What should we get with our picks?

Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 20: Jarrod Berry (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 29: William Drew (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 41: Cedric Cox (North Ballarat Rebels)
There's some sort of a pattern there but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Seems a bit racist but is their skin colour getting darker?

I’d be surprised if we pick Drew. Disposal has a tendency to be rushed and scrappy under pressure, and we just don’t pick midfield guys with that particular weakness these days.

How’s Gallucci in that regard? I had an idea he was a bit of a ball butcher.

He’s not my favourite. His kicking can be a mixed bag. When he’s good he’s very good, but is very often unreliable.

DO. NOT. WANT.

At least not where we would need to take him to get him if this is true. Given skills have been one of our biggest problems for the better part of a decade none of our first 3 picks should have question marks on their kicking.

Scharenberg?

He strikes me as being very unremarkable with a lack of real standout qualities.

Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 20: Jarrod Berry (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 29: William Drew (North Ballarat Rebels) Pick 41: Cedric Cox (North Ballarat Rebels)

I’d be surprised if we pick Drew. Disposal has a tendency to be rushed and scrappy under pressure, and we just don’t pick midfield guys with that particular weakness these days.

He’s not my favourite. His kicking can be a mixed bag. When he’s good he’s very good, but is very often unreliable.

Couldn’t agree more with all of your above comments!

This is why i don’t get how people think he is a top 15 pick he is putrid. Especially with withers there could use him at halfback

I haven’t seen anything of Witherden myself, but if we went with Gallucci while Scharenberg is still on the board I’d be scratching my head pretty hard.

Scharenberg? He is a 45+ prospect for mine.

I only see him as an inside midfielder and looms slow bolted due to his gf performance

This is why i don’t get how people think he is a top 15 pick he is putrid. Especially with withers there could use him at halfback

I haven’t seen anything of Witherden myself, but if we went with Gallucci while Scharenberg is still on the board I’d be scratching my head pretty hard.

Just looks so composed on last years footage just seems to mark then nail the kick like patton when he plays back but much quicker

There is talk around the grounds that we are going full flog on English?
Is this good/ bad /putting all our bombs in one bucket or turning the draft on its dumb head? Should we fair dinkum go after a cracking Ruckman, then pick later mids/ forward or stick with a general consensus McClug/McGrath pick plan?

Scharenberg? He is a 45+ prospect for mine.

I only see him as an inside midfielder and looms slow bolted due to his gf performance

Colliwobble product, definatley not.

There is talk around the grounds that we are going full flog on English? Is this good/ bad /putting all our bombs in one bucket or turning the draft on its dumb head? Should we fair dinkum go after a cracking Ruckman, then pick later mids/ forward or stick with a general consensus McClug/McGrath pick plan?

It could happen.

Even draft and he is easily the best tall, and we have an absolute need for another ruck and to plan for when those we do have finish up.

There is always a premium on good talls as they are much harder to acquire. And he been spoken of like Dean Cox which is huge wraps.

WHY PICK HIM

English is the best ruckman in this year’s draft and may be one of the most exciting big men to come through the system in recent years. What makes the 205cm prospect most special is his ability to roam around the ground and pick up possessions. He has a genuine presence in the midfield.

The way English is prepared to fight for the ball at ground level gives him a point of difference from other ruckmen, and his skill level is also unusually high-class for someone his size. He is a nice link-up player through the midfield and is a confident user of the ball across the ground. He averaged 17 disposals in six games for South Fremantle’s reserves side and used it at 75 per cent efficiency.

English’s running ability has impressed, and at the NAB AFL Draft Combine he broke the 11-minute barrier in the 3km time-trial (running a final time of 10:55). His ruck work is quality, and he can also float forward to move naturally through the forward line and present a target there.

Interestingly in the above bio it says GWS a possibility for him at 2. They also have to plan for post Mummy and got mids coming out of ears with academy kids.

Were they foxing with McGrath talk?

And did we only cut McKernan knowing we definitely had a ruck lined up?

Fascinating.

I have never believed the McGrath talk. There are only negatives for them publicising this so why believe it?

I think taking a ruckman that early (1 or 2) given the lack of success of ruckman taken that early compared to later in the draft is a huge risk. Even ignoring the potential go home factor.

1. McCluggage
  2. Simpkin/Florent
  3. Clarke
  4. Atley
1. McCluggage 20. Simpkin/Florent 29. Clarke 41. Atley
Would love a hbf in their somewhere but otherwise good

MIDFIELDERS

McCluggage
20. Florent
29. Berry
41. Scharenberg

There is talk around the grounds that we are going full flog on English? Is this good/ bad /putting all our bombs in one bucket or turning the draft on its dumb head? Should we fair dinkum go after a cracking Ruckman, then pick later mids/ forward or stick with a general consensus McClug/McGrath pick plan?

It could happen.

Even draft and he is easily the best tall, and we have an absolute need for another ruck and to plan for when those we do have finish up.

There is always a premium on good talls as they are much harder to acquire. And he been spoken of like Dean Cox which is huge wraps.

WHY PICK HIM

English is the best ruckman in this year’s draft and may be one of the most exciting big men to come through the system in recent years. What makes the 205cm prospect most special is his ability to roam around the ground and pick up possessions. He has a genuine presence in the midfield.

The way English is prepared to fight for the ball at ground level gives him a point of difference from other ruckmen, and his skill level is also unusually high-class for someone his size. He is a nice link-up player through the midfield and is a confident user of the ball across the ground. He averaged 17 disposals in six games for South Fremantle’s reserves side and used it at 75 per cent efficiency.

