Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Thanks for answering my questions. Really appreciate it.
A few more questions if you don't mind. Some are a bit hard to answer as you don't have all the behind the scenes facts etc. more asking the questions about your opinion as a fellow supporter
Did you agree with Hird appealing the verdict?
How would you improve our match day atmosphere?
Do you agree with an automatic donation to the flight plan when renewing your membership, to get out of it you have to specifically say so.
If you found out a fellow board member was leaking to the media what would you do?
When Sheedy didnt get his contract renewed in 2007 did you think it was the right or wrong thing to do? How would you of handled it
How do you think david evans will be remembered by the club in the future? This is a delicate question so you don't have to answer it?

I absolutely, 100% believe that if James Hird's legal team advised him to appeal, he absolutely should have appealed. Good luck to him - I think we can all see how mishandled the whole investigation was from a non legal point of view. 

As I said above, I really like the idea of grass root supporter activities at games. The Blitz campaigns have been great over the last 24 months, & I think there is an opportunity for the club to help nurture these activities while leaving them in the hands of the supporters.

The automatic donation is a contentious one, I know. I personally do not mind the idea, but I can understand how it does upset others. I think perhaps the mechanism to opt out needs to be easier or communicated more clearly. 

I would have to look into the bylaws of the board, but I can tell you right now, I would not be discussing anything with any leaking board members, & I would be having a quiet word with the other directors. It's unacceptable & completely unprofessional. 

I think the club definitely could have handled Sheedy's departure with more grace. He is a legend of a club, & still bleeds red & black. I don't think much the club did with the coaching department from 2007 - 2010 was very smart though. 

I think I might take a merciful pass on the David Evans question, but I will say this - I do think he had the players best interests in mind. 

Everyone else is asking questions about the ASADA stuff, so I'll focus on some other things...

What is your stance on the amount of revenue EFC gets from poker machine revenue?  Does EFC, in your opinion, have sufficient safeguards in place to alleviate or treat problem gambling in EFCs poker machine venues?  Some AFL clubs (EFC has refused to confirm or deny that they are one) claim the wages they pay to the staff at their poker machine venues as 'community development contributions' - do you believe this is acceptable?  If you believe EFC should reduce their reliance on poker machines for revenue (via divestment, tighter loss limits, or whatever) how do you intend to replace the revenue stream?

What do you see as the board's role in list management decisions?  Would you ever seek to overrule the football department (or elements of the football department) on a draft, trade, free agency or delistment decision, and if so, under what circumstances?

What experience do you have in managing/overseeing large organisations (multiple hundred staff)?

This is a bit broad, but what in your opinion should be the proper relationship between the AFL and EFC?  Obviously over the past few years power has increasingly centralised with the AFL, to the point of them taking over club websites, dictating clash jumpers etc, accrediting everyone under the sun, disbursing or withholding funds at will, coming very close to physically owning EFCs home ground, and increasingly centralising or dictating media coverage.  What are your views on the relationship between the AFL and the clubs as dictated in the AFL licence?  Is further centralisation desirable, but if not, how can it be stopped or reversed given the powers the AFL has already accumulated and the fact that many clubs are already completely reliant on AFL funds for their survival?  Conversely, if decentralisation is desirable, how can rich clubs be prevented from dominating the competition?  Where should the boundaries be between club and AFL, and how can these boundaries be enforced?

If Scott Gumbleton falls over in a forest when there's nobody there to hear, does his hamstring still go 'twang'?

Given you are a people's ticket, ie non industry or not from a specific commercial background you will be targeted for your vote on certain things. There will be a lot of pressure on you to make decisions which align with influences.

Have you thought about how you will deal with that pressure as it will seem easy now but things can change/ What strategies do you have to negotiate this? 

Catherine, Paul, you’re both magnificent candidates.

What are your thoughts on the fact that The Scum won three wooden spoons then wasted their resulting draft picks on the likes of Bryce “The Squib” Gibbs, Matthew “Racehorse” Kreuzer and Marc “Backpedal” Murphy, resulting in them being a complete basket case?

No need to answer, I just wanted to post that for the hell of it. Good luck.

Catherine and Paul,

During this very difficult time, I  believe the Members and Supporters of this great club have more or less been treated like mushrooms.  I realise in the day to day running of the club, there are some things that are on a need to know basis however in the past 12 months or so there have been, what many of us consider to be absolute blunders by the Board.  

1. What I want to know is, will you fight for what you know to be right for the staff and players and that may not be necessarily be what the AFL wants to enforce via their back door methods? 

