What's the hell happened to sport?

Corruption has been in sport for over a hundred of years - It evens goes back to the first Olympic Games - Sometimes its easy to imagine things.
You should read up on the cheating that took place in the early versions of the Tour de France. Sht was like a fkn Road Runner cartoon
about corruption

I know about corruption, hence my response. The sentence ’ It’s easy to imagine things " is referring to the OP’s assertion that he is disenchanted with sport today because of corruption/cheating - This has always been a feature of sport.

Now revelations emerging that $25,000 was wagered on an obscure mixed doubles game at the Open. By contrast, $2000 had been wagered on all the other mixed doubles games combined that were occurring on the same day.

Game was done in 2 sets. Give you one guess what the first set score was - that’s right, 6-0.

How does that impact on your enjoyment of sport ? Do you follow tennis ? Did you have a particular interest in this particular match ? There has always been betting on sport - Difference is that it used to be underground and often through SP’s.

Crown Bet is a major AFL sponsor, estimated by Crown Bet at close to $10 million a year . Crown Bet (67% owned by Crown) claims the AFL as a partner. It has entered into a deal to stream AFL live on its app for the 2016 season.
Any mention in the AFL Financial Statement?
The Responsible Gambling Foundation must be despairing.

Sport is a form of recreation. As spectators, people tend to invest way to much time and emotion in it. There’s more important things in life than some silly game(s) you spend a few hours a week watching.

Sport is a form of recreation. As spectators, people tend to invest way to much time and emotion in it. There's more important things in life than some silly game(s) you spend a few hours a week watching.

This is absolutely true and I agree.

However even persons who take a casual interest in sport, including myself and I’m assuming yourself, are justifiably entitled to despair at its current state, imo. Even if you only take a passing interest in the afl, or world football, or tennis for example, it’s hard not to be despondent at the levels of corruption and match fixing plaguing these sports. Even as a casual viewer, it affects my enjoyment.

The US has long banned gambling on athlete sport, to do with corruption

The same thing that happened to music.
It went corporate. And at first everyone was like, well, this is kind of cool.
It deserves to be taken seriously. It looks good dressed up. Kind of classy.

But then business went from influencing it to owning it.
And it became a product.
And the product was used to sell other things.

And we all went, what the fark just happened?

Sport is a form of recreation. As spectators, people tend to invest way to much time and emotion in it. There's more important things in life than some silly game(s) you spend a few hours a week watching.

However even persons who take a casual interest in sport, including myself and I’m assuming yourself, are justifiably entitled to despair at its current state, imo. Even if you only take a passing interest in the afl, or world football, or tennis for example, it’s hard not to be despondent at the levels of corruption and match fixing plaguing these sports. Even as a casual viewer, it affects my enjoyment.

I treat all sport as choreographed as wrestling. I do feel sorry for the kids (and their parents) that spent their hard earned to attend matches etc.

Suits happened.

and Jennifer Capriati said, “look at me! look at me!”

It’s over Jennifer, you weren’t good enough.

I treat all sport as choreographed as wrestling. I do feel sorry for the kids (and their parents) that spent their hard earned to attend matches etc.

I don’t treat all, but a lot. Particularly cricket, and a fair bit of AFL I’m afraid.

Rugby League still has some integrity in my head, but that might be just because I have little interest in the News" on it now. I don’t even watch the NRL FS anymore, which I far preferred to the AFL vers.

The Matildas have been fantastic, just can’t imagine any skulldugerry or feigning there.

For the rest, they take varying amounts of stubbies to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy.

At present the recipe is 2 or 3 prior, & 1 per qtr to watch an AFL match.

*Perhaps that’s been the plan all along, to make it so bent that we have to consume copious amounts of alcohol to arrive at a child like acceptance that all is pure, so they can make even more money?

*Tongue only half cheeked.

When sports went from amateur to professional everything changed. It's no longer a past time it's now a job.

So yep money is the issue. Especially when fat cat administrators can just get rich by adding very little value to the sport. Look how many people the AFL employs. Why the hell do they need their own media department when there are plenty of other non independent media organisations willing to pedal the company line. The money makes it a self for-filling prophecy- they need more of it to keep ‘growing the game’ and their own bank balances.

Get rid of money from the organisations that run the sports and things will change.

I heard some discussion on this recently. Apparently the AFL employs around 650ish people equivalent full-time, (which is around 100% up on 5 years ago), and their wage bill has increased around 300% in the same period. So they are employing more people and paying them more.

The English Premier League employs 63 people full time.

The only difference I will add is that the AFL is also FIFA and the FA all rounded into one. But still their are too many mouths at the trough looking for a big payday for not actually playing.

But that’s society right…

A few of these BBL games have had, lets say, interesting results?

What’s the hell happened to grammar?

How many goal Joedan paid to kick?

No doubt for international big money sports the betting fix is in regularly, but I can’t see it in the AFL. More like broad engineering of circumstances to get a desired long term result. Which is just as f##ked but at least leaves something to chance and effort. I stopped watching tennis years ago, tedious. Great fun to play though.

1 Like

It’s a mickey mouse tournament where one over can change a whole match. Mixed results is not surprising because if you have one bad over in the field or batting then it’s a much longer way back than if it was a 50-over match

Aussie rules, NFL and couple others are a bit harder to fix, so the shave points instead (line betting)

Aussie rules is very easy to spot fix with all the bets on possessions you can have. Very easy for a couple of players to play kick to kick. How many games do you see defenders rack up huge numbers of disposals in the dying minutes by just passing it back and forth

Was talking about fixing the actual result, hence why they just tend to fix the line

When you can bet on the next ball, or next 5 minutes, you’re asking for corruption, but then I suspect the betting companies are more than complicit in that corruption.

1 Like

That’s true, it is random. But I think the fix has been in on some matches. Everyone seems to have forgotten / ignored that report from late last year:

There was one a few years ago where 47 million was bet on a single match. To put that in perspective, only 6 million was bet on the Melbourne Cup that year.

Linky: http://www.couriermail.com.au/cricket-australia-on-notice-after-more-than-600-million-bet-on-big-bash-games-this-summer/news-story/f5ed926d4b03111f652ecc0b0b68725c