What was your favourite board game? Throwback Thursday

My first game of Risk the two experienced opponents smashed each other and I took over the world really easy.

Second game, I was out quick and they slogged each other to death for aaaaaaaages.

I've always wanted to play Risk

You can get it as a computer game if you want to try it.

Then: Cluedo and Trivial Pursuit.
Now: Pandemic, Ticket To Ride and Android: Netrunner

Love Pandemic. Also Settlers of Catan.

For "dinner party" type board games 5 second rule and Articulate.

Cranium

It’s a really good adult game.

I've always wanted to play Risk

You can get it as a computer game if you want to try it.

Or the Doctor Who version with daleks!!!!

Me and big bro used to play test match all the time.  The old man glued the felt pitch to a piece of hardboard and when you hit the ball it just rolled beautifully.

This reminded me of my friend who we played Test Match on a snooker table!

Even Americans like Test Match.
(Yes, that‘s me on the left. Note the pitch is permanently attached to the white board. At Cornell Uni, ~1988)

This reminds me....

I spotted these "classic" board games in Kmart one day: 

who-is-it-e1406039222411.jpg

lineup-e1406039194892.jpg

dontfall-e1406039137409.jpg

This reminds me....
I spotted these "classic" board games in Kmart one day:
who-is-it-e1406039222411.jpg
lineup-e1406039194892.jpg
dontfall-e1406039137409.jpg

What blasphemy is this!

Had Test Match, that was probably the favourite until Freddie Truman's Test Match was invented.

And while not the old school board game, as such, it was a table top game.

As far as Board games go, the one that's not mentioned here is Totopoly.

We used to play it at our holiday house at Rye on the wet days.

It was an English game based around horse racing.

You owned a couple of horses, had some bills come in, but none of the preamble matters a toss once everyone got their horse to the starting line, which I think everyone did.

Because the winner of the game was the winner of the race, which was completely based on rolls of the die.

My first game of Risk the two experienced opponents smashed each other and I took over the world really easy.

Second game, I was out quick and they slogged each other to death for aaaaaaaages.

so in the first game you USA and in the second game you were the French.

This. Loved it as a kid. Still wish I had it. Could kick goals from the pocket.

pic1231484_md_zpscd42920c.jpg

pic1231483_md_zps1f73f045.jpg

This. Loved it as a kid. Still wish I had it. Could kick goals from the pocket.

pic1231484_md_zpscd42920c.jpg

pic1231483_md_zps1f73f045.jpg

I had the one to follow in "Kick A Goal" that the old NFL released...ground was all gridded up (and then I decided to mark 50m lines on it!)

Test Match was great, i even had the little clip on scoreboard. The only problem was none of my mates wanted to play it (losers!).
I loved test match.....played by myself and had a score sheet for each team....
Mousetrap was fun when the frigging thing would actually work.
Cluedo and Monopoly got a fair run in my house but I would get bored of them pretty quickly.

Loved Cleudo and Mastermind

Zilch. 

A better dice game than Yatzee. 

Played with 6 dice.

Scoring.

1 = 100.

5 = 50

3 of a kind x 100 e.g. 3 x 5 = 500.

Special throws. 

3 x 1 = 1,000

1,2,3,4,5,6 in one throw = 1,500

any 3 pair in one throw = 1,500

6 of a kind = 2,000 (this is a score l have added to the basic game)

Score on all 6 dice, you can pick them all up and go again. 

f you score on 5 dice such as with a 1, 5, and a three of a kind, and the last dice would make it 4 of a kind, you get no extra score, but you can pick all 6 up and throw again, it is a freeby.   

Failure to score with 6 dice in one throw is called a golden zilch. 

How to play. 

Set a target score before the start of the game, say 10,000. 

To get into the game every player needs a score of 500. Each time you throw you need to leave at least one scoring dice on the table. You can sit at any time after you have your opening score of 500. You can keep on throwing as long as you score. If you don't score on any throw, you get zilch. Four zilches in a row and you lose 1,000 points. You can have 4 zilches at the start and lose a thousand points, but you still only need to roll 500 to get into the game (even though your score then would be - 500).

How to win.  

Once someone gets past the target score, every other player gets one turn to beat them, regardless of their own score, they have to keep throwing the dice, to either win or bust. Once a player reaches the target score than can keep going if they want, to make it harder for others in a close game. 

Chance. 

This is another element of the game, one that l added. Before the game starts agree on how many chances you can each have. In the game if one player sits on a high score with only a couple of dice left to throw, the other player can take a chance, to build on to the higher score, by rolling just the remaining dice. You can't use a chance to get into the game you have to roll your own 500 points, nor can you use a chance to go out, you need to use it in the game, not to beat the winning score. lf you have more than 3 people playing, the person whose turn is next has the first option to take the chance. However if they decline, the person after them could take the chance even though they throw out of turn. The person scoring needs to keep track of whose turn if the chance throws are taken out of sequence. The throws then revert back to sequence after the chance is taken. Chances can be added on to. So, if the player who takes the chance scores and then sits, someone else can then take a chance on the total combined score.   

There is one other variation on the chance, called German chance. l named it that after a German girl who wanted to allow chance to be taken after every throw.     

Even Americans like Test Match.
(Yes, that‘s me on the left. Note the pitch is permanently attached to the white board. At Cornell Uni, ~1988)

Holy ■■■■ you went to uni with Spike Lee

Spike Lee would consider that comment RACIST.