Welcome to Essendon, picks #6, #7 and #8 (8-11 ish), Caldwell, 2MP and Hind

I imagine this is pretty close to the truth

Agree, particularly Witherden

They rated him very highly at GWS by all accounts so let’s wait and see there. It’s definitely nice getting back into that 2018 draft

I don’t think Dunkley would have done anything more than sneak us into the eight again. He doesn’t fix three of the holes you’ve pointed out there and we’re not about to fix those quickly. We also have a couple of massive gaps to fill down back with Saad and McKenna going.

As I’ve mentioned before I think we need three really good hits at the draft to rebuild the list to challenge for a premiership and I am fairly worried we will lose Zach next year as well

Recruiting Dunkley would have:

1. halved the number of first round picks we have over the next two years
  2. lifted our performance in 2021 and pushed our 2021 pick back a few slots.
  3. reduced the value of the compo pick that we will get if Merrett leaves

Now we get 4 first rounders minimum over 2020 and 2021 and potentially an extra early first rounder (i imagine top 6-7 ish) if Zach goes as a FA next year. PLUS an opportunity to make some big FA bids.

1 Like

I like the draft haul and hope it will stay as 3 in the top ten. But on paper, this doesn’t look great:

Out: Daniher, Fantasia, Saad and McKenna
In: Caldwell, Wright, Hind

That’s a step backwards. We really need those draft picks to work

4 Likes

I don’t really see how Dunkley was really addressing that issue, other than maybe helping getting us in the bottom 5 rather than the bottom 2.

I’m certainly not putting faith in 3 draft picks to save Rutten’s job, either.

Basically, I think we’re farked for a few years with or without Dunkley. He would have been very nice ( I get it, I was keen) but the price was too much, imo.

11 Likes

It will be interesting to see what we do next year. I think we can say with confidence we will have a top 10 pick, probably top 6.

If we are serious about a rebuild we have to make some hard calls next year. No one over 25 should be off limits. Hepp, tippa, Shiel, Smith could all be shopped. Hurley hooker and zaka are probably all too far gone to be worth anything.

2 Likes

yep. if dunkley plays next year, where do we finish, maybe 3-4 spots higher? maybe, at best. my position all along was to not sell the farm and spend two high end picks

I for one, am rapt we have three top 10 picks and added caldwell who could be a midfielder for 10 years

12 Likes

Oh I agree. But at 23 you’ve got at least 5 good years in him to address those other issues. Getting Dunkley would not have stopped us from looking to get into to next year’s draft but shopping hepp and tippa for example. We still might

1 Like

I think those top 3 picks all need to have afl ready bodies. No skinny kids with potential. Get kids we can throw onto the coal face from the get go

1 Like

I’m hoping for one absolute gun, one solid citizen and will tolerate one bust.

2 Likes

Not a bad tactic get the hungry ones who want redemption

Yeah that’s a reasonable analysis over all. To be clear I’m not devo Dunkley deal didn’t go through. I do feel though that we’ve either been played for sucker’s or had an unrealistic idea of what Dunkley would cost. either reality reflects poorly on disco. Of course he may also just have held his nerve and not paid ridiculous overs

1 Like

This post need more likes

1 Like

Why? Ridley was a skinny kid

If your not devo we didnt get Dunkley your kidding yourself…

We were up to our necks and I am spewin for Dunks and us.

2 Likes

It is pretty funny and very ‘us’ that in a draft that apparently has a clear top 5 picks that stand out above the others that we would have picks 6,7 and 8.

9 Likes

Having 3 top 10 picks is a pretty handy fall back. I think we should have paid 7 and 8 for him but I can live with the decision to go to the draft.

Would have loved to get him, but not at any cost

Doggies are a ten goal better team than us at the moment… they kicked 20 goals IN A ROW against us

They are adding JUH, Treloar

Do you think we get closer to a premiership by taking a bloke that they play as a mr fix it and giving them two top 10 picks?

2 Likes

Not from people here. Everyone thinks we did great. The Caldwell deal is the only thing I’m happy with

The outcome is neither a win nor a loss, it’s the type of hand you get when you finish lower table and players want out. I’m relieved we didn’t blow it on players who would have eaten into the salary cap and demanded long term deals. If we take off the rose coloured glasses it’s recognition we’ve been going nowhere for decades, having been stuck in the mid table doldrums. Even this year we somehow failed to drop into the pointy end of the draft. 3 decent picks is a reasonable return but brace yourself for some ordinary performances coming up. We couldn’t score to save ourselves when it counted this year and if you can see a magic answer let the coaches know. Another 3 years minimum till we start to rise up providing we stick to the course.
Only one game plan needed next year, play the kids!

2 Likes

The odds of any recruiter getting 3 guns with those 3 picks is very low. Setting your expectations that high is pretty silly.

Especially given:
a) by the time we get them, those picks will be 2-3 spots later due to academy picks
b) every Victorian kid is being rated on their U17yr form.

6 Likes

To be fair, it only has a clear top 5 picks because there was no meaningful u18 season in Vic. I guarantee, if the NAB league had gone on as normal, these guys wouldn’t be the top 5.

With 6, 7, 8 you could do VERY well if you’re good at talent id based on underage performances. Or you could very easily whiff entirely, which is one of the reason I expect us to use at least one of those picks to try to trade into next draft.

12 Likes