Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Iced or jam?

BOTH. Choc Jam is the mightiest of the donut. 

Hi Catherine and Paul.
What are your views on how the club has managed itself publicly and through the media. I personally have been disappointed and believe way too much dirty laundry has been aired (or dare I say leaked) when not necessary or at inappropriate times.
Would this be something you might raise to push to change?

I couldn't agree more. I believe the club may have let the story get away for them for large parts of the last 24 months. Not to take away from the fantastic job that Justin Rodski has done - the man deserves a medal for what he has steered the club through in the media! 

Leaks from the club are unacceptable & unprofessional. This would definitely be something I would be looking into thoroughly.  

Thoughts on Windy Hill? Personally believe it needs to be targeted as like a museum for our club and the club should keep as large a presence as possible there and in the general area. 

I agree. It is, & always will be our spiritual home. It should definitely be preserved & VFL games should definitely still be played there.

UDL's should always be available. 

I remember being there at 3am in 93, in the social club, waiting for the grand final team to come back to the club. 

..They played 'We Are The Champions' so many times without the players ever turning up. It was magic. 

Were either of you a previous member of blitz?

Ok guys - that was excellent fun! I wish I could hang out with you guys & talk EFC all day. 

Unfortunately I'm going to have to jump offline now. 

Please keep your questions coming & I'll pop back in when I can. 

Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter @KadyLio & you can email me at [email protected]

GO DONS. 

Yes. But I'll never tell..... 

Seeing as though one of your intentions is focussed around representing the average supporters in club decisions and club direction, if you get elected, what are your strategies for engaging with said supporters and members?

How will you pick and choose what to take back to the board?

Yes. But I'll never tell..... 

bomberdomination18?

patrickbombers.

Great introductory posts Catherine and Paul. Your answers are very detailed and much appreciated.

Few questions:

• Do you think our membership tally can reach 65-70k in 2015 despite a small minority NOT wanting Hird as coach?

-Regarding the Bomber situation, who was at fault: Bomber himself or do you think the current board handled it poorly?
  • Finally, a footy question: where do you see the club heading on-field? Is our list good enough to hit top 4 despite losing Ryder? Or are you full LID OFF and just go for the flag?! :lol:

Can either of you tell me your position on possibly instructing the club to draft Anthony Tipungwuti?

My Q's weren't answered, so I thought I would ask again:

Really happy to have this thread too! Much thanks to Katie and Paul.

I too have pretty much made up my mind to vote for you both.

Q: Are you standing together on the one ticket?

Q: Do you have a support team behind you, if so who are they?

I think it is important to know the people behind the candidates, if there are any, because it gives a much clearer picture of what they stand for.

.... I would be fascinated to have a truthful answer to this from gauci&cunningham - and the other candidates for that matter!

My Q's weren't answered, so I thought I would ask again:

Really happy to have this thread too! Much thanks to Katie and Paul.

I too have pretty much made up my mind to vote for you both.

Q: Are you standing together on the one ticket?

Q: Do you have a support team behind you, if so who are they?

I think it is important to know the people behind the candidates, if there are any, because it gives a much clearer picture of what they stand for.

.... I would be fascinated to have a truthful answer to this from gauci&cunningham - and the other candidates for that matter!

I support these questions.

I was going to do so earlier with some more mayo, but couldn't find the words.

Given you are a people's ticket, ie non industry or not from a specific commercial background you will be targeted for your vote on certain things. There will be a lot of pressure on you to make decisions which align with influences.

Have you thought about how you will deal with that pressure as it will seem easy now but things can change/ What strategies do you have to negotiate this? 

Thanks for the question Dapto! 

One of the hardest decisions I made in the lead up to nomination centred around my commitment to my beliefs & the beliefs of the members. 

For years I have felt helpless in board votes, knowing who we should not be voting for, but knowing that our opinions may not be heard on the important things. 

Tackling pressure is something that comes naturally to me - I work in a hectic & ever changing environment, & I like to ensure that my voice is heard. That the opinions I hold are put on the table. 

This will be no different. 

I hope that answers your question. Thanks! 

Would you offer your unfettered assistance to our defensive coaching dept?

Catherine and Paul
I am genuinely confused and undecided about who I will be voting for. I know some candidates, know of others and know nothing at all about a couple of the candidates. That makes voting difficult and so I am grateful you have both reached out to blitz, albeit a powerfully influencial forum, to answer our questions.
I have five questions that will help me decide who I will be voting for:
1) What do each of you think you will add to the board that the board doesn't already have? What area of the board will you improve?
2) Will you bring stability, harmony and support to the board? And do you support Paul Little and Paul Brasher as president and Vice President?
3) I am particular interested in the area of bringing the club closer together (players, officials, coaches, supporters, members and fans). I think the club has made massive improvements in this area over the last two - three years and I believe there's some great ongoing ideas being discussed. What innovative ideas or creativity do you have that you may want to raise/propose at board level regarding the match day experience?
4) Can you convince us to trust you will never leak anything you've learned at board level to the media?
5) Do either of you have any association with Caroline Wilson, Beverley Knight, Ron Gauci or Jim Demetriu?
I appreciate you taken the time to answer these questions as openly as honestly as possible.

Good questions... but I think #5 can be broader. I don't believe for a minute either Katie or Paul would have anything to do with those individuals you have named but I would still like to know if they have a support group behind them and who they are.

Top idea for a thread. 

Katie, Paul,

Do you have any previous experience on a board?

Catherine,

Being from Sydney, do you even go to games?

just delete it then. It's late at night and most will not have seen it.

It was a good post but does divert discussion away from the worthy candidates of the thread.

Catherine and Paul, thank you for coming on this board and answering questions from a bunch of at times rabid supporters. I have a few question I would love to get answered if you don't mind.

1. If you felt it was to the benefit of the club, would you be prepared to lie to members, supporters and the press? I ask this not to trap either of you, but rather based on what has happened re talking to the media by the club. As an example, when SWMNBN went to press to say that Hird had been sacked, the club responded in the most (from my perspective) idiotic way by saying his job was safe FOR NOW. All that did was provide the media with a bone to gnaw at, whereas an unequivocal, he is the coach, would have short circuited that line for the media, even if they had fully intended to sack him the next day.

2. Do either of you believe we need to see more variety in membership packages? As an example, in WA I can't buy a National Membership due to the restrictions at Paterson Stadium on the reserved seating for opposition supporters, and the current allocations being full. I can either hold a National WA Waitlist membership for $50 or a Beyond the Boundary for $140. I take the second, more expensive option, but I don't go on the wait list, so effectively pay more money to the club for less benefits.

3. Without being on the board, neither of you are privy to any of the activities of the board regarding both the ASADA related  issues, as well as the general day to day issues affecting the club. If after being elected, you were unable to follow through on one of your election platform issues, would you be prepared to come back to this board and discuss the reasons behind it, obviously respecting any confidentiality issues?

Lastly, if either of you, after being elected to the board, found that the role was beyond your ability, would you willingly vacate the position before the next AGM, engendering stability issues within the board, and potentially creating a shift in the balance of power, or would you remain in place until the next AGM for the sake of stability?