Welcome to Essendon - Mitch Brown please!

How about Jimmy’s cheeky grin he couldn’t conceal when quizzed during the post Dees match presser about the prospect of possibly getting first dibs on Mitch Brown in the next rookie draft? Made me laugh that. Obviously we wouldn’t get any special dispensation but I can far too easily see the words coming straight from Brown’s lips in 10 odd months from now; “I’m just really grateful to James Hird and the EFC for giving me that opportunity and I’d really like to pay back the faith they’ve shown in me.” Obviously it also goes without the usual “after a really good 1on1 conversation with Hirdy the decision was pretty easy really, it’s a really unique & special playing group after the adversity they’ve gone through, they know where they’re at and success isn’t too far away so hopefully I can add to that…”
Think we all concur Brown has shown enough throughout the NAB challenge to deserve a spot on an AFL list and if we’re looking down the barrel of Pears not bouncing back, a possible retirement after >400+ games - perhaps he could be another ace of hearts under disco’s big collared, pastel pink, Miami vice shirt!?!

I know nothing of his VFL form this year, is he predicted to win the liston trophy?

I can’t see how else you go from delisted and nobody wants you, to being a second round draft pick in just 12 months.

He has been enourmous in the vfl.

25 next season
196m 92kg
Has been clocking up midfield numbers of late.
Has managed to keep away from injury.
Could slot into Steinberg’s rookie place on the list.

Pears was good for 1.5 years. Rubbish for 5.5. Big stretch to suggest the former is characteristic, rather than the latter.

Every other club will have watched with interest. He’ll get another shot somewhere.

Could we select him as a delisted free agent? Or does that only apply to the players that get delisted at the end of each season?
I like Mitch Browns decision making, neat kicking skills and his body work in the contest. Would provide our list we a further balance of talls that can play forward and back.

I liked Hirdy’s grin…but I’m pretty sure that it was because of the concept that the AFL would give us any kind of advantage…

Has exceeded expectations. Would be deserving of another chance somewhere.

Quoted Post

Could we select him as a delisted free agent? Or does that only apply to the players that get delisted at the end of each season? I like Mitch Browns decision making, neat kicking skills and his body work in the contest. Would provide our list we a further balance of talls that can play forward and back.

Great question and I would love to know the answer also.

Would be a good replacement for Fletch if this is his last year. Good third tall and can swing forward as well.

Quoted Post

Could we select him as a delisted free agent? Or does that only apply to the players that get delisted at the end of each season? I like Mitch Browns decision making, neat kicking skills and his body work in the contest. Would provide our list we a further balance of talls that can play forward and back.

I’m not 100% sure, but i think the answer is no. The docs I’ve seen are unclear on this, but as far as I know, in general free agency rules were negotiated by the AFLPA as a part of the standard AFL player contract, and as such, only apply to current AFL players. Brown is a VFL player and as such, has no free agency rights to the best of my knowledge. Dunlop may be able to confirm this or correct me, he’s the contract rules guru.

Brown has been really good for us this preseason though, and certainly will have guaranteed himself a list spot next year (unless injury intervenes) - solid mature bodied ready-to-go tall defenders with experience playing against AFL-quality forwards are a bit thin on the ground. He’ll play AFL again. It’d be nice if it was with us.

I thought the Free agency and delisted free agency had separate rules and thats the reason for my question.
Otherwise weneed to select Brown in the National draft, Pre season draft or in rookie draft.

I’m sure he will want to give us first dibs, deserves another shot Cats were to quick on him.

Quoted Post

I'm sure he will want to give us first dibs, deserves another shot Cats were to quick on him.
Lol, only an Essendon supporter could say something like this with a straight face. He was drafted in '08 and spent 6 injury riddled years on their list. The Cats knew he had talent, and most of the Cats fans I know hoped he would get an extended shot at it and every time he looked like he might he inevitably had an interruption. In list management terms the Cats did exactly the right thing, you can't have guys perpetually clogging up your list due to injury, no matter how much you rate them.

Having said that I hope his body holds up and he gets another shot at it, he certainly has the ability to be successful at AFL level.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I’m not 100% sure, but i think the answer is no. The docs I’ve seen are unclear on this, but as far as I know, in general free agency rules were negotiated by the AFLPA as a part of the standard AFL player contract, and as such, only apply to current AFL players. Brown is a VFL player and as such, has no free agency rights to the best of my knowledge. Dunlop may be able to confirm this or correct me, he’s the contract rules guru.

Brown has been really good for us this preseason though, and certainly will have guaranteed himself a list spot next year (unless injury intervenes) - solid mature bodied ready-to-go tall defenders with experience playing against AFL-quality forwards are a bit thin on the ground. He’ll play AFL again. It’d be nice if it was with us.

It’s more a smart ■■■■ line of thinking, but isn’t he a contracted AFL player at present ? maybe we should delist him before that contract runs out, therefore he will be a delisted free agent, and can choose us as his prefered destination at years end.
That’s more wishful thinking to shove it up the AFL’s ■■■■, moreso than thinking it’s an actual option to happen.

I haven’t really followed the preseason so is he actually on a vfl list or something, surely they’d have to be offering him at worst a contract to play with the bomber reserves.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that the AFL is looking at a mid season draft again. Things could change quickly, might even happen for this season. I reckon such a period as a mid season trade period would be awesome. Just sayin !!

Brown would be a useful addition if Fletcher retires, and is certainly a better option than Pears.

Thought he was a spud for Geelong but to be fair to him, mostly played fwd for them so didn’t see how he went in defense.

Has been good in defense for the past 3 games. Would welcome him with a rookie pick for sure. Would add extra depth.

Geelong bloke at work reckons he is a good VFL player and that Cats would have held onto him otherwise

Would be a steal as a rookie (like McKernan looks to be so far). Get’s through this season in the VFL with no problems and he will be hot property I imagine. We will need another key defender very soon and a mature body would be of the essence rather than a raw kid. Also, fact that he can swing forward would add even more versatility.