Welcome to Essendon, picks #6, #7 and #8 (8-11 ish), Caldwell, 2MP and Hind

I must say to know from pick 9 on we have 3 in a row to choose from every other player in Australia that is draft worthy is pretty cool.

3 Likes

Yeah nah. Theres 5 that have enough exposed form.

That and noone knows who we will pick. Twomey workin the phones for his phantom.

1 Like

Trade up.

2 Likes

Can we trade picks prior to the draft eg 7-8 for 2?

Can trade em on the night!

Why would north trade 2?

If I was them I’d be taking The big tall myself.

1 Like

The solution to poor development of young players by the coaching structure actually isn’t “avoid draft picks”.

16 Likes

It might actually be a great year to have picks in that 8-12 range… 40-60% of the best kids in the country usually come out of Vic but they’ve got little to no exposed form this year. A lot of kids make a big step between their bottom age and top age years as well… anyway, we wait and see

Because they need more players, they do!!

Yep

Of course they are taking him. Ever since they told Ben Brown to walk.

3 Likes

I just got a first draft of Dodoro’s comments on Caldwell

First draft…

Jye - he’s a quality kid. He’s from a super draft. We rated him as a top 5 pick that year - clearly the second best mid behind Sam Walsh. Also he is from a great family and is a real leader. At the 2018 draft we were just unfortunate not to have a first round pick as we had used it to bring in Dylan Shiel. It’s great now we can play the two of the together. Really it’s just amazing how good I am at my job - it’s just a shame we don’t have a game plan or a coach who can capitalise off my great work.

20 Likes

North have a lot of spots to fill

1 Like

Where’s the in/out summary at?

I’m lazy, sue me.

Three words…

Delisted free agents

It’s not like the people that continually defend the club ever say they got it wrong.

enter @Stallion between Sheil and Caldwell being reunited

Edit: Still in that Taxi shot

I would have liked Dunkley, he’s as close to a sure thing as you can find in this game, he fills a gapping hole in the list and he’s 23. I think it would have been good business to pay 7 and 8 for him in a draft that is heavily heavily compromised by NGA selections and covid. I wanted to hold next year’s pick though.

From there we could have taken the best kid available at 6, our 2 NGA prospects Wright and Caldwell and I would have been happy. Hind i’m indifferent on, there were better players than him around for cheap.

I think if you target a guy who is contracted you have to have a good understanding of what your opponents price is likely to be. If we baulked at 7 and 8 we we’re kidding ourselves. If we baulked at 8 and next year’s first that’s a reasonable decision.

All that said I think Pickering was playing us from the start and the dogs never had any real interest in the trade. Pickering wanted an extension for his client and went silent this week when it was clear it wasn’t happening. If he was serious about the move he would have been going full Paul Connors in the press throwing dirt. We did little more than provide a useful smokescreen for the deals the dogs were actually interested in while missing some interesting and affordable opportunities for ourselves.

we really did the bear minimum to improve our list and missed on Witherdon and Phillips each of whom would have been a better addition than hind.

Will see what comes of Caldwell, he looks like a pretty solid citizen to me but I don’t see greatness.

All that said three top 10 picks is a decent place to start a rebuild from. I expect disco will still be trying to trade up too.

Next year will be a long hard year I suspect. We still have the same glaring list deficiencies that we’ve had for a couple of years now - big midfielders, outside class, key forward to replace JD, key defender to replace hooker and Hurley.

The pressure on Rutten will build very quickly.

9 Likes

I thought we needed another player about dunkleys age when we went for him.

Im not unhappy about hitting the draft, just a bit unhappy we didnt have a backup if dunks fell through.

Brodie contracted?

1 Like

depends what the definition of “gun” is ?
i mean you ask enough people around here, parish, francs and langford are “guns”, but you ask all 17 other clubs and they’d laugh at you.

and what is the deal if they do turn into guns, but the club stays the same way they are now and have been for the last 16 years ?

Granted there’s no guarantee dunkley would have changed those things, but at least by reports you know he had those traits.

people who have no faith in the coach, the club dodo and everrything essendon are putting a hell of alot of faith in 3 kids being able to help turn the club around enough in the short term not to get the coach the ■■■ in 3 years time.

1 Like