Welcome to Essendon - Mitch Brown please!

A second rounder? For Mitch Brown?

Why the fark would we or anybody do that?

Don’t think it will happen, maybe a third rounder at best.

Ready made AFL level KPDs don’t come around all the time, so the intelligence gathering around this guy is going to be really interesting. Clubs will all be trying to work out where he’ll be taken and trying to throw other clubs off the scent. It would be nice to get him, but I think it will be a bonus, not the objective of the draft.

For key back depth with experience, who can also stint up forward, I’d hope we seriously try. Don’t forget what he showed in the Nab games for us…if we can’t get it done maybe we should look at Angus Litherland

Thought he would definately fall into the PSD category or really late in the actual draft.

But we don’t know who the wooden spooners are going to delist yet…

But we don't know who the wooden spooners are going to delist yet..

Luke McGuane

Iirc his body was his main issue
If he’s got through a season unscathed he probably goes close to being late second round/early third
Could very well be a case of better the devil you know (Brown) than the devil you don’t (anonymous draftee #42)

I know nothing of his VFL form this year, is he predicted to win the liston trophy?

I can’t see how else you go from delisted and nobody wants you, to being a second round draft pick in just 12 months.

Well, it depends on how he’s going of course. But if this draft is weak, if we lost Carlisle, Fletch/Pear retires, so were down to 3 non-ruck talls on the entire list, then we might very well consider him for a 2nd round pick. If he’s capable of slotting straight into defence then he’s worth a 2nd round pick. If he’s only depth, its more 4th or 5th rounds.

Reckon Brown will go in the 50s.

Well, it depends on how he’s going of course. But if this draft is weak, if we lost Carlisle, Fletch/Pear retires, so were down to 3 non-ruck talls on the entire list, then we might very well consider him for a 2nd round pick. If he’s capable of slotting straight into defence then he’s worth a 2nd round pick. If he’s only depth, its more 4th or 5th rounds.
I'd say he's capable of slotting straight into our modified training group. He spent most of his career at Geelong injured or coming back from injury, I wouldn't spend a high pick on him after a lone injury free VFL season. Even if we do need KPP depth. If he was available at our 4th rounder, sure, you'd have a good look.

Worth a lets ND punt.

Completely uneducated guess: Late 40s early 50s. Maybe slightly earlier depending on if a top side has a real need.

And Peos: It’s because it’s 0 risk and ready made. He’s a known quantity and will slot straight in and do a job for you.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of Brown, but when he was a top up in the pre season, he was playing KPD. The last thing we need IMO is a KPD, has he/is he capable of playing KPF? Joe badly needs tall support from a natural forward. Hooker has done an admirable job but he’s not a natural forward as he’s often leading to the wrong spot or going to the same areas as Joe which nullifies them both. Carlisle is much the same IMO.

I’d much prefer our backline being along the lines of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Baguley, Hibberd, Gleeson/Dempsey and having a forward line of Joe with a Brown type rotating between FF and CHF with hopefully a decent crumbing/pressure small (perhaps this is Dempsey?) and mid combo. Or do I have NFI?

I think we need a KPD, just not a starting KPD. I’d like to have an AFL capable genuinely tall defender on our depth list. Our tall depth is practically non-existent, Brown would be a perfect backup. Of course he probably wouldn’t be particularly interested in being drafted as a backup, but hey.

Completely uneducated guess: Late 40s early 50s. Maybe slightly earlier depending on if a top side has a real need.

And Peos: It’s because it’s 0 risk and ready made. He’s a known quantity and will slot straight in and do a job for you.

Why didn’t anybody do it last year?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of Brown, but when he was a top up in the pre season, he was playing KPD. The last thing we need IMO is a KPD, has he/is he capable of playing KPF? Joe badly needs tall support from a natural forward. Hooker has done an admirable job but he's not a natural forward as he's often leading to the wrong spot or going to the same areas as Joe which nullifies them both. Carlisle is much the same IMO.

I’d much prefer our backline being along the lines of Hooker, Hurley, Carlisle, Baguley, Hibberd, Gleeson/Dempsey and having a forward line of Joe with a Brown type rotating between FF and CHF with hopefully a decent crumbing/pressure small (perhaps this is Dempsey?) and mid combo. Or do I have NFI?

Not so sure about that. Our tall depth is thin everywhere - Fletch is at best 50-50 to stay on, Carlisle is still unsigned, Gwilt is undersized and not getting any younger, and Steinberg is just as undersized but his performances haven’t exactly guaranteed a list spot next year. Hooker, while I personally prefer him as a backman too, has performed very creditably for a forward given he’s had basically no time to work with the forward group in the preseason, to learn the forward structures etc.

Brown would be very healthy depth if nothing else.

Don’t disagree with you HM that a few injuries sees that depth tested. I don’t expect Fletch to play on next year and IMO Steinberg isn’t up to standard so a likely delisting. I still believe Carlisle will sign, I’ve maintained that stance throughout. Gwilt is adequate as a back up only and who knows if Pears is still up to it? He hasn’t played at the level in so long due to injury.

I guess my poorly made point was that as far as KPP go, we really only have Joe as a KPF as I believe Hooker, Hurley and Carlisle are natural defenders and play their best football there. Who have we got as KPF if Joe gets hurt? Whilst KPP depth is needed, I believe a KPF is of far more urgency than KPD. Of course, speedy midfielders and a crumbing/pressuring small forward are also areas of weakness.

We need KP depth both ends.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of Brown, but when he was a top up in the pre season, he was playing KPD. The last thing we need IMO is a KPD, has he/is he capable of playing KPF? Joe badly needs tall support from a natural forward. Hooker has done an admirable job but he's not a natural forward as he's often leading to the wrong spot or going to the same areas as Joe which nullifies them both. Carlisle is much the same IMO.

Reckon? We just conceded 40 goals to Crameri and 20 to Stringer because they were both playing on guys shorter than them.
And Hooker’s been our most consistent big forward since going down there.

I reckon we’ll (assuming we keep Carlisle) start next year Hurley/Carlisle/Gwilt back; and Hooker/Joe/Langford fwd. Stein and ??? as the next in line options, and Gwilt’s going on 29.

I reckon that’s rubbish about Hooker leading to the wrong spots FWIW. The last 5 weeks since they chucked him forward he has been averaging over 8 marks (that sort of pace would have him 2nd in the comp amongst forwards, behind only Roo) and over 3 marks inside 50 (ie about 3rd in the comp). You’re right that there’s some figuring out that he & Joe need to sort out.