Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Thanks for introducing yourselves, and standing for election to the Board of the best Club in Australia!

In my view, we have been scapegoated unfairly by the AFL. So the key issues to me are:

1) if the AFL engineers bans for the players, a la the NRL, would your position on the Board be to accept these or will you fight them all the way to the High Court if necessary?

2) would you work to get compensation for the draft picks we have been stripped of?

Thanks for the questions! 

As I said above, it is hard to comment on this type of thing as I only have as much information as what has been been released publicly. 

1. I don't think we should be taking any pleas if we have the evidence & belief we did nothing illegal. Why get tarnished - more so - with this brush if we are innocent. For the sake of ASADA's reputation? No thanks. 

2. That's a great question! I think it's definitely something that should be looked at. I'm not sure what compensation could be sought, but it's definitely something that needs to be looked at. 

Thanks for your questions. 

Obviously everyone will focus on ASADA stuff, but reckon you can push to get back to the MCG?

I do love the intimate feel of Etihad, & it feels great when it's packed with the bomber army - but yes, I do think we deserve more games on the hallowed turf. 

Perhaps if we add another 10k+ members we might have a very strong case.... 

How do you guys feel about our home ground and clash jumpers?

Do you feel you are well connected in the Melbourne business and media community?

Will you veto any moves for flash mobs or Jennifer Lopez songs to be played after every goal?

Questions for both of you -

1. what do you think of the connection between players being found guilty and Hird no longer being the coach? ie if the AFL Tribunal finds us guilty based on currently available evidence and we still believe we are not guilty, some form of ban applies (maybe just symbolic), do you think it follows that Hird must be removed as coach?

2. what was your view of how the Board 'managed' Hird since his return from suspension, specifically 1. not allowing him to have any match or training involvement; 2. not allowing him to speak to members; 3. being told not to attend the B&F?

3. what do you think will be the key differences (if any) between being a board member for a business organisation versus being on the board of an AFL footy club?

Thanks for introducing yourselves, and standing for election to the Board of the best Club in Australia!

In my view, we have been scapegoated unfairly by the AFL. So the key issues to me are:

1) if the AFL engineers bans for the players, a la the NRL, would your position on the Board be to accept these or will you fight them all the way to the High Court if necessary?

2) would you work to get compensation for the draft picks that were stolen from us?

Thanks for asking your questions - 

1) I believe any acceptance of bans  offered by the AFL would be entirely up to the players indivdually, I don't think the club or its board have any say in the acceptance or not of any bans - hope I'm understanding your question properly there.

2) Unfortunately I believe that would be very difficult due to the club accepting those penalties as part of its settlement for governance breaches.  While I, like everyone else, am bleeding that we've lost 3 first and second round picks out of the saga it was a decision the club took at the time and I believe would be almost impossible to undo.  That's a difficult hypothetical to answer though because it doesn't appear to me the Board has any ambition to overthrow those penalties, but then I'm on the outside like everyone else so I don't know whether that is the case.

Sorry I can't be more definitive on that hypothetical, it's just a difficult one without knowing if it were possible.  Thanks again for asking!

Where do you feel the current board are underpreforming and what would you do to improve it?

Do you feel you are well connected in the Melbourne business and media community?

Will you veto any moves for flash mobs or Jennifer Lopez songs to be played after every goal?

Man you guys are on fire! 

- I am not a huge fan of the grey 'pyjama' away jumper, though I do love the legacy it has printed on it. Part of being such an amazing & old club is not having a 'classic' jumper to fall back on - red & black never goes out of style. Personally, I don't like to see our jumper change at all. 

I think we are connected, but I think we could be doing better. Reaching out to the Essendon supporting business & media community & growing a real sense of family around the club is something I believe really strongly in. We are all connected to the club in such a strong way, but I don't believe the club is using this to it's full advantage. I want the club to be known publicly for more than it's last 24 months. 

Flash mobs? I'm sorry EFC, I love you dearly, but that flash mob at fed square was not good. At all.

I actually really love the way - & don't crucify me here - the A-League active supporters go about things. The way the fan groups band together at games. I feel like we are starting to bring that into the club in a really big way. 

