What would you do if you were in charge?

External review . New recruitment team . Gut and rebuild . Trade most decent 27 + players over the next 2 years . Not sold on Rutten ,see review . Ratten had the Saints playing his brand of footy from day one of the season . If the new plan is what we are seeing now I hope the review sees in a new , new coach .

Get L Hodge

3 Likes

I would execute everyone on the BRW 200 rich list, liquidate their assets and distribute the money equally among the poorest 25% of Australian residents. I would repeat this process annually for the next decade.

-edit- sorry, only read the thread title, not the first post

3 Likes

The Fawkner flu might make a comeback.

At least I can understand this bird’s game plan.

If I were in charge I’d be straight on the phone to Gill.

I would ask the players 1-1, then collectively, why they are playing AFL footy.

I just get this sense that too many of our guys are focused on individual outcomes, and aren’t willing to risk their career, for the chance to actually win premierships as a team.

Teams that win, have collective buy in to the ‘why’ - what’s the purpose of the club/squad/team. We have a collection of players, not a team.

I would demand that we play McKenna on a wing
Neither forward or back
Clubs problems solved

In/

A few things:

1. Take a hard look at the list and make decision to trade or cut players who will not be a part of the next premiership. This means that any remaining sense of obligation due to the Saga needs to be removed.
  2. Ask Daniher to immediately commit to either staying or leaving so club can plan around it.
  3. Ask McKenna to either commit to playing where he is most needed for the TEAM or trade him. This will send a message that the team comes first.
  4. Look at the coaching staff, and work with Rutten and Cara to lean on a data-driven approach (I know this sounds cliched but sporting clubs all around the world are successfully implementing this as an AID to coaching).
  5. I love Dodoro and all he accomplished with one hand tied behind his back but either get him a more modern support staff or replace him.

We are in good shape off the field but that can disappear in a hurry. The only way to sustain that is to show progress and wins on the field. Our supporter base is a huge magnet for sponsors (unlike a North or a Doggies). The worst thing that can happen is that the supporters get turned off. That will be a poison pill.

I would implement purposeful innovation.

2 Likes

GIF image

1 Like

This is the best thread I’ve ever seen.

Simpsons and Seinfeld references never fail.

I thought it was more of a Logans Run theme

I’m comfortable that both Daniher and Fantasia will play a lot of football in the future. They’re 26 and 24 respectively. OP is a ■■■■■ but once you’re over it you’re usually over it. The main thing is getting a full throated commitment to the club rather than a half arsed maybe.

I don’t think he wants to coach but yes. Hang on he has never coached before who will be his mentor?

If I was put in charge id do the following

• Spend the first year getting my head around the financials, compliance reporting, audits, risk registers, legal, ohs, HR etc. First port of call is I’m not getting sued
  • spend most of the games hobnobbing with the coteries, have to keep them on side and hey I may as well network while i’ve got the chance.
  • make sure im well connected to the AFL as they are the number 1 stakeholder and i need to ensure ive got a strong relationship there.
  • better keep the big sponsors on side too, should meet with them regularly
  • in the quarterly catch ups with footy staff id at try and think of a curly question to at least appear knowledgeable. things like hey Truck dont you think it would be smart to play 2 KPFs, or hey Dodoro wouldn’t it be a good idea to recruit some payers that can kick the footy,

And there you have it, I can then spin this gig into hopefully better paying corporate gigs in the future, ka-ching.

You dont think the above is pretty much every club director league wide…

2 Likes

Is buying more poki venues an option?

1 Like

I’d start off picking my board so they can make the hard decisions
Hard,tough,uncompromising characters, all with different skill sets.
In no order of importance,heres a couple Id have no hesitation in getting on board:

1. Michael Corleone
    Pregame motivation, reputedly really good at getting his message across.
    Able to install a white line fever into a group at will.

2.Jordan Belfort
Jordan will be well suited as our main conduit to the AFL.
He will blend in beautifully with the other selfish,egomanic sharks and
should be able to increase revenue in very creative ways.
3.Yoda
There is no question we need to turn our culture around.
This guy has the runs on the board,and if you can’t see the resemblence between Gil and the Evil Emperor of the dark side, you should see a doctor.
4.Arny
Having learnt our lessons from a failed supplement program,it makes perfect sense to start another one with a guy that won many Mr.Universes with enough steroids to kill a Rhino.
“The Weapon?” Pfffftt.

5.Mick Dundee
We need a comeback year? Who better than this sharp talkin,knife weilding,Boomerang throwin’ lad.
We need to get our brand back.With great links to the land,
and indigenous relations-Mick is our man to find our next Long,Wanganeen,or Riolil.

2 Likes