First year draftees who played round 1 recentlyish, there might be others

2014 - zmerret, Ambrose
2013 - Kommer
2012 -
2011 - Hepp
2010 -
2009 - hurls

It does happe

The only players from the draft I could imagine putting pressure on our starting 22 would be Brown and maybe Parish and Francis some time during the season.

Of the fringe players the ones under pressure for mine should be all of the older players. We should keep developing our 2nd to 4th/5th year youngsters. Let the first year players earn their spot. So players impacted by the draft?

Pears, (hello Mitch Brown)
Gwilt, (hello Mitch Brown)
Dempsey (assuming he’s played forward) - maybe Francis during the year who looks good on a lead and has pace. If Dempsey’s role is back I don’t think he has a spot any more.
Zaka - I love him but only his best footy should get him a game now. Maybe Parish has his spot covered some time during the year if he can handle the physicality of the AFL
Edwards - he is young and developing but needs to produce to keep a few of our talented draftees out.
Jackson Merrett - its time to deliver, as some of the young draftees would love to fill the 5 - 10 possession, 1 goal and 3-5 tackle a game role.

Howlett will be replaced by players returning from injury.
Ambrose will be replaced by Smac.
There is no spot for Cooney. He won’t be signed up next year (it was a 2 year contract, right?).

The draftees should not replace Gleeson, Fantasia, Laverde or Langford for mine.

Goddard really seemed to be losing it last year. Kicking was off and some bad decision making too. If his form continues to drop off there might be an opening for Francis.

Goddard really seemed to be losing it last year. Kicking was off and some bad decision making too. If his form continues to drop off there might be an opening for Francis.

I admit his kicking was lacking penetration attimes. I suspect he was carrying an injury. He’ll be back to his best next year.

I admit his kicking was lacking penetration attimes. I suspect he was carrying an injury. He’ll be back to his best next year.

There was a game late in the year (Crows maybe?) where he injured his ankle, came back on and was shanking it for the rest of the year. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was it.

There was a game late in the year (Crows maybe?) where he injured his ankle, came back on and was shanking it for the rest of the year. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was it.

What excuse is there for the bonehead plays earlier in the season?
Example…
Handballing directly to a Swans player who calmly runs inside 50 and kicks a goal.

The signs are there that he’s lost the edge used to have.

Example…
Handballing directly to a Swans player who calmly runs inside 50 and kicks a goal.

I was specifically talking about the kicking. No argument from me that he’s no longer the guy he was back in 2010.

First year draftees who played round 1 recentlyish, there might be others

2014 - zmerret, Ambrose
2013 - Kommer
2012 -
2011 - Hepp
2010 -
2009 - hurls

It does happe

2010 Howlett

Goddard was losing it because the whole farking team collapsed like a house of cards after the wada appeal happened.

Suspect Essendon may field a taller forward line under Worsfold.
Also, imagine that Pears, Kommer and maybe Ambrose would/should struggle to be on the selection radar unless they find exceptional form or an epidemic strikes down most of the rest of the players.

Example…

Yep, Goddard made many a turnover in the Brisbane game (round 3?) He came good at the end with a goal but for the majority of the game he was a liability. Cooney was pretty good that day though.

Ive heard too much white rice can cause trouble, so on that basis id say St Kilda could be most impacted from this draft.

Coat. Getting it.

There is a heap of kids that are sitting on the fringe that simply need to put on a lot of weight, and build their endurance.

We’ve been waiting for these kids to transition between Flank and midfield. They haven’t done it.

There is a lot of these kids on the list.

Great thread,

Including the 2 from the trade period

Bird, Loony, Frances and Brown
Are all a very big chance to start next year. Parish is the others I am not as certain about, but Im pretty sure he will play senior footy at some stage. Lot of pressure on many now really, but there are of course still at least a handful of walk up starts.

I found it interesting when doing a best 22 side that (when fully fit) we seem to have a surplus of slow big bodied inside mids. All of who are aging. Great players like Hocking, Myers, Howlett and Bird may find it harder to get a game if we are really serious about injecting some youth and pace.

Hard to see Goddard, Stanton, Watson, Heppel, Myers, Howlett, Bird, and Hocking in the same team together. It is however unlikely that all would be available at the same time. But if we are serious about injecting pace and youth guys like Howlett will struggle to get a game.

Come the end of the year if Francis has a backline rebound role sewn up and were keen on strengthening our draft position, assuming gleeson progresses and ashby remains as depth. I’d look at moving hibberd on. Love him but I think he’s possibly expendable for something we want.

Francis will play Round 1 if he gets through the pre-season. He’s AFL ready and seriously talented.

Many have mentioned Bird possibly pushing out Howlett but he may push out Hocking instead. I don’t think we would want to go in with 2 taggers & I’m not sure if Hocking can then keep a midfield spot as a more attacking option. Howlett may be more in competition with Cooney, Fanta, Irish & if Kommer gets fit for a half forward role.

Parish & Francis get an opportunity anytime they are fit. The whole purpose of taking 2 of the best kids in the land is to play them! If Howlett, Cooney, Ambrose, Zaka etc miss out, oh well…goodbye mediocrity!

Mckernan plays CHF- aggressive, good below knees, marking not great but will contest and compliment Daniher. Brown good coverage, better mark but not got the presence McKernan can bring.

Rucks become interesting do leuwy/tbc both play or rotate? pre season best answer for all clubs with new rotations. I’m going with only one (club don’t want Daniher anywhere near ruck) and smack goes no.2

Small fwd still ??? (club over moon about Eades) but I’m backing the Irishman early on. Already changed shape, improved kicking skills- I’m putting money on a gem here.

Backline - Hurley, Hooker, Bags injury free enough said.

Depth looks good, could have a good year if Woosha makes the hard calls.

Parish & Francis get an opportunity anytime they are fit. The whole purpose of taking 2 of the best kids in the land is to play them! If Howlett, Cooney, Ambrose, Zaka etc miss out, oh well...goodbye mediocrity!
What about making them earn games first? They haven't even done a training session yet.
Come the end of the year if Francis has a backline rebound role sewn up and were keen on strengthening our draft position, assuming gleeson progresses and ashby remains as depth. I'd look at moving hibberd on. Love him but I think he's possibly expendable for something we want.

I don’t think you understand the meaning of the word love.

FWIW, I personally think it is in poor taste to be considering next years trades before we’ve even finished this years draft process. Can we not just enjoy the preseason without concerning ourselves with who we can strip the sash off and condemn to a career in some other rubbish colours. It’s Tipmas for ■■■■■ sake… get in the spirit.