It's something i REALLY admire about Fogdog & the Blitz  community. The #StandByHird & #BackOurBoys campaigns were absolutely brilliant, & I really hope you keep organising them (& I'll keep silently throwing money in). 

Thank you both for taking the time to introduce yourself to blitz.  I think its really important for us members to get to know who we are voting for & have people who truly represent us.  I'll admit in the past I've not taken my voting rights seriously but I will now & I want my vote to go to someone who will fight like I have for our club, players & coach.

Obviously everyone will focus on ASADA stuff, but reckon you can push to get back to the MCG?

I think Etihad is great for those games where the Club would be hoping for 30-50k, but yes I'm definitely a fan of the 'G and from a pure footy point of view would prefer we played some more games there.  

Thanks for answering my questions. Really appreciate it.

A few more questions if you don’t mind. Some are a bit hard to answer as you don’t have all the behind the scenes facts etc. more asking the questions about your opinion as a fellow supporter

Did you agree with Hird appealing the verdict?

How would you improve our match day atmosphere?

Do you agree with an automatic donation to the flight plan when renewing your membership, to get out of it you have to specifically say so.

If you found out a fellow board member was leaking to the media what would you do?

When Sheedy didnt get his contract renewed in 2007 did you think it was the right or wrong thing to do? How would you of handled it

How do you think david evans will be remembered by the club in the future? This is a delicate question so you don’t have to answer it?

Really happy to have this thread too! Much thanks to Katie and Paul.

I too have pretty much made up my mind to vote for you both.

Q: Are you standing together on the one ticket?

Q: Do you have a support team behind you, if so who are they?

I think it is important to know the people behind the candidates, if there are any, because it gives a much clearer picture of what they stand for.

.... I would be fascinated to have a truthful answer to this from gauci&cunningham - and the other candidates for that matter!

Catherine and Paul,

During this very difficult time, I  believe the Members and Supporters of this great club have more or less been treated like mushrooms.  I realise in the day to day running of the club, there are some things that are on a need to know basis however in the past 12 months or so there have been, what many of us consider to be absolute blunders by the Board.  

1. What I want to know is, will you fight for what you know to be right for the staff and players and that may not be necessarily be what the AFL wants to enforce via their back door methods? 

2. If the pair of you are voted onto the Board, will you everything in your power to help make this club become great again, even if it means going against what others on the Board may want?

3.  James Hird is the Coach, he and the players need to know they have your support, can you offer them your unequivocally support?

4.  There must be absolutely no leaks from the Board to the detriment of the EFC, players and staff, do you agree?

Thank you for your time,

mdso

1. what do you think of the connection between players being found guilty and Hird no longer being the coach? ie if the AFL Tribunal finds us guilty based on currently available evidence and we still believe we are not guilty, some form of ban applies (maybe just symbolic), do you think it follows that Hird must be removed as coach?

2. what was your view of how the Board 'managed' Hird since his return from suspension, specifically 1. not allowing him to have any match or training involvement; 2. not allowing him to speak to members; 3. being told not to attend the B&F?

3. what do you think will be the key differences (if any) between being a board member for a business organisation versus being on the board of an AFL footy club?

1. You know, this is a question I was hoping someone would ask. 

Obviously, as I have said above, I only have the evidence that has been released to the public, but I absolutely cannot fathom how a man who explicitly requests that the program fly on the edge, but never step over the line of WADA rules is made 100% accountable for the program. 

Now, there may be things I don't know, but I'm not sure giving in to media pressure is the right way to go. Our club needs stability. The players seem to have made it quite clear that they want Hird as their coach. It does not make any sense, in my mind, to remove him. 

2. I'm not privy to what when on in those days, so all I can tell you was how I felt at the Crichton when we realised that James would not be in attendance. It was an awful feeling. Sick even. I don't think it was handled well at all. In fact, I was with a member who had a quiet word to Paul Little about James & how he was treated that night. 

3. In my opinion, the difference between being on a board for an AFL club comes down to one thing: You must not choose revenue over the values of your customers & shareholders. The customers being your staff & players. A club is a business, it must be profitable - but it should also be run like a small family business, where everyone has a right to an opinion. This, above all, is why I felt it necessary to nominate. We all deserve to have a voice. 

2) would you work to get compensation for the draft picks that were stolen from us?

