Windy Hill $50M redevelopment

Glenbervie.

9 Likes

Yep my mistake. That is where all the Filth supporters from Broadie and Jacana used to get off.

1 Like

We aren’t moving back to Windy Hill. Rather we are just putting a stake in the ground and claiming it back for our female footy sides and for our VFL team.

4 Likes

It makes way more sense to have all our non-AFL games at Windy hill.

The hanger just isn’t suitable for official Football games.

2 Likes

This seems win win win.

Windy Hill stops rotting and we have more of a presence there than we have for years.

Essendon teams will play games there.

The substantial public space will actually be appealing to the public to use.

It is an opportune time to sell the pokies licence to some other establishment and gives time to replace the revenue.

But, will it happen?

2 Likes

Or get the 59 tram and get off at Stop 41 at Essendon junction.

4 Likes

10 Likes

We need a space in the heartland to celebrate our grand final wins

5 Likes

EFA.

2 Likes

I hate going to Highgate so this would be lovely

3 Likes

Does this mean the ground is open to all for AFLW, VFLW and VFL games? No admission $$?

They’ve never charged for those games previously, certainly VFL/VFLW you can just walk in…

1 Like

I’m going to make an effort to go to way more VFL games, now.

I haven’t enjoyed going to Windy Hill over the past 10 years…

Probably been about 3 or 4 years or so since I went to a VFL match - thought it was free for members (me) but for non-members it was $5 or so. At least at some grounds. Victoria Park is open so free for all.

Looking at the design above it looks like it will be open parkland without fencing. On this basis I assume admission to VFL and AFLW matches will be free.

It’s been free at Windy Hill and the Hangar for a lot longer than that.

I think Collingwood are the only other one that lets everyone into VFL games for free.

VFLW games only have a charge if it’s part of a double-header at a club that charges for VFL games.

2 Likes

Too slow, Paul!

1 Like

I was on the board with DJ and can’t speak more highly of him. He donated a HUGE amount of time, work and money to the club out of love for it over the years and I never detected any self-interest. I shudder to think how much money he and his company (now run by his daughter) gave up by donating time and expertise to club projects, particularly with the Tulla development but also with his years of service to the board and club long before that, he and his family are passionate Essendon people. Any suggestion he grifted a Director spot for reasons other than to help the club is very unfair.

34 Likes

Craigieburn is one of the worst footy grounds in Melbourne.

2 Likes