What annoys you about Essendon

I could go on about not shepherding or smothering or not backing up the ball-carrier…and that’s true, but really…if I’m honest…
The thing that annoys me most about Essendon is that they don’t put their hands up on the mark.
They don’t.
And how farking lazy is that.
How…farking…under 13’s level is that.
Put your hands up on the mark.
Look like you give a ■■■■.
Look, for just this moment, like a professional footballer on 300K pa.
If you do that enough then just maybe you’ll act like one.

12 Likes

Handballing to players under the pump. Sheets me.

13 Likes

+1 to the previous two posts.

And one of my own - the countdown video never lines up with the start of play. Either has to be cut off with 20-ish to go, or it finishes about a minute before the actual bounce. Very minor annoyance, but y’know

1 Like

what annoys me about essendon…

8 Likes

The spaghetti-arms tackling of many of our team.

Sure we have some great tacklers but so many others are no more than plastic traffic cones at a training session. Opposition players seem to just cruise by them, with an occasional outstretched arm simply brushed aside.

Everyone should be able to tackle correctly and pressure the opposition. Should be second nature at this level.

Is it a lack of skill? Of intensity? Of coaching? I suspect all three are poor at our club right now.

3 Likes

Is it our job to bring the passion?

8 Likes

The fact that we are both the umpires and the MRP’s little biotches!

100% red time farking goals!!! Every game we always allow 2/3 soft last min goals to end a quarter.

3 Likes

The fact we have just forgotten about how promising Ben Haynes looked for about 10 games in 2003.

6 Likes

As an aside - a Lions Assistant Coach told me they identified working the mark hard as a way to buy defenders up the ground extra seconds to setup. They couldn’t get players to buy in so when they were doing their review they started awarding points to each player who did it properly. It turbed into a competition amongst the players and now they are eager each week to see who won for the game.

2 Likes

It literally takes metres off the kick.
But I guess the statsmen don’t rate that sort of thing.

Thats all part of our constant striving for mediocrity. We aim for extreme mediocrity.

1 Like

those 1%s add up
it keeps the pressure up
it means players are constantly in the game trying to affect it

like that Hawthorn tactic of checking the man on the mark - no way our team would buy into it, as in all players doing it all the time.

3 Likes

We’re so damn passive.

2 Likes

I’m not going to play it down. There were probably a few days there where the 2012 supplements regime genuinely annoyed me.

1 Like

Meek leadership, on and off field

3 Likes

Just the difference between our demonstrated best and worst.

That as a club we let opposition sides kick sometimes 5 to 10 unanswered goals.

I hate losing, but it is inexcusable to lose in the way this side does.

That our zone is easier to pick apart than an Andrew Bolt article.

3 Likes

I find them hard to pick apart.

Of course, that is because to pick it apart you have to read at least some of it. I cannot bring myself to do that.

2 Likes

New age love fests

We’ve been getting constant reminders and updates about how the players care for each other.

I don’t give a fat rat’s clacker about whether or not the players care for each other unless it’s on the field in terms of a shepherd or backing up a team mate when the opposition gets physical.

Care more about playing the damn game and earning the dollars that you get paid for doing something you love.

No more touchy feely cr*p.

Win the hard ball…put your bodies on the line

Win the games you should win and be ■■■■■■ competitive if/when you lose

7 Likes