Thanks for asking your questions - 

1) I believe any acceptance of bans  offered by the AFL would be entirely up to the players indivdually, I don't think the club or its board have any say in the acceptance or not of any bans - hope I'm understanding your question properly there.

2) Unfortunately I believe that would be very difficult due to the club accepting those penalties as part of its settlement for governance breaches.  While I, like everyone else, am bleeding that we've lost 3 first and second round picks out of the saga it was a decision the club took at the time and I believe would be almost impossible to undo.  That's a difficult hypothetical to answer though because it doesn't appear to me the Board has any ambition to overthrow those penalties, but then I'm on the outside like everyone else so I don't know whether that is the case.

Sorry I can't be more definitive on that hypothetical, it's just a difficult one without knowing if it were possible.  Thanks again for asking!

Let's not forget Paul, ZERRETT! 

Can't complain too much about that.. :) 

Are either of you half back flankers who can push into the midfield?

Who do you think we will / should pick up in the draft?

1.  I hate clash jumpers, hate them.  That said, if we have to have one (which we do) I don't mind ours.  Obviously the black had to change and the grey is pretty inoffensive.

2.  I do, one thing it seems that has held up has been sponsorship and corporate support, though of course its difficult to know without being inside.  As for the media, there are two very distinct positions that have been taken on the saga as everyone knows, but after the initial onslaught there was a group of journos such as Chip Le Grand, Tracey Holmes, Robbo, Grant Baker, Rohan Connolly, Mick Warner and some others who have been more sympathetic to the club, some through being Essendon fans perhaps but not all.

3.  Yes, absolutely yes, in the strongest possible terms yes.

I think Etihad is great for those games where the Club would be hoping for 30-50k, but yes I'm definitely a fan of the 'G and from a pure footy point of view would prefer we played some more games there.  

I think you both have not understood what abers13 was asking (or maybe I haven't!).

He means moving back to the MCG as our HOME GROUND. (We realise there is currently a contractual arrangement but we have seen with Patrick Ryder how the AFL feels about contracts).

Its great that you love the club, and want to act as a intermediary between the board and the common folk, but dont all board members?
What makes you both ideal candidates?

What unique skillsets do you bring to the table?

Further, will you be introducing yourselves to any other online forum, or is Blitz the only one?

1. You know, this is a question I was hoping someone would ask. 

Obviously, as I have said above, I only have the evidence that has been released to the public, but I absolutely cannot fathom how a man who explicitly requests that the program fly on the edge, but never step over the line of WADA rules is made 100% accountable for the program. 

Now, there may be things I don't know, but I'm not sure giving in to media pressure is the right way to go. Our club needs stability. The players seem to have made it quite clear that they want Hird as their coach. It does not make any sense, in my mind, to remove him. 

2. I'm not privy to what when on in those days, so all I can tell you was how I felt at the Crichton when we realised that James would not be in attendance. It was an awful feeling. Sick even. I don't think it was handled well at all. In fact, I was with a member who had a quiet word to Paul Little about James & how he was treated that night. 

3. In my opinion, the difference between being on a board for an AFL club comes down to one thing: You must not choose revenue over the values of your customers & shareholders. The customers being your staff & players. A club is a business, it must be profitable - but it should also be run like a small family business, where everyone has a right to an opinion. This, above all, is why I felt it necessary to nominate. We all deserve to have a voice. 

oh dear...I think I'm in love :wub:  (again).

1.  I don't.  If there were some new damning evidence that came to light of course that could change, but I don't think it automatically follows that if players receive any ban the coach must be sacked, based on what we currently know about Hird's actions during 2011-12.  I believe some in the media have been running that campaign for a while now so that they can demand it (again) if bans arise.

2.  I'll be honest, I hated the decision to keep Hird out of the box on matchday and away from training.  Bomber should have remained the coach for the remainder of 2014 imo, but it frustrated me no end that we made a decision seemingly based on what the media would do if we made a different one.  After all the club rate James highly enough that he's our coach going forward, surely he could have given some insight in the box during a finals campaign?  None of these decisions are simple, but I didn't agree with that one.  I also didn't like him not attending the B&F, but am unsure of the exact details behind that one so shouldn't comment too much on it.

3.  The passion of its constituents  :)

Thanks for the questions!