Welcome to the Bombers Johnny Rayner

Nice one. Dodoro said he has been good in the James Hird Academy this year? How the fark does that work?

A 'Rookie B List?? When did this happen??

2-3 years ago.

-----

His height/weight from his Jets year: 184cms, 68kgs.

Whilst I congratulate the club for finally deciding to look outside the box a bit more, it is a bit half-arsed, he's the first alternate talent guy I've heard of to only be given a 1 year rather than 2, so either they're expecting results in the first season or they're just dipping the toe in and re-evalutating things at the end of the season. Secondly unlike every other alternate talent who either never played AFL or stopped playing very early in their teens, he got to draft age, didn't get picked up and hasn't played football since.

... he got to draft age, didn't get picked up and hasn't played football since.

hahaha yeah that's pretty funny when you think about it.

Yeah, you would have thought they'd try and target an athletic freak from another code who looked to have some skills that would tranfer over. This isn't the most audacious move ever made.

haha I actually know this bloke! He was an umpire in the EDFL for a number of years, (while he was still playing) - at the same time Jake Carlisle was incidently. He is a St. Bernards boy. A mate of mine who went to school with him says he is a fantastic bloke. He would rack it up for Western Jets in his draft year, I think his athleticism- speed and endurance allowed him to get into space a lot assisted this. As people have eluded to I think his disposal is the slight question mark. Good luck to him. See how he goes!

He will be stepping back in training intensity you would think from his athletics, so quite likely he will fill out pretty quickly too.800m runner is just about it in terms of athletic ability for a footballer, has speed, but has to combine that with endurance. His best for 800m was 1:47:98, which is the equivalent of running 8 consecutive 13.5 second 100m without a break.

<strong>Monday</strong>

<p>5 x 600m in 1.30</p>

<strong>Tuesday</strong>

<p>30min jog + weights and plyometrics</p>

<strong>Wednesday</strong>

3 sets of 2x300m in 38 (45sec between reps and 6min between sets)

<strong>Thursday</strong>

<p>30min jog +weights and plyometrics</p>

<strong>Friday</strong>

<p>light warm up and run throughs</p>

<strong>Saturday</strong>

competition or hard training session to replicate competition e.g. 500m in 66 then 2min break and 300m in 39

<strong>Sunday</strong>

<p>50min run + core and stretching</p>

</blockquote>

That was a normal weekly training routine.

If the onky knock on him was his kicking, a few years away from the footy could be a good thing, because you can possibly retrain the muscle memory.

Best of luck to him.

We'll risk a bloke that can't play football, but not a guy who can play but is a risk.

The thing is, though, that the guy who can't play football costs absolutely nothing, and MAY have something to develop, while the guy who can actually play, but is a risk, would come at a hefty Pick 26 price.  I think the issue is the PRICE the club is willing to pay to accept that risk.  By Fogdog's and perhaps, Benfti's accounts, if Garlett was available as a rookie (or maybe even at 55), that price might be something EFC would be willing to play.  

It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Sure, why not?

Yeah, you would have thought they'd try and target an athletic freak from another code who looked to have some skills that would tranfer over. This isn't the most audacious move ever made.

as opposed to this bloke who has played years of footy and came through the afl development system you mean.

2-3 years ago.

-----

His height/weight from his Jets year: 184cms, 68kgs.

Whilst I congratulate the club for finally deciding to look outside the box a bit more, it is a bit half-arsed, he's the first alternate talent guy I've heard of to only be given a 1 year rather than 2, so either they're expecting results in the first season or they're just dipping the toe in and re-evalutating things at the end of the season. Secondly unlike every other alternate talent who either never played AFL or stopped playing very early in their teens, he got to draft age, didn't get picked up and hasn't played football since.

In defence of the club however, didn't they make a massive play for Inglis a couple of years ago?  They also did find Jenkins with his basketball background, and previously tried the Irish route as well, with Quinn.  Didn't they also have a gridiron player or basketballer training at the club in the last year or two (not Armstrong)?

Also, Rayner apparently approached Dodoro, and they have been working with him at the Academy for about 4 months, so have had a bit of time to assess him.  He has a footy history, the club have had a chance to take a first hand look at his skills development, he is obviously a gun athlete, he costs them virtually nothing - so why not?  Given his desire and work ethic, maybe - just maybe - they think they can polish him up to at worst, a serviceable AFL level.  

Wow that is thinking outside the box. Great to see given our draft penalties. Sounds like he has a little pedigree as well.  I hope we are going to sound out all of our supporters to find willing and able potential recruits.  

If he can do anything like Blicavs did off the Rookie B list we will be singing Dodoro's praises for years to come. 

185cm
News.com.au confirm that EFC are able to do things without leaking:
"A lifelong Bombers fan, Rayner called Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro in July about potentially joining them under the AFL's alternative talent rules, which provides clubs with extra rookie spots for athletes from rival sports.
Rayner has since been conducting twice weekly skills sessions with development coach Marty Allison to help refine his kicking and will step out for his first official Essendon training session with the rest of the 1-4 year players next Wednesday."

Best thing about that? Rang up while every piece of crap media personality in the country was saying Essendon was treating players like guinea pigs and said "can I get in on that?" Love it.

Expected this

Than saw this
20131030_rayner_hero.jpg

Just a query, how does he actually get on our list? I mean do we use a draft pick or??

Just a query, how does he actually get on our list? I mean do we use a draft pick or??

Nope, he pretty much walked in off the street and we said yep, we'll give you a go. Because he hasn't been registered anywhere in the last 3 years to play football, he is a free pick, outside our rookie and main list.

Boom or bust for this choice IMO, which makes it a strange one considering the premiership window is ‘open’. Fingers crossed.

Boom or bust for this choice IMO, which makes it a strange one considering the premiership window is 'open'. Fingers crossed.

There is no bust on this one Benny, all he costs us is a wage. We don't lose a draft spot for him, and we don't have to trade for him. If he doesn't make it, stiff ■■■■, to bad so sad. If he plays just 1 game, he has been value.

Excellent. And he is studying medicine. Doc Reid has to retire at some stage.

as opposed to this bloke who has played years of footy and came through the afl development system you mean.

Yes, but he didn't even get rookie listed in his draft year and now he is three years older and has no football experience during that time. I'm not actually negative or against this, it's just that I think we could have targeted a kid who had some truly stand out features.

Having said that, his speed may be better than I thought judging by some comments and if he can couple that with impressive endurance then he may be a good option. It just struke me that picking up a kid who came through AFL developmental pathways and didn't make it the first time is still pretty conservative for "thinking outside the box". Then again if the kid really did approach the club and not the other way around it is a huge tick in the "ballsy" column which is definitely a positive.