What was your favourite outdoors school game? - Throwback Thursday

Playing in the cricket nets with the cork inner of a cricket ball (no protective gear, full pace) was always fun until we got busted because someone couldn’t play a short ball and fractured their eye socket.

Brandy, before they banned it, in primary school (more or less British Bulldog). 

Good old kick to kick was always my favourite in high-school, until girls became interesting, and even then, there was always time for kick to kick, and girls... 

brandy for me too, preferably gang brandy. still remember watching Luke ***** run headlong into the net ball post because he was watching me as i prepared to throw the ball at him. 

also remember hitting a teacher by accident and skillfully turning and walking in the opposite direction :)

knuckling the ball away was always so satisfying.

got banned out our school when we changed from a tennis ball to a squash ball and a few people got hurt.

I think we started to wet the ball, but they were onto it before then anyway. 

and to be clear brandy is not dodge-ball

Brandy was just Tag with a tennis ball right? Whomever was tagged then threw the ball.

Our school played dodgeball in the gym rather than outside. 6 volleyballs in a game.

actually i think dodgeball was called poison ball here.

and yes brandy is tag with a tennis ball - we used to play gang brandy so that as each person was struck more and more people became 'it' at the same time.

You weren't really tagged with the ball, so much as smashed with it full pelt from a distance. 

I was the fastest runner in primary school so gang-up chasings was my favourite when we got a big group together - loved having 30-odd people all trying and failing to catch me by the end.

British bulldogs was great, though the grazed knees were brutal.

Brandings (we didn't call it brandy or murder ball) was good fun, though less so when soft ■■■■■ decided that hits to the head didn't count.

Soccer sqaush was also fun. Two people would kick a soccer ball against a wall, usually in a relatively small mostly-enclosed courtyard. You could only touch the ball once, and you lost if the ball rebounded back to the front wall before you took your kick, if you missed the front wall with your kick (though you could use other walls and obstacles to rebound it on to the front wall), or if you kicked the ball too high or hit one of the downpipes on the front wall. Loser would join the back of the queue, winner would play the next person.

We also had a really great principal who would come down to the oval every lunchtime and join a huge game of kick-to-kick. There would often be 8 or so footies and maybe 60 kids involved, of all ages. He would hand out lollies to kids who took good marks or nailed torps.

High school was mainly four-square, sometimes scaled up to 12 square if we had a lot of players.

Playing in the cricket nets with the cork inner of a cricket ball (no protective gear, full pace) was always fun until we got busted because someone couldn't play a short ball and fractured their eye socket.

I got my front teeth knocked out in a similar incident. 

Build up Brandy was awesome.  Start with one person who is 'it', then as they hit people with the Tenno they also get a tenno and start hooking into everyone else.  Great fun.

Build up Brandy was awesome.  Start with one person who is 'it', then as they hit people with the Tenno they also get a tenno and start hooking into everyone else.  Great fun.

Haha, so if you had 20 people playing, you would eventually have 20 tennis balls flying around? Sounds awesome!

Our primary school was weird. Our year we had about 20 boys & 5 girls. The year above was the opposite, 20 girls & 5 boys.

So we decided to take them on in rockwars. One end of the oval vs the other, can't go past a certain point (was a line where the sandpit was at the school end, can't remember the other), rocks only as big as you can throw, and that was pretty much it - go for it.

We almost always won, Nick *****os from grade 6 almost always ended up with a smashed face because he was a freaking wanker and the obvious target.

I was like the 2nd smallest & scrawniest kid/most unco in my grade but I played baseball so I could throw with the best of them. Loved brandy, wall brandy (pretty much peg a tennis ball from a short distance), and rockwars. Tag & 4-square etc, I was pretty much fail city.

Anyone else have 40/40? Something about counting to 40, and you have to spot people from a certain point before they get to you?

Brandy, before they banned it, in primary school (more or less British Bulldog). 

Good old kick to kick was always my favourite in high-school, until girls became interesting, and even then, there was always time for kick to kick, and girls... 

brandy for me too, preferably gang brandy. still remember watching Luke ***** run headlong into the net ball post because he was watching me as i prepared to throw the ball at him. 

also remember hitting a teacher by accident and skillfully turning and walking in the opposite direction :)

knuckling the ball away was always so satisfying.

got banned out our school when we changed from a tennis ball to a squash ball and a few people got hurt.

