Welcome to the Club - Daniel McPherson

With all these positions we are trying to fill, it feels like we have probably been shooting for the stars but in the end, have just settled for the dregs.

Mainly because we have always been behind on the timeline while we waited for the external review.
So now we are getting guys like Dan McPherson (yuck) and promoting guys from within like Cam Roberts.

All part of the flow on effect of old balls Brasher not sacking Rutten and doing the review in June/July when it should have happened.

1 Like

McPherson was highly praised by Melbourne when leaving 12 months ago after they won a flag. Klakko brought his own team in and saw McPherson as surplus to his clan.

16 Likes

This is definitely what the club PR will run with.

1 Like

99% of people absolutely do not give a ā– ā– ā– ā– , and the club PR will be the bare minimum ā€œwe hired this guy who used to be at north and melbourneā€.

Edit: aaaand, Iā€™m wrong

In a couple of years when everything is still ā– ā– ā– ā– , they will find out.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not an important appointment, Iā€™m saying most people donā€™t care. And most people still wonā€™t care if heā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  awful, theyā€™ll demand the coach gets sacked and complain that some player or another is lazy.

2 Likes

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re agreeing or disagreeing.

I was disagreeing that the club would have a PR strategy about the appointment. Which I was instantly wrong about.

I also disagree that most Essendon supporters will find out heā€™s bad at his job, if he is. Theyā€™ll just know weā€™re still ā– ā– ā– ā– . Iā€™d guess most Essendon supporters donā€™t know who our current head of football is, or who he replaced.

Going by social media (I know), the appointments have not been well received so far.

That sounds about right. When I say most people donā€™t care, Iā€™m talking about two types of people. First, people who read the article, have an opinion and a post about it, and if asked in January who our head of performance is wouldnā€™t know. And second, people who never even see the news because being an Essendon supporter for them is watching the team play football each weekend and canā€™t even begin to imagine spending time reading about administrative appointments or the draftee profile of pick 97 in the rookie draft.

Thatā€™s different to people who see the appointment, read about the details, and say ā€œeh, donā€™t care either wayā€. Thatā€™s a considered opinion of ambivalence. Which is probably less than the number of people who say ā€œI donā€™t like itā€

1 Like

I just donā€™t quite get what youā€™re arguing. I understand what you mean.

I will say okay.

1 Like

Fair. Iā€™ll work on my communication skills.

Itā€™s not that.

I justā€¦ was more making a throw away comment.

I am more annoyed at the actual appointments.

1 Like
2 Likes

McPherson will report directly to Josh Mahoney and will be responsible for driving and aligning the important performance functions of coaching and physical performance for the AFL program.

So McPhersonā€™s role is to make sure Brad Scott is getting what he needs from the fitness team.

while Roberts role is to make sure the assistant coaches are doing the right thing regarding getting the players to kick, mark, handball, tackle, smother, and follow the game plan properly.

7 Likes

So technically, even worse than Clone Hirdy thought

He did 8 years at Melbourne and one at norf?

Needs a shower and heā€™s fine.

4 Likes

The hot neighbours dude? Cool.

1 Like

With secondary role of preparations for inclement weather in games (because heā€™s an expert at gettinā€™ caught in the rain)

I preferred Daniel in his role on The Bill

4 Likes