Well Done Disco!

Heffernan while not a superstar still went alright! the next okay players were Nathan Brown at #10, Heath Black at #12 and Max Hudgton at #15.

Heffernan while not a superstar still went alright! the next okay players were Nathan Brown at #10, Heath Black at #12 and Max Hudgton at #15.

Noel Judkins wanted to take Hudgton at Pick 5, Sheedy overruled him and wanted McAlister. Pretty sure that was the beginning of the end for the Sheedy/Judkins relationshipā€¦

Oh Sheeds! Wonder if we could have had Max and Fletch in the same backline

Maxy was a quality player so Iā€™d say heā€™d have got in somewhere. Another draft bust-up that year was that Sheeds wanted to take Martin Pyke, who was free to pick up after Fitzroy merged with Brissy, NJ rejected that move and North selected him.

Maxy was a quality player so Iā€™d say heā€™d have got in somewhere. Another draft bust-up that year was that Sheeds wanted to take Martin Pyke, who was free to pick up after Fitzroy merged with Brissy, NJ rejected that move and North selected him.

I was too young to remember the happenings of this but that is crazy.

Itā€™s in the book ā€˜Sheeds - The Jigsaw Manā€™ written by Tim Watson. An unauthorised biography on Sheedy, a very good read if you can get your hands on it.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn148/Ozeob/DodoroJackets_zps6dgnmimx.jpg
That is farking brilliant. Take a farking bow.

Itā€™s in the book ā€˜Sheeds - The Jigsaw Manā€™ written by Tim Watson. An unauthorised biography on Sheedy, a very good read if you can get your hands on it.

I was looking into some Christmas reading material. Will add to the list. Thank you.

Credit when credit is due, criticism when criticism is due. Dodoro has made the most of the situation with the Jakes & put the club in a very good position to attack this draft. Hopefully this will be the draft we look back on & say "we nailed it". This is the best draft picks we've had probably ever so lets all hope Dodoro & Keane follow up on the positives with more good work.
Nah, 96 draft:

#2 (Heffernan)
#5 (DMac)
#21 (Tim Williams)
#25 (Bomford)
#28 (JJ)

YIiiiiikes.

Wow. I quickly thought of 96 & remembered 2 & 5 but completely forgot about the other early picks. At least JJ at 28 was a rippa. That draft was a stinker all round. You could argue JJ was close to the best pick. The rookie draft had a better success rate.

Melbourne's work... Grgic with their first pick, Al Nicholson with their 2nd, but later on:

Woewodin 3rd round PSD pick - canā€™t be many other BL medallists taken effectively at pick 100 odd.
And in the rookies - Russell Robertson, Junior McDonald (both 200 gamers), Daniel Ward (100+ games), Matthew Bishop (who went on to play 100+ for Port), Bass (went on to play 200+ for Adelaide)

What a crapshoot!

Heā€™s done half his job. Congratulate him in 2-3 years when we can see how well heā€™s done with the picks.

Love that we are still regarded a hard club to trade with

Essendon are notoriously hard to deal with at the trade table, so when Jake Carlisle wanted out it was going to take a very brave club to try and secure his services. Fortunately he is such a good player there were plenty of suitors, and he eventually nominated St Kilda as his club of choice. The Bombers got Hawthorn involved in the bidding at one point, ensuring the Saints had to pay top dollar.

We did brilliantly well and won this trade period hands down

Hate to bring in some reality here, but did you see what Collingwood were able to get?

Treloar, Aish, De Goeyā€¦?

I hope picks 5 and 25 turns out to be as good as two of them, but that wonā€™t likely happen for a few years, whereas Collingwood will have an immediate boost even before the Anzac Day game.

De Goey was last year. Your thinking of Jeremy Howe. Pies did do very very well. They always do

Iā€™m happy with what we did too. We are coming from a long way back after taking massive hits. Slowly, slowly.

Sorry - I was using information from a post in another thread. I must confess I have better things to do than scan the Collingwood and/or AFL trades board, but had trusted in my fellow Blitzers. Nevertheless you would have to admit that Treloar and Aish are great trades. When have we ever brought in trades of that quality in the same year?

Wellman & Barnard

ā€¦

Wellman & Barnard were both drafted onto the list in 1995.

Both were unknown or relatively unknown at the time. They certainly did not have anything like the reputations they developed after coming to Windy Hill, nor like the reputations that Treloar and Aish currently have, even at this early stage of their careers.

in the past 2 years this Dodoro is responsible for the most positive month this football club has had. Great trade period, ticked the boxes for the national draft, (success will be judged in a couple of years), and then gave us all the feel good story with Tippa, Hams, and Wallis in the rookie draft.
Thanks Dodoro.

I am thinking of starting a ā€œCongrats, Disco!ā€ thread.

That way he will have as many BB congrats threads as he wears Bomber jackets.

He and Bomber just pocketed a cool $7million each for the land they bought near Geelong/Torquay.

Well done lads!

1 Like

Discos been making some pretty good decisions. Some for the club, and a big one for himself. Thats enough to retire on. But I reckon he loves his job.

Think of how many jackets he could buy with that.

3 Likes

Found this on his browser history.

Also this one