What's your funniest Essendon story

Windy Hill against Adelaide with Mrs Wim who was then still Miss.
Adelaide kicked one of their very few goals that day and she let out a quiet little ‘yay.’
Big burly bloke in front of us turns around and shouts ‘WHO SAID THAT?’

A few years i went and stood with the grog squad, we were getting smashed by the Pies. This gEssendon guy with a shaved head in front of me was going off calling every pie player and every umpire a ■■■■. A Bombers player got done for HTB (was an awful decision), about 30sec later and Essendon player had a pies player caught cold HTB- the ump didnt give it. This guy went off his nut. Ripped the "acceptable behaviour" sign off the concrete wall beside him, stomped on it and threw it in the bin.

One of the funniest things i have ever seen at a game

Great idea for a thread BTW

PM mendozzzza about it.

even funnier him getting kicked out for it.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
- Shakespeare (and benny)

Made the long road trip to Radelaide in 2009 for our first finals birth for since 2005 I think.

After getting thumped from one end of the park to the other, the Essendon faithful decided that if we had nothing to cheer for on the field, we’d start a bit of fun ourselves. The chant went up “you still live in Adelaide…”, with one supporter asking the locals “what do you even do in Adelaide?”. A proud local stated “it’s the city of churches!”, to which the young lad responded “God isn’t even REAL!”.

Never seen a crowd go so quiet so quickly in all my life. Priceless.

The Plan…
In 84 a mate and i took advantage of the cheap air fares leaving Melb for Perth.
We would catch up with some old footy mates,hire a car have a look around,hook up with some Fairstars ladies whom we had already had the pleasure of. Generally run amok and finally hit the big party bbq and watch the GF.

The Funny part…
Mates girlfriend promises to ring us with the result of game,so we can win on the punt and clean up!!!

How…
Perth is 3 hours behind…I can let you know who won.And by how much.

Result… We still laugh about it till this day.

The wash up…
He married her of course,definitely a keeper.

The grey away strip abomination.

A few anecdotes from the 2001 end of season trip when the boys cancelled their US trip cos of 9/11 and came to Cairns instead. The boys were frequenting the bar I worked in pretty much every night and I got on the ■■■■ with them a couple of times.

1. I had to stay back and close up one night and the boss wouldn’t let me out early to get on the ■■■■. I mentioned to a couple of the players that my boss was a Scum supporter which is why he wasn’t letting me out early. Cue Fletch and C McGrath standing on bar stools and giving my boss the “Mick is a wanker” treatment at the top of their lungs. Was funny as hell and my boss took it really well.

2. Standing out the front of the bar with Blumfied and Heffernan waiting for a couple of the other fellas to finish up. Some drunk chick comes racing up all excited to see the Essendon boys. She’s carrying a McDonald’s traymat with a bunch of autographs from some of the players. Anyway, as Blumfield is signing her traymat he tells this girl that I’m the new gun ruckman the club has just recruited. She asks me for my autograph so I signed it. I still get a chuckle thinking of her with all these treasured Bomber autographs, and mine too.

I remember a very, very drunk Mark Harvey telling me he wanted to recruit me “cos your a big unit and you can run through ■■■■■. Need more blokes who can run through ■■■■■”.

A few weeks after the Bomber lads left the Port boys came into town. I met Wanganeen and told him how much I hated him leaving and wished he still played for the Bombers. He smiled and simply said “me too”.

My dad used to work at the club so we used to go into the rooms after games.
One time at Windy Hill my brother in law came to the footy with us, and brought a few mates.
They’d hopped into the turps before the game, drank all day, and were pretty much blind by the end of it.
But we got into the rooms, and one of them, Gazza, bailed up Tim Watson.
He started telling Timmy how much he’d watched him growing up, what a great player he’d been.
Tim was trying to get out of his footy gear and into the showers.
But Gaz would remember some game in the 80s when Tim saved the day, or the game at Waverley when Timmy kicked a bag of goals.
By this time Tim was down to a pair of jocks, but Gaz still wouldn’t take the hint.
He burbled on about how his missus would be so jealous of Gazza standing there talking to Timmy in his jocks.
With towel around his shoulder, Tim took off the jocks, Gazza still not twigging on to the fact the Timmy had other places to be.
It was at that moment that the room, for some unknown reason just got quiet. The journos had done their interviews, the rest of the players were in the showers. Some were coming out, and getting dried and changed.
“Geez you’ve got a massive donk on ya” says Gaz. Everyone turned to see who said it, and about who he said it.
And Timmy left, hobbling as fast as he could away from him.