2. If the pair of you are voted onto the Board, will you everything in your power to help make this club become great again, even if it means going against what others on the Board may want?

3.  James Hird is the Coach, he and the players need to know they have your support, can you offer them your unequivocally support?

4.  There must be absolutely no leaks from the Board to the detriment of the EFC, players and staff, do you agree?

Thank you for your time,

mdso

1. Absolutely 100% yes. What is right for the club is what the players & members want - not what an external body believes should be. No ifs or buts. 

2. I think it's safe to say the only reason i am running is to ensure the club REMAINS GREAT. I don't believe we need to be 'great again'. We had 60,000 members come out in pride this year to declare that they love their club through the good times & the bad. I have had Collingwood supporters declare their admiration for our supporter base. We are unique & strong. We are only getting stronger. 

3. 100%. Absolutely, without falter. 

4. I feel like you & I might be on the same page, mdso. Absolutely. The board should be like Fight Club. With less fighting. 

Good stuff Katie and Paul.

You have my vote

Question - how would you vote in a Board decision to pay part of, or all of, Thompson’s $30K fine - and why ?

Are either of you half back flankers who can push into the midfield?
Who do you think we will / should pick up in the draft?

I think I will leave that one to the very capable recruitment staff :)

Though another young midfield superstar wouldn't go astray. 

WeetBix?  Or VitaBrits?

Serious question ...

.... I need to know who you both really are

Thankyou to you both.

What an horrendous time we have been through and I truly thank you for taking on this task.

You both sound well in-tune with what many of us think and feel; given what we know.

I would just ask for transparency as much as possible. 

The old "When the truth comes out" has never come to fruition, so I for one, would be grateful for honesty and a bit of strength of character from the board. 

Thanks again.....you are to me the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thanks for answering my questions. Really appreciate it.
A few more questions if you don't mind. Some are a bit hard to answer as you don't have all the behind the scenes facts etc. more asking the questions about your opinion as a fellow supporter
Did you agree with Hird appealing the verdict?
How would you improve our match day atmosphere?
Do you agree with an automatic donation to the flight plan when renewing your membership, to get out of it you have to specifically say so.
If you found out a fellow board member was leaking to the media what would you do?
When Sheedy didnt get his contract renewed in 2007 did you think it was the right or wrong thing to do? How would you of handled it
How do you think david evans will be remembered by the club in the future? This is a delicate question so you don't have to answer it?

I think it was Hird's absolute right to appeal the verdict, if he was given legal advice that he could win an appeal then attempting to deny him his legal right is not something I would have done.  My understanding is the club strongly considered appealing as well, difficult to then suggest Hird shouldn't if he chose to.

Tricky one, I'm a bit old school in that I love the footy for the footy rather than the 'extras', music after goals and countdown clocks and things aren't necessarily my cup of tea!

I'm a member and the donation doesn't bother me, but I understand why it might bother some.  My view is that the club need the money or they wouldn't ask, if I can afford it I'll donate, otherwise I'll opt out.  I take your point on the fact that the default is to 'donate' rather than not, but I'm OK with it personally.  I'd be open to suggestion from members on whether it should be default 'on' or 'off', if that makes sense.

Tricky hypothetical.  Leaks can be hugely damaging to a club and I couldn't feel more strongly that they must not go on, but the specifics of how to deal with it would depend on the situation.  Approach the board member directly would be my first thought, then the channels through the Chairman if necessary.

I love Sheeds and everything he did for our club, but yes I personally thought it was time for a new chapter as I felt the team had grown somewhat stale over those last few years.  The specifics of what went on at board level are a mystery to me, but personally I would have preferred to keep in at the club in some capacity if that were possible.  Sheeds is a great Essendon man, I hope we get to see him in red and black again one day soon.

Hi Catherine and Paul.

What are your views on how the club has managed itself publicly and through the media. I personally have been disappointed and believe way too much dirty laundry has been aired (or dare I say leaked) when not necessary or at inappropriate times.

Would this be something you might raise to push to change?

Guys sadly I have to go for a little while but please keep the questions coming and I promise I'll answer as many as I possibly can!  I'll be checking back in on this thread later tonight and as often as possible going forward.

Again really appreciate the opportunity, as much as anything else it's great to just talk about the Bombers with passionate Essendon people!

Everyone else is asking questions about the ASADA stuff, so I'll focus on some other things...

