What would you do if you were in charge?

Gut the club of any staff and board members who were there in 2012.

Don’t hire anyone who used to work here either. Times have changed and we need to evolve

6 Likes

Think its a terrible time to hit the draft hard.

Wait until the year after. It will be swelling with talent as a result of the covid interruption this year.

1 Like

ask for patience

18 Likes

This forum has asked for my opinion and iv given it.

We need a hard rebuild. This list is cooked. No passion, disgruntled players, unmotivated, no cohesion, no accountability. The list goes on.

Dodoros put us in a bad spot as we havnt had a 1st round pick since 2016. We need to trade out for picks and hit the draft. Plus getting rid of the players over 23 would be the step before rebuilding the culture.

1 Like

Id agree that the club needs to move leadership on past the Saga.

To that end I would ask Heppell to step aside as Captain and focus on his footy.

I would build the leadership around Merrett, McGrath, Shiel, Saad and Ridley. Perhaps Stringer.

The existing senior group that played through the saga to move into mentorships or retirement/trade depending on the stage of their career.

Put my feet on the desk, drink all of X’s office whisky stash, draft an email to all members saying after an external review by well-known football identity Jake Carlisle we have to agree with his findings that “Club’s farked” and we are now pivoting hard into the esports space and further diversifying by selling cheap surfboards to chumps at the wave pool, then write two letters and leave.

EDIT: Might also sell members personal details to Russian bots and Nigerian princes to help keep the bottom line healthy.

6 Likes

You need a coach that can really get the players’ buy in.

Any team sport from the juniors up is coached with ‘train the way you want to play’, and drilled with focus on the ‘process and not the outcome’. While this may ring true, this has lead to our demise with Woosha. I understand that doing 100 shots at goal at the end of training will ultimately make you a better goal kicker - but the problem with our list is between the ears!

I want an old style coach who will make the week all about the team we’re playing, show the team a video of last years’ game where we got rolled, and fire up the players and make it more personal. Sheedy used to do this. I’m sure other teams circle our game in the fixture and get especially revved up for it.

Fagan has this ability. Bucks has it. Clarko has it. Sheeds had it. Hird had it.

What makes you think Truck doesn’t?

I’d do wonderful magical things.

2 Likes

Make arrangements to infiltrate the afl commission

2 Likes

I would boot worsfold out of the club and straight to the curb.

And I would publicly put the players on notice that poor performances will no longer be tolerated.

End of the season I would gut the list and load up on draft picks.

I would get a cannon company to sponsor the club

I would cripple a little boy and put him in the hospital to inspire the players

3 Likes

3 Likes

Crawl into the fetal position in the corner and cry

1 Like

Implement purposeful, innovative, learnings across the organisation. Obviously.

3 Likes

Best practise review of successful sports clubs globally. No point trying to reinvent wheel. Success has been built before. Find out how and adapt to suit our game and our market. But dont limit it to AFL and dont limit it to the USA

So you want to BORE every spectator to death? You are another Dr Evil!

Relocate us to the inner Northern suburbs of Melbourne, rename us the Victorian Inner North Melbourne Bombers, enjoy the 85 first-round concession picks that the AwFuL would give us.
Play our home games on a cow-paddock in the middle of bumfuck, and be given salary concessions to poach the best talent from the other clubs. Coached by Guy McKenna of course… What could go wrong?

Institute a club wide learning program.

Build Essington stadium.

Its going to fall apart after 3 months but it will be a fun ride

2 Likes