What would you do if you were in charge?

Falls apart by June, right?

1 Like

STEP 1: Use club funds to construct a giant cannon.

STEP 2: Put entire club into said cannon.

STEP 3: You know what Step 3 is.

2 Likes

That means trading out no less than 23 players. Depending on viewpoint that’s around 17 or so of our best 22.
That’s 23 conversations of “we dont care how well you’ve performed, you’re over 23, so you’re out”.
That helps improve culture?

Don’t forget the under 23 guys who will get the cannon - likely Mutch/Begley/Hibberd/Clarke (plus maybe 2 others) - that’s 27 guys to replace. That’s a lot of guys a long way down the draft. In a year that has had virtually no exposed form for draftees.

Guelfi is now our 3rd most experienced player - current tally of 37 games. After delisting the 4 above, we now have only 8 players with more than 10 games experience. And only 11 guys left who have played any senior football.

Amazing plan.

4 Likes

You didn’t get the Soylent Green reference did you.
To clarify;

Spoiler Alert; Soylent Green is made from the corpses of old people.

1 Like

You mean the Club should be taken over by an oil-rich Middle Eastern country who’s prepared to spend billions and rort every financial regulation going?
Fair enough.

1 Like

There may be some hidden gems in Round 36 of the draft, who knows what pick 156 may unearth.

2 Likes

Lol i can’t be bothered arguing with you. The culture is as bad as it gets right now. A hard rebuild will not make the culture worse that is literally insane.

A rebuid must happen either this year or next year and it doesnt all have to happen within one year but it must happen.

Right now more than anything I’d make a shift towards greater transparency.

ld have the coaches explain what the gameplan is and why its falling down and where we can get improvement and what we are working on to get that improvement.

2 Likes

You talk about changing the culture as if you actually have some idea of how to go about it, and yet you haven’t elaborated on it once, besides “get rid of anyone who’s ever had the chance to disappoint me slightly”. If you’re going to change the culture of a 150 year old organisation, you might want to have some semblance of a plan

1 Like

Implement a no undies Monday policy.

5 Likes

Buy Blitz off Riolio and ban all whingers.

If my precious little players didn’t have to worry about getting bullied online, they would certainly play better.

Oh and one other thing…no farking EDM sh*t music allowed anywhere near the club…just back to back metal to give them an angry edge

And tats for all players will be mandatory

And dreadlocks…lots of dreadlocks

8 Likes

Right and youre saying to me that the culture has been exactly the same that entire 150 years? Its completely different now to what it was in the 80’s,90’s and 00’s.

Just bring it back to basics. A great example is kevin sheedy. He came in with hardly any experience as a coach but saw that the change rooms were a mess and the players themselves were happy with making finals alone. He cleaned the place up and started demanding certain standards.

Kevin stood up at the after party in 1983 when the bombers lost and said to the guys something along the lines of “if youre happy with just making a grand final then you will never win one” and some people at the club got offended and wanted him out. He even threatened the players to put the boots on himself.

Its pretty simple you need leaders who call out the BS and lead by example. The clubs values are wrong and it stems down the rest of the club.

You want me to elaborate on something which is completely hypothetical and admittedly easier said then done. I am not god but i am entitled to my opinion as everyone else is here on blitz so leave me alone.

2 Likes

Is that what I said? :astonished:

Wow must have autocorrected all those words I typed.

7 Likes

First thing I would do is appointed some good people to be my second in charge
giphy (25)

2 Likes

A few of us have taken the p155 with this thread, but I am going to have a serious go at it.

1. I would call the football department together and advise them 2020 is over. All the focus will be about 2021. Won’t chuck games away a la Dean Bailey, but is time to find out as much as we can on list management, game plan and assistant coaches. However, Woosha to be moved on asap respectfully.

2. Bring in 3 of the most respected ex. football managers not involved in any other club, e.g. Ross Lyon, sign an NDA, and perform a detailed review of our football department. This includes one on one in-confidence interviews with all football department staff and players. The 3 interviewers then compare notes to develop a discovery piece on what they thought were the strengths and weaknesses of the club from their perspective

3. With the use of a QC who can tease out the key and relevant information, co-ordinate a formal documented response for the eyes of the Club President only

4. Do the exact same thing for the Administration, e.g. marketing, finance, risk & governance, the Board and Executive Team. Perhaps use industry experts such as PWC (we have Brasher and young Andy McGrath dad’s connection)

5. Armed with the discovery artefacts, the Club President further consults with industry experts (may include some of the interviewers), to determine what structural changes are required to bring Essendon back to industry best practice. Armed with clear directives

6. At the backroom, co-ordinate a spilling of the Board working with Coterie and other powerful members, but with the Club President’s role guaranteed to remain

7. Clean out the joint if required. Let the survivors of the purge get on with what’s required. Start interviewing vacancies.

8. All this time ensure the sponsors and members are fully informed of progress. Transparency is key. Ensure finances remain strong

9. Above all, please make sure the #1 organisation priority is Premiership success, not some other bullsheet measure.

5 Likes

Implement a supplements program.

SACK THE BOARD

I’d hire a PI get dirt in the AFL and blackmail a premiership

9 Likes

Best plan yet…so how do we go about doing this??