šŸŽ‰ Welcome to discourse.bomberblitz.com

Because I want to see the actual link itself, and not what Discourse decides to show, such as this:

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/categories

If I want to drop the link onto my bookmarks toolbar, Iā€™d rather see it, so I can highlight it and then copy and paste it. I realise that the full link is behind the text provided by Discourse but Iā€™d rather see the full text up front. Why does it show ā€œdiscourse dot bomberblitz dot comā€ in the text and only add the important part ā€œ/categoriesā€ in the hidden text of the link ?

Thereā€™s a control-freak aspect to Discourse, just like many other modern browser apps. Thatā€™s why I prefer the older ones with their uncool interfaces ā€” they let you get on with business, without forcing you into the way their coders think you should go.

Some aspects of the new site are really good, others will take a bit of getting used to, others again Iā€™ll never like.

Getting rid of all the nested quotations is fantastic: it will save a lot of time that was wasted trying to scroll down through 100 lines of text to finally get to the new post (often no more than a one-word insult); it will also save a helluva lot of bandwidth !

Iā€™d prefer to have pages back though; I donā€™t like the new scrollbar on the RH sideā€” for me itā€™s a waste of space ā€” but Iā€™m on a MacBook Pro: it is probably ver handy for users of iPads.
It would be a big help if you allowed us to decide in Preferences which page weā€™d like to have as our default home page, btw. My Bookmarks Toolbar work-around doesnā€™t work if you click on the logo at top left, for example.

???

Yes, barnz ā€” I know that! But itā€™s not permanently visible: it only appears bottom left when you hold your mouse over the main text, so you canā€™t copy it to your clipboard, because you need the mouse for that as well.

Okay, right click, choose ā€œCopy Link Locationā€ from the menu ā€” too much too muchā€¦ The point is if youā€™re going to show the link in the text above the logo, it should be the whole link, not just the master part.

Has anyone else lost their access to the sponsor thread for those who put down to be sponsors and it contained all the details of how to pay?

I want to pay, but although I had access under the old thread, it doesnā€™t seem to be accessible (visible) for me on the new Blitz. Iā€™ve PMā€™d Koala, she said she would try to tag me in again, but to no avail.

If you use the Insert Hyperlink button and enter anything in the Optional Title you get a simple link. In this case I pasted the URL twice.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-27/breakout-stars-the-players-tip-the-five-most-likely-to-explode-in-2017

Definitley agree re - the avatars. They need to be bigger, even vanilla was too small but this is smaller. Bigger avatars would help break up all the whiteness. You want to know youā€™re talking to people not random white boxes.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible but I did like the old black sidebar down the right that helped break up the whiteness of everything, or perhaps it can be down the left side.

There are aspects I like of this forum, I do like the live updates and stuff. Iā€™m sure Riolio will get it right if we give him a few weeks, itā€™s hard to expect perfection right off the bat.

I agree re: avatars just because thereā€™s a fair bit of white space. Not because you have to use all white space, but small extension gives avatars more prominence. For those of us who spend too much time on here, you develop a sort of subconscious association with peopleā€™s avatars.

2 Likes

I agree with your sentiment. Maybe I am just getting old, but I dont see the need to have badges or statements like ā€˜eliteā€™ next to a nameā€¦I mean just because I cannot afford to donate money to a cause or sponser a player, why should people like myself be different and not be able to have titles? I reckon if you are going to have badges ones like ā€˜Rookieā€™ or ā€˜Veteranā€™ where everyone gets a chance to achieve it is the way to go.

1 Like

How about ā€˜non-eliteā€™?

Joking!!!

Only if VD comes back

1 Like

How do you press send on the inline PM when using an iPad?

interesting thing with the title, I switched it on and off previously (I was regular, it looked like it was based off trust level which you earn) after the tweaks it was showing elite but after going in and selecting it again that has disappeared for me.

Also the name was showing up as a title now itā€™s gone. Iā€™m assuming this was a new tweak also.

Hi Rolo

The system logs me out every 5 minutes if I access it via MBA, but all day is OK via Mac Pro. On Mac Pro, the ā€œicon linkā€ does not work so the only way to get back to the list of topics is to click in the URL space and hit reload.

Also I canā€™t see how to make a post without ā€œreplyingā€ to someone. That is why I am replying to you when it is not relevant to your commentā€¦

Edit: AFTER I posted this, the general ā€œreplyā€ became availableā€¦

Guys the avatars on Vanilla were three pixels larger.

Three.

Three

4 Likes

Try adding it as code!

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com

ā€¦or do what @theDJR said

:smiley:

And honestly, ā€¦ if you zoom your browser to 110%, ā€¦ they actually appear larger, ā€¦ & CLEARER, than they did on Vanilla. (When Vanilla was at 110%)

pixilated :blush:

Also why is whitespace bad? Perhaps I could fill it with ads or gifs or pictures of Gillon McLachlan.

3 Likes

Or, for the mathematically-inclined, 279 pixels bigger.

(I think there is some merit to enlarging desktop icons, but not if it then also has to be done in mobile mode.)

Side note: forum software strips multiple blank or near-blank lines.

Is there a way to get back the ā€œrolling upā€ of nested replies like in Vanilla Blitz?
I really liked that feature!