English’s running ability has impressed, and at the NAB AFL Draft Combine he broke the 11-minute barrier in the 3km time-trial (running a final time of 10:55). His ruck work is quality, and he can also float forward to move naturally through the forward line and present a target there.

Interestingly in the above bio it says GWS a possibility for him at 2. They also have to plan for post Mummy and got mids coming out of ears with academy kids.

Were they foxing with McGrath talk?

And did we only cut McKernan knowing we definitely had a ruck lined up?

Fascinating.

What would he be like compared to Tom Goodwin?

Really don't want Marshall. I've seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.

Marshall at 20 is a great get. I rate him higher than Harry McKay who was a top 10 pick.

Completely disagree. You’d take Harry McKay in a heart beat ahead of Marshall. Marshall over Ben McKay maybe.

I’ve preferred what I’ve seen of Sproule to Marshall. Seems more versatile, good attack on the ball, and would probably be cheaper.

Marshall’s got as high a ceiling as I’ve seen in a kpf for a long time, but he’s very raw. Every so often he’ll turn it on for a qtr and you’ll say ‘holy crap’ cos it looks like he has it all, but he has a lot of development to do. Gets lost at times on the field, doesn’t really have th nous to work his way into a game when he’s been quiet, his set shot action is so casual it’s kinda unsettling, and his upper body has all the muscular development of a drinking straw. But he’s got incredibly clean hands below his knees, pace, leap, change of direction, and can crash a pack. Good instincts when he doesn’t stop to think. Clubs will back in their development program with him.

Sproule shapes as a much lower pick to me. Has been in the GWS Academy for years so is a long way more advanced development-wise. He’s a competent, hard-working, hard-running kpp with good size and who can play either end - though I think he’s a better backman. I don’t think he has the upside or wow factor, that thing that says ‘this kid could be a star because he does X really really well’ He’s a handy rebounding backman, though less so when he has to mind the #1 forward. He intercept marks well, but again, I’ve seen him do this best when he’s free to roam a bit because Garthwaite or someone has been taking the opposing #1 forward - he hasn’t really shown the instinct for when to zone off that the very best have, at least not while I’ve seen him. He can kick a goal, though he’s not an imposing fwd presence. I like his defensive running up forward. But as a candidate for the next level up? Hmmm.

Thanks, will definitely back your read over mine (coming from limited “highlight” viewing).

If going a tall fwd, do you take Marshall over Battle?

Dodoro: “it will be a midefidler”

McCluggage 20. Florent 29. Berry 41. Scharenberg

I’d be very happy with that. I don’t think Berry or Scharenbererg will last that long and Florent shouldn’t but probably will be there unless the dogs take him.

Really don't want Marshall. I've seen a few of his games, lacks effort and reminds me on Liam jones.

Marshall at 20 is a great get. I rate him higher than Harry McKay who was a top 10 pick.

Completely disagree. You’d take Harry McKay in a heart beat ahead of Marshall. Marshall over Ben McKay maybe.

I’ve preferred what I’ve seen of Sproule to Marshall. Seems more versatile, good attack on the ball, and would probably be cheaper.

Marshall’s got as high a ceiling as I’ve seen in a kpf for a long time, but he’s very raw. Every so often he’ll turn it on for a qtr and you’ll say ‘holy crap’ cos it looks like he has it all, but he has a lot of development to do. Gets lost at times on the field, doesn’t really have th nous to work his way into a game when he’s been quiet, his set shot action is so casual it’s kinda unsettling, and his upper body has all the muscular development of a drinking straw. But he’s got incredibly clean hands below his knees, pace, leap, change of direction, and can crash a pack. Good instincts when he doesn’t stop to think. Clubs will back in their development program with him.

Sproule shapes as a much lower pick to me. Has been in the GWS Academy for years so is a long way more advanced development-wise. He’s a competent, hard-working, hard-running kpp with good size and who can play either end - though I think he’s a better backman. I don’t think he has the upside or wow factor, that thing that says ‘this kid could be a star because he does X really really well’ He’s a handy rebounding backman, though less so when he has to mind the #1 forward. He intercept marks well, but again, I’ve seen him do this best when he’s free to roam a bit because Garthwaite or someone has been taking the opposing #1 forward - he hasn’t really shown the instinct for when to zone off that the very best have, at least not while I’ve seen him. He can kick a goal, though he’s not an imposing fwd presence. I like his defensive running up forward. But as a candidate for the next level up? Hmmm.

Thanks, will definitely back your read over mine (coming from limited “highlight” viewing).

If going a tall fwd, do you take Marshall over Battle?

Probably, though it won’t be a question we have to concern ourselves with because Marshall will be gone before our second pick.

Battle is very different to Marshall in almost every way, but he carries significant bust potential too.

Potential is such a bull.sh.it word.
Because once a player exceeds expectations then sky’s the limit.

Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage Pick 20: Jarrod Berry if Gone Jy Simpkin Pick 29: Graham/Scharenberg Pick 41: Tall Ruck/Forward prospect

Looks as though Berry and Simpkin will be gone before pick 20.
Changed 41 from Tall/Ruck to Rioli/Long as I think one of them will still be there at this pick. And we can choose A Ruck/Tall with 68 or in rookie draft.

1 McLuggage Classy Outside/Inside Mid
20 Simpkin if gone Veneables Most talented left of top 20. Possibly Witherden we actually may need a half back flanker.
29 Scharenberg if gone Graham or Clarke Inside Mid
41 Rioli/Long X Factor
68 Tall/Ruck if no one we like X Richards or pick him up as a DFA

Unless Marshall/Battle/English fall to 20. I think we try and get a tall with a late/rookie pick. And Rookie a Ruckman.

I think all of Berry, Venables and Simpkin will all be gone by 20.