into that lot.