I think we started to wet the ball, but they were onto it before then anyway. 

and to be clear brandy is not dodge-ball

Brandy was just Tag with a tennis ball right? Whomever was tagged then threw the ball.

Our school played dodgeball in the gym rather than outside. 6 volleyballs in a game.

actually i think dodgeball was called poison ball here.

and yes brandy is tag with a tennis ball - we used to play gang brandy so that as each person was struck more and more people became 'it' at the same time.

You weren't really tagged with the ball, so much as smashed with it full pelt from a distance. 

fair point

Our primary school was weird. Our year we had about 20 boys & 5 girls. The year above was the opposite, 20 girls & 5 boys.

So we decided to take them on in rockwars. One end of the oval vs the other, can't go past a certain point (was a line where the sandpit was at the school end, can't remember the other), rocks only as big as you can throw, and that was pretty much it - go for it.

We almost always won, Nick *****os from grade 6 almost always ended up with a smashed face because he was a freaking wanker and the obvious target.

I was like the 2nd smallest & scrawniest kid/most unco in my grade but I played baseball so I could throw with the best of them. Loved brandy, wall brandy (pretty much peg a tennis ball from a short distance), and rockwars. Tag & 4-square etc, I was pretty much fail city.

Anyone else have 40/40? Something about counting to 40, and you have to spot people from a certain point before they get to you?

40/40 home

In primary school had a teacher join in with brandy some times, threw absolute lasers he did.Went to a small primary school with about 20 people in my grade, but about 40 of us used to play kick to kick, whoever dropped the ball first got pelted with tennis balls thrown from the others.

Also when you were old enough (read able to play interschool sport) you got to play indoor cricket in the GP room. Basically just bowling and batting until the batter got out.

Four square was cracking. Always been a big lad so my superior reach meant there was no chance of getting the ball past me. My downfall usually came from errant shots as the rapid growth meant little control over the velocity of my limbs.

Wasn't fast, so in Brandy had to resort to ambushes and such. Proper Vietnam sht. I'm pretty sure stories are still circulated at my school to this day about the successful pings from second floor windows and behind lockers.

Needs more cops and robbers

At Parade College, we used to play Handball.

Man, the knuckles copped a beating…
f78bedd1ab8c62ad87e82c749659a9bc_zps1b02

I was a 90’s primary school kid so handball was the fad

Then game boys were the rage when pokemon started until they were banned (Game boys)

Footy wasn’t on the list (I was a QLD’er at the time)

Gang up.  The call would go around at the start of lunch time, and the group would gather.  Two people would be chosen as "it", the rest would run off.  There were signs to display if you were "it" or "free" (hands crossed to opposite shoulders for "it", both hands up in the air for "free").  If someone showed you their sign you had to show yours, and you couldn't fake, or you were automatically "it" for next game.  Those that were "it" couldn't just tag others with one hand to get them out, they had to be tagged with two hands crossed at the wrist (like the "no deal" gesture!).  Kept going til all were out.  Some people worked strategically, others just ran like hell!

Was all about the ball sports at primary school. During summer we used the thirds lines on the netball courts as pitches, bins at each end (our groundsman, a Tassie footy legend named John Leedham painted stumps on the bins.) in winter the netball courts were soccer pitches

At my high school the gym was open every day, and I was in there playing Basketball 90% of the time

British Bulldogs. You could seriously just wreck c***s

My man.

Coin soccer was a good one during wet days…only need a 20 cent piece, tables and your hands

40/40 home

I forgot about "Home" and "Ghost Tiggy".  We had a fort at my second primary school and we played "Ghost Tiggy" on that.  Also had a game where people played brandy from the ground aiming at people on the fort.  Not sure why or even the game's specifics now, but it was probably for variety and was fun when we played it.

For ten or more players.

Throw a tennis ball against a wall, bouncing it on the ground first.

The closest person to the rebound must catch it or they are out.

You don't have to be closest to decide to catch it.

If the ball hits the wall behind the players on the full then the thrower is out.

Don't know what people called it.

Yep, spent many an hour playing this one too. I still get the urge to play some of these things after all these years!