What's your favourite fruit?

Citrus fruits. Even the sour ones.

What about canteloupe?

Cherries are indeed very good when they are in peak season.

Yes, the Medan durian is good, but although many rave about Thai durian I find it less flavoursome. Durian is not just one flavour as it has quite a variety in colour and texture. Most definitely one of the most interesting fruits that one can find. It is so sedaaaap!

1 Like

Soursop is just gorgeous when it’s properly ripe (though it does give you cancer in REALLY large amounts apparently…) but it’s impossible to get in Melbourne. It’s like cold-store peaches, goes from rock-hard to dried-out and fibrous in about 4 seconds flat. I couldn’t stop eating the fresh stuff in cape tribulation though.

3 Likes

@Humble Minion - Soursop also known as Custard Apple makes a delicious drink. It takes a bit of work to get rid of all the pips, (make sure the flesh is really ripe and soft) once you have the pulp separate from the seeds, add some sweet condensed milk and some ice. Crush it in a blender, put in the fridge for 30 minutes and you have heaven’s favourite fruit juice!

Must be small, because I can’t see ■■■■.

1 Like

When are you gunna grow up !

Yes, big and strong when you eat….

You could slip in a joke about quandongs here, alas I won’t touch it.

Soursop and custard apples are two separate fruits. Custard apples are the size of and shape of an orange, and covered in layers of rough scales which remind me of an artichoke, and usually a pale green colour. Soursops are much larger and flatter, irregular in shape, up to about a kilo, and a brighter green, covered in soft spikes. Refer to pictures.

Custard apple.

Soursop.

On my first trip to Vietnam in 1993 l had a stop off in Nha Trang for a few days. While there l found a small local company doing fruit flavoured soft drinks in tiny bottles, about the size of the small coke bottles from years ago. My two favourite flaovours were lychee and soursop. I looked in vain for them the next time l went back to Nha Trang some 3 years later. I guess the little company became a victim of globalization, and the opening up of the Vietnamese market to Coke, etc. It was a real pity, as it was a great product that had the tasted of the fruit down perfectly.

1 Like

71 posts and no one went Tayte.

1 Like

Hi Captain Jack. Loved the 2 pictures. The first one is also called Srikaya and the second one is called Sirsak or Sirasak. Where we were in East Indonesia, both were referred to as custard apple, although the Srikaya (available in the Sunshine Coast) was less common. The most readily available is the Sirsak or Soursop. That’s the one I was referring to that makes a delicious drink as per recipe in a previous post.

1 Like

I bought a papple today. Will report back when eaten.

1 Like

Both are great fruits, but l probably prefer Sirsak of the two. Today we went to Springvale for lunch market and a little shopping for my wife. We ended up at a fruit stall where we bagged 5 big avocadoes for $3. They are very ripe, so l have put 3 in the freezer. We also picked up a couple of big mangoes. My wife completely missed seeing the frozen Vietnamese durians, despite standing next to them. She eventually decided to get a small medium sized one, which cost $22. On the next stall were more durians that were $20 a kilo more.

I farking love ripe figs. I farking hate trying to peel ripe figs.

2 Likes

As a kid - feijoa, nectarines or passionfruit growing in ours or neighbourhood gardens.
As a widening adult I go low carb - cucumber, capsicum, olives, avocado, red wine…

2 Likes

If you want a weird ■■■■ tropical fruit that tastes great get a hold of some Lulo.

Can get it as a juice(frozen) from Latin American stores.

Native to Equador, Panama and north east Central America(Colombia,Venezuela etc)

1 Like

Pink lady apples
tomatoes

Then raspberries and blueberries on a pavlova

1 Like

Just scoff the lot

2 Likes