Welcome to Essendon - Sam Michael

Exactly.

THIS WINTER, FROM THE FOOTBALL CLUB THAT BROUGHT YOU "LET'S PLAY OUR FIRST FINAL IN ABOUT A DECADE WITH NO RUCKS" AND "THREE RUCKMEN, IT HAS TO WORK" COMES THIS SEASONS BIGGEST BLOCKBUSTER

FOUR RUCKMEN

No wait

Bellcho
Gach
Smack
Leuny
Michael
Jamar

SIX RUCKMEN

Do it John.

But how many of those six will play in our next final?
1?

I count 5. Unless Bellcho wins on appeal.

Sub out Bellcho for Grimley. That gives you 6 again.

THIS WINTER, FROM THE FOOTBALL CLUB THAT BROUGHT YOU "LET'S PLAY OUR FIRST FINAL IN ABOUT A DECADE WITH NO RUCKS" AND "THREE RUCKMEN, IT HAS TO WORK" COMES THIS SEASONS BIGGEST BLOCKBUSTER

FOUR RUCKMEN

No wait

Bellcho
Gach
Smack
Leuny
Michael
Jamar

SIX RUCKMEN

Do it John.

But how many of those six will play in our next final?
1?

I count 5. Unless Bellcho wins on appeal.

Sub out Bellcho for Grimley. That gives you 6 again.

7, counting Ambrose.

What? No love for Paddy?

This guy is a behemoth! As wide as he is tall!
We need this kind of physical presence to bullock around the packs to protect the youngsters this year.

Was good today.

Will not die wondering! The back-to-back charge through four Fark Carltoners at CHF was awesome.

Will not die wondering! The back-to-back charge through four Fark Carltoners at CHF was awesome.

Wrecking ball. Love it.

He is amazing how mobile and big he is

Why on earth did brisbane not keep him

Loved his game.

Will be interesting to see what his form is like against better opposition. Absolutely salivating to think we may have multiple ruck options this seasonā€¦ all of which appear an upgrade on TBellā€¦

Will be interesting to see what his form is like against better opposition. Absolutely salivating to think we may have multiple ruck options this season.. all of which appear an upgrade on TBell..

No way ALL of which appear upgrades to TBell.
Yes TBell has had a couple of ordinary seasons ( mainly due to injuries) but donā€™t forget when TBell is on he was a very good tap ruckman and could take a great grab up front.
Arguably only ruckman on our list atm better than an inform TBell would be Luenberge.
Smack and even Sam today showed they are great around the ground but there ruckwork ( taps to advantage) is a fair way below most of the best rucks.

Yay, Ruck depth! At least we can play JD, Smack, Ambrose, and any other makeshit tall in their best position and see what they've got, and maybe an option for ruck back up next year.

(NB: start playing him as a KP in the VFL if we decide we want him as a ruck in 2017, and make sure he doesnt do anything worthwhile from then on until post EFC draft pick 80+.

Unfortunate typo thereā€¦ :wink:

Yay, Ruck depth! At least we can play JD, Smack, Ambrose, and any other makeshit tall in their best position and see what they've got, and maybe an option for ruck back up next year.

(NB: start playing him as a KP in the VFL if we decide we want him as a ruck in 2017, and make sure he doesnt do anything worthwhile from then on until post EFC draft pick 80+.

Unfortunate typo thereā€¦ :wink:

Even more unfortunately, accurate

Mate after the game called him Giant Peveril.

Sensational.

ā€œGiant Sex Godā€?!

"Giant Sex God"?

That will raise some interest.

S ā€œ&ā€ M

Got some serious mongrel!

Got some serious mongrel!
Are we still talking about him being a giant sex god?
Will be interesting to see what his form is like against better opposition. Absolutely salivating to think we may have multiple ruck options this season.. all of which appear an upgrade on TBell..

No way ALL of which appear upgrades to TBell.
Yes TBell has had a couple of ordinary seasons ( mainly due to injuries) but donā€™t forget when TBell is on he was a very good tap ruckman and could take a great grab up front.
Arguably only ruckman on our list atm better than an inform TBell would be Luenberge.
Smack and even Sam today showed they are great around the ground but there ruckwork ( taps to advantage) is a fair way below most of the best rucks.

I will admit, I havenā€™t read many of your posts in the last 6 months but you still seem intent on following me around so here goes:

Off the bat I will say that I have previously been a huge TBell fan and was keen on his retention. That was then and this is now.

The first issue with your assumption is that TBell is capable of capturing this ā€˜formā€™ you speak of. Far too much hype has been given to a couple of good games he has played and even then his influence was greatly assisted by the fact he was paired with the most influential ruckman (Ryder) at the time.

The second issue I have is around this notion of ā€˜ruckworkā€™ being about taps to advantage and so forth. If Sandilands has shown us anything it is that ā€˜tapsā€™ may be the most useless stat in the game. Taps to advantage is better but still very open to interpretation and the skill of the players in and around the packs. What we are also coming to realise is that ruck work is about far more than taps to advantage, or which even the elite Rucks of the competition only average around 8 per game. The role of a ruck is now to negate the influence of the opposition ruck man, provide ball use for his own players but, more importantly, to act as a 5th midfielder once the ball hits the deck. The ruckman must also be mobile enough to ensure there are no gaps in the oval-wide defensive structure and provide enough aerobic capacity to influence up to 120+ contests per game. TBell has consistently demonstrated that he clearly fails in this aspect of the game.

Iā€™m not saying that Smack or Sam ā€˜solveā€™ our Ruck situation but neither does Bellchambers, who even last year couldnā€™t cement his spot in the best 22 irrespective of injury. When a learned coaching panel elects to use Ambrose instead of TBellā€¦ that should be a big warning that he is not, and may not ever be, capable of the job.

And finally I would add that I believe that heart, character and just plain mongrel are more valuable than any minor ā€˜tapworkā€™ advantage TBell might have. Capri has no heart and plays like it and, in my own singular opinion, I rate any of those options more than him.