What is your stance on the amount of revenue EFC gets from poker machine revenue?  Does EFC, in your opinion, have sufficient safeguards in place to alleviate or treat problem gambling in EFCs poker machine venues?  Some AFL clubs (EFC has refused to confirm or deny that they are one) claim the wages they pay to the staff at their poker machine venues as 'community development contributions' - do you believe this is acceptable?  If you believe EFC should reduce their reliance on poker machines for revenue (via divestment, tighter loss limits, or whatever) how do you intend to replace the revenue stream?

What do you see as the board's role in list management decisions?  Would you ever seek to overrule the football department (or elements of the football) department on a draft, trade, free agency or delistment decision, and if so, under what circumstances?

What experience do you have in managing/overseeing large organisations (multiple hundred staff)?

This is a bit broad, but what in your opinion should be the proper relationship between the AFL and EFC?  Obviously over the past few years power has increasingly centralised with the AFL, to the point of them taking over club websites, dictating clash jumpers etc, accrediting everyone under the sun, disbursing or withholding funds at will, coming very close to physically owning EFCs home ground, and increasingly centralising or dictating media coverage.  What are your views on the relationship between the AFL and the clubs as dictated in the AFL licence?  Is further centralisation desirable, but if not, how can it be stopped or reversed given the powers the AFL has already accumulated and the fact that many clubs are already completely reliant on AFL funds for their survival?  Conversely, if decentralisation is desirable, how can rich clubs be prevented from dominating the competition?  Where should the boundaries be between club and AFL, and how can these boundaries be enforced?

If Scott Gumbleton falls over in a forest when there's nobody there to hear, does his hamstring still go 'twang'?

Poor Gumby.. 

I am fairly anti-gambling on all levels to be honest. I don't like obtrusive betting margins while I'm watching sport, & I certainly don't want to be bombarded with the commercials every ad break. 

I think pokies do have a place in a clubs revenue stream, as long as a significant portion of that revenue is fed back into the local community - either through gambling prevention/rehabilitation programs, or youth sporting activities. I do not believe a club should be making more from pokies than it is giving back to the community. 

I find it abhorrent that clubs would claim wages as community give back schemes. 

I personally don't think the board should have any say in list management. Unless expressly requested from the football department, the board hires experts in their field to make these decisions. 

My work in organising events, programs & experience in project management give me the skills required to oversee, with the help of the other expert board members, the goings on of the football club. My skills & expertise lay in communications & digital - I think this is an area that the AFL has not quite caught up with the industry in. Yet. If you're more interested in my experience you can peruse my LinkedIn profile or email me on [email protected]

Now THAT'S a tough one. I think the last 24 months have shone a light on the appropriate relationship between the AFL & many clubs - not just our own - & I believe that is something that must be rectified for the good of the sport. I don't think I have all the answers there, but I hope to be able to dig further into what is possible around that club/AFL relationship looks like in the future. 

Thanks for your questions! 

Iced or jam?

Thoughts on Windy Hill? Personally believe it needs to be targeted as like a museum for our club and the club should keep as large a presence as possible there and in the general area. 

Given you are a people's ticket, ie non industry or not from a specific commercial background you will be targeted for your vote on certain things. There will be a lot of pressure on you to make decisions which align with influences.

Have you thought about how you will deal with that pressure as it will seem easy now but things can change/ What strategies do you have to negotiate this? 

Thanks for the question Dapto! 

One of the hardest decisions I made in the lead up to nomination centred around my commitment to my beliefs & the beliefs of the members. 

For years I have felt helpless in board votes, knowing who we should not be voting for, but knowing that our opinions may not be heard on the important things. 

Tackling pressure is something that comes naturally to me - I work in a hectic & ever changing environment, & I like to ensure that my voice is heard. That the opinions I hold are put on the table. 

This will be no different. 

I hope that answers your question. Thanks! 

Iced or jam?

If I may answer for both, cinnamon.

^^^ I knew it wouldn't take long for that question to come up.

Catherine, Paul, you're both magnificent candidates.
What are your thoughts on the fact that The Scum won three wooden spoons then wasted their resulting draft picks on the likes of Bryce "The Squib" Gibbs, Matthew "Racehorse" Kreuzer and Marc "Backpedal" Murphy, resulting in them being a complete basket case?
No need to answer, I just wanted to post that for the hell of it. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your kind words & also your complete demoralisation of that other club. 

Good stuff Katie and Paul.
You have my vote
Question - how would you vote in a Board decision to pay part of, or all of, Thompson's $30K fine - and why ?

A tricky one I think - & one that would have been dependent on a few variables. Were the other fines paid for by the club? Would it have made a difference to Bomba's decision? 

Thanks for the question!