What would you do if you were in charge?

I thought it was more of a Logans Run theme

I’m comfortable that both Daniher and Fantasia will play a lot of football in the future. They’re 26 and 24 respectively. OP is a ■■■■■ but once you’re over it you’re usually over it. The main thing is getting a full throated commitment to the club rather than a half arsed maybe.

I don’t think he wants to coach but yes. Hang on he has never coached before who will be his mentor?

If I was put in charge id do the following

• Spend the first year getting my head around the financials, compliance reporting, audits, risk registers, legal, ohs, HR etc. First port of call is I’m not getting sued
  • spend most of the games hobnobbing with the coteries, have to keep them on side and hey I may as well network while i’ve got the chance.
  • make sure im well connected to the AFL as they are the number 1 stakeholder and i need to ensure ive got a strong relationship there.
  • better keep the big sponsors on side too, should meet with them regularly
  • in the quarterly catch ups with footy staff id at try and think of a curly question to at least appear knowledgeable. things like hey Truck dont you think it would be smart to play 2 KPFs, or hey Dodoro wouldn’t it be a good idea to recruit some payers that can kick the footy,

And there you have it, I can then spin this gig into hopefully better paying corporate gigs in the future, ka-ching.

You dont think the above is pretty much every club director league wide…

2 Likes

Is buying more poki venues an option?

1 Like

I’d start off picking my board so they can make the hard decisions
Hard,tough,uncompromising characters, all with different skill sets.
In no order of importance,heres a couple Id have no hesitation in getting on board:

1. Michael Corleone
    Pregame motivation, reputedly really good at getting his message across.
    Able to install a white line fever into a group at will.

2.Jordan Belfort
Jordan will be well suited as our main conduit to the AFL.
He will blend in beautifully with the other selfish,egomanic sharks and
should be able to increase revenue in very creative ways.
3.Yoda
There is no question we need to turn our culture around.
This guy has the runs on the board,and if you can’t see the resemblence between Gil and the Evil Emperor of the dark side, you should see a doctor.
4.Arny
Having learnt our lessons from a failed supplement program,it makes perfect sense to start another one with a guy that won many Mr.Universes with enough steroids to kill a Rhino.
“The Weapon?” Pfffftt.

5.Mick Dundee
We need a comeback year? Who better than this sharp talkin,knife weilding,Boomerang throwin’ lad.
We need to get our brand back.With great links to the land,
and indigenous relations-Mick is our man to find our next Long,Wanganeen,or Riolil.

2 Likes

If I was in-charge this would get the players going…211

After much painstaking research and contemplation I have come up with a plan. If I was in charge, I would scour the whole of Australia for a coaching possibility whose DNA most closely matched that of D. Reynolds and K. Sheedy.

The first sentence of this doesn’t match the rest.

1. Remove Woosha
  2. Create a new club core value list - team success - premierships is number one. Every decision within the club should be linked to winning premierships. Other core values need to community engagement, inclusive etc. They all need to be drawn back to winning a flag
  3. Hold a presser. Explain that there will be a full external review. All positions in the club will be looked at including the board.
  4. internal meeting with all players, staff and coaches explaining the new core values. No request for input - this is the new standard. Door is open to anyone who can’t fully commit
  5. Trade/delist anyone who can’t fully commit - thank for services.
  6. this is the hardest one but boot Rutten. Not his fault but was hired under the old structure. New head coach must go through a proper interview process - identify if he/she best fits the new core values of the club. He can re-apply if wanted
  7. No excuses from now on. call out that the club expects to make/win finals from now on. every year. That is the bare minimum.
  8. increase training standards. Shiel was told to slow down on the track when he came to esssendon. We must be one of the hardest training teams
  9. New recruitment team. Dodo must go. Recruit footy players. no project players. recruit players with a hard edge who demand excellence.
  10. Aggressive game style. Swans 06 is the only team in 30 years who have won a flag playing defensively. …
  11. new captain - Dyson is fine but it needs to be a reset for the club

That’s just the stuff off the top of my head for day one. I’m sure i could think of many others given some time.

3 Likes

No changes. Everything going beautifully

• Get the players into the room and find out about any division they have. Any player not willing to go in the same direction as the club and give 110% effort, then I will tell them to ■■■■ off on the spot.

• End Woosha’s reign as a coach. Thank you and goodbye.

• I will call Rutten into my office and find out what is with this game plan that players are not understanding and then unable to execute it. If it is defensive football it is still fine but how are then opposition teams slicing through so easily. Teach it better or change it and simplyfy it. If you can’t get an on field change within mid point next year, you can ■■■■ off too.

1 Like

There’s a direct correlation between the most vocal and vehement commentators and the simplest, laziest and shallowest plans to fix things.

7 Likes

My plan would be pretty simple.

Appoint Paul Roos as head coach on a two year contract, and Luke Hodge as his chief assistant. Let them nominate who else they want for other coaching positions and Football Manager, Fitness Coach, etc.

Re-set Strategic Plan or goals or whatever you want to call it with number one being to achieve consistent and sustained success in the AFL competition by winning premierships. All other goals to be ancillary to number one.

I’d also implement a policy of having no involvement with gambling and accepting no sponsorships related to gambling.

1 Like

Perfectly articulated.
Your time as coach is well and truly up, and with all due respect, there’s the door.

If I was in charge of the team, rather than the club, as others have already mentioned there would be a state of the union address to the players.
And it wouldn’t be pretty.
The leadership group would be three people, and they would all be chosen by the coach.
The new game plan would be very basic, and I’d tell everyone, media, supporters, anyone, what it is.
That game plan would include leading towards the ball-carrier, keeping the ground ball in front of you, staying goal-side of opposition forwards at stoppages, watching the opposing ball-carriers hips, and hitting with the shoulder with the intent to bring them to ground.
Oh, and after you handball, you shepherd.
Things like that.
The goal of any given game would be to defeat our opponents, not perfect a game plan, and certainly not hit KPI’s.
KPI’s are, the hint is in the name, indicators of performance in key areas. I feel like some people get that backwards.
Anyway, to that end I would pay a lot more attention to our opponent strategist.
I’d have no problem with tagging backmen if necessary.
I’d have certain…aggressive tactics to neutralise an opponent’s spare man in defence.
The bench would be used to correct decision errors and lack of effort.
As would the VFL.

While I’m at it, it would be a team rule that any player that gets a set shot within forty metres takes the shot.
No exceptions.
None.
Ever.
And any professional footballers that can’t hit that target two times out of three won’t be playing a lot of senior games until they show that they can.

I would get Ben Simmons and Elon Musk in a room together and start planning the move to Oakland as the AFL (soon to be the GWWFL or Gil’s Wide World of Football League) and then get Elon to bank roll an expedition to the sun using cannon power. Load the board, the coaches, the admin staff, the sauces, the players, the boot studders, Jackets and his offsiders, esports and anyone else involved in the club or the running of the club, oh and Zlarke into the cannon powered shuttle and launch this brave crew of solar explorers into the atmosphere on an express route to the sun. But I know deep down it’ll never get that far…

The shuttle will make it to just either side of Earth’s atmosphere and either fall short and drop limply into the face of the Earth and explode in a depressing manner or upon breaching the atmosphere and entering the space beyond our own planet, be smashed to pieces by a far more impressive comet that has way more right to be in space than we do.

You make the most impactful move first.

Sack Dodoro.

Nice hypothesis :joy:

Thanks, mate!

1 Like