Welcome to Essendon - John Worsfold

@magictouch “I really don’t think he is the right choice for us, yes he is a premiership coach but I feel the game is a younger persons game now. Look at Eade at the Suns and how that is playing along compared to the Dogs and Luke Beveridge.”

So just get a young guy then. That’s the plan? There’s a bit more to it that than I reckon.

Luke Beveridge (45) is 1 year younger than Worsfold (46).

Leon Cameron is 43
Bolton 36
Adam Simpson 39
Alan Richardson 50
Ken Hinkley 48

His age isn’t an issue.

@HAP

I’m the opposite. I don’t really like predetermined candidates as a rule, but I don’t mind this one.

I still think if we are to go the experienced coach route, Woosha was the best and almost only choice.

Don’t care who coaches.
If McKenna is brought in as assistant though, fark me, bring in McFarkhead for Craig’s role.

Worsfold is going to go through the application process.
Isn’t that what we wanted? To get as many coaches going through the process so that we aren’t left there with our dicks swinging choosing between Dean Laidley and Choco Williams?

I’m not against him as coach, but I’m also not for him. If the committee recommend Worsfold as the best person to coach us, then I will trust that the committee has weighed up everything during the process and come to that decision. I trust that this committee aren’t handling this as a pre-determined process. Brendan Bolton was favoured throughout the Carlton process and he was Carlton’s preferred choice, but it didn’t mean everyone else was discounted and weren’t in with a chance.

For me, my preference is to have Simon Lloyd as the coach, his brother Brad as recruitment manager to follow next season, Egan as an assistant and Brendon McCartney to help Neeld as assistant coach / player development.
I’d have no troubles if we end up with Worsfold as senior assistant coach. I think he’d be of more value to us than Mark Harvey. Regardless, I’d like to see an alternative senior assistant than Mark Harvey in the coaches box.

On the pro-nun-sea-aye-shun of ‘worsfold’, I believe it is:

“Chris Main-worr-ring”

The truth is that none of us really know ■■■■. We don’t know Worsfold, or McCartney, or Dew, or any of the other candidates and we have no idea which is the best one for the job.

All we can really do is trust that the committee put together by the club makes the right decision after going through a proper process - like Carlton (to their credit) just did. However I have doubts that this is occurring and think that the noise about Worsfold essentially being a shoein for the job are probably true. If that is true, then I have real concerns.

Just for discussion sake:

Sportsbet are offering

Worsfold $1.08
Lloyd $11
McCartney $17
Dew $17
Caracella $21

Sportsbet are offering

Worsfold $1.08
Lloyd $11
McCartney $17
Dew $17
Caracella $21

I take it that Burns isn’t interviewing?

I want Burns to take a Simon Goodwin role under Worsfold.

succession plans don’t work.

the Roos to Horse one worked out alright for Sydney

Sportsbet are offering

Worsfold $1.08
Lloyd $11
McCartney $17
Dew $17
Caracella $21

How did bookies favourite Neal Daniher go as coach after Sheeds? Can’t quite recall.

In regards to Dodoro, why are people wanting to see him gone? I think he has done well lately over the last 5 years
Heppell
Zerrett
Fantasia
Laverde
Langford
Gleeson
Baguely
Hibberd

Agree 100% SMJ we know fark all from the outside looking in.

then whats the point of having a discussion board?

In regards to Dodoro, why are people wanting to see him gone? I think he has done well lately over the last 5 years Heppell Zerrett Fantasia Laverde Langford Gleeson Baguely Hibberd
It's not exactly what he has recruited through the draft but also the players we have hung on to. His role as list manager includes choosing who we feel are worth hanging on to.

You could argue he hasn’t had the luxury to be daring due to the draft penalties, but guys like Elliott Kavanagh, Alex Browne, Ariel Sternberg, Tayte Pears were all held onto for far too long and were taken well before our draft penalties occurred for very little return.
Yes, you could say ‘what about Colyer’, but not many players would stay on a list for 4 or 5 years before consistently showing they are AFL standard. For some reason a lot of players we get into our club either take too long to reach AFL standard or just aren’t good enough to begin with.

This has been happening as far back as the days of Henneman and Bolton. We hang on to players for that one or two years too long and in the process miss out on guys like Michael Barlow because of it.

@7NewsMelbourne @BrigandLehmo Worsfold slipped into melbourne last night for Judd function, he met with Bombers officials in East Melbourne

— Tom Browne (@TomBrowne7) September 24, 2015