At Windy Hill.
Big Carl playing for Melbourne,he would run around with a large white pocket handkerchief ,hanging out his waist between jumper and shorts.
It was a mid winters day and he lost it in a pack situation.
Ditterich searched to no avail.And play moved on.
Alan Noonan had found it, he had some fun with it,before tossing it into the mud and standing on it.

Funny and dangerous!

Any old timers who know more about Big Carls Hanky phase? Or why he carried it feel free to add any info.
Bit Bizzarro! when you think about it

Not sure on what year it was…Someone will know…

Ess v Fark Carlton…

SOS kicks out of full back, Completely screws it up and kicks it straight to Scotty Lucas. That beautiful left foot sails it over the umps hat…Game over…

Fark Carlton

Fark SOS

I think this was around 1999-2000 and TD was coaching the 2s. We were walking through Richmond to get to the 'G before the game, we see TD parking his car in a residential parking area not too far from where The Precinct is (it was The Depot back in those days). The bloke I went to the footy lets him know he’s gonna get a ticket, TD casually replies with “Nah, she’ll be right mate!” Had a good chat to him as we made our way to the ground. After we make our way back to our car, TD has about 3 parking tickets on his windscreen! Champion!

Any quarter/three quarter time huddle when TD was coaching the VFL team. So much country-style swearing.

I didn’t actually think this was that funny, but my friends did…

back when Lloydy had the finger tendon injury, we’d been at training one day, and were chatting to the players at the end of the session.

In conversation with Lloydy, I asked what he found the most frustrating about his injury (at that stage he still had the splint etc)

He pointed to his shoes and said “Not being able to do up my shoelaces”.

So I did what I thought anyone would do for someone in the same situation - I offered to do his shoelaces up for him.

He laughed and said it was ok, he’d gotten used to it.

A few minutes later he left, and I turned around to see my friends in fits of laughter. I didn’t see what the big deal was , but hey, glad I was a source of amusement :blush:

When Justin Madden still played for us he and Simon were at a footy clinic for my primary school. I must’ve been 5 or 6 years old. Justin was good fun, letting us climb all over him, hoisting kids in the air, that sorta thing, till suddenly one kid asked, “why is your chin like that?”

All the kids dropped their footys and came near to study the dimple on his chin. “It’s a deep hole,” proclaimed one. “It looks like someone hammered a nail into it,” observed another. And then some tyke came up with the most astute comment of all: “it looks like a bum!”

The chant was quick to follow. “Bum chin! Bum chin! Bum chin! Bum chin!” Our faces all lit up as we found voice. Justin’s smile turned to a grimace. Footys were picked up and kicked to the beat of the chant. It continued for the rest of the clinic.

Kids can be so cruel.

Simon was loving it.

Although I’ve never heard it … it sounds like “Doing up someones shoelaces” , is, or was once a known & used euphemism.

You can u/stand why, if it was. …

Although I've never heard it .. it sounds like "Doing up someones shoelaces" , is, or was once a known & used euphemism.

I would say it more likely became one right then and there.

Although I've never heard it .. it sounds like "Doing up someones shoelaces" , is, or was once a known & used euphemism.

I always thought Bob Dylan thought it was.

In 1974 Essendon were playing Norf at Arden Street and I was all of ten years old standing in the pocket with dad near the old gasometer. Anyway the play is just in front of us and Don McKenzie picks up a loose ball and is about to be tackled and a whistle goes. Everyone stops and the umpire calls play on, Mckenzie goes to run off and a whistle goes and everyone stops again. The umpire yells "play on it wasn't me". It happens twice more and all players stop. Eventually everyone realises some guy in the crowd is blowing a whistle. To a ten year old it was rather funny.
It must have been 1964 as Don McKenzie (the last of the 6'1" ruckmen) was retired by '74.

Simon Madden marks in the forward at Windy Hill next to the point post early 90s. Shaping up to kick a bannana, he baulks the West Coast defender (Brennan?) on the mark, and slots the goal from the square.

In 1974 Essendon were playing Norf at Arden Street and I was all of ten years old standing in the pocket with dad near the old gasometer. Anyway the play is just in front of us and Don McKenzie picks up a loose ball and is about to be tackled and a whistle goes. Everyone stops and the umpire calls play on, Mckenzie goes to run off and a whistle goes and everyone stops again. The umpire yells "play on it wasn't me". It happens twice more and all players stop. Eventually everyone realises some guy in the crowd is blowing a whistle. To a ten year old it was rather funny.
It must have been 1964 as Don McKenzie (the last of the 6'1" ruckmen) was retired by '74.

No he wasn’t. 1974